Fantasy/Paranormal Discussion

For January 2019, we'll be reading fantasy/paranormal books.
Post Reply
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5537
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie by Susan Marie Chapman
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Fantasy/Paranormal Discussion

Post by hsimone » 07 Jan 2019, 20:35

We are beginning 2019 with some fantasy/paranormal reads, which I'm super excited about. It's my favorite genre!

The fantasy genre is set in a fictional world, uses magic or other supernatural elements, and tends to be speculative (i.e. What if vampires were real?).

The paranormal genre revolves around the paranormal, which "is described to lie beyond normal experience or scientific explanation." (Wikipedia)

---

Here are some questions we can use when discussing books for this month:
  • What are you planning to read or have read for this month?
  • Describe the elements of the book that make it a fantasy and/or paranormal read.
  • Was it enjoyable?
  • Share the rating and recommended audience for the book.
Can't wait to see what everyone is reading and/or have read for this month! :mrgreen2:
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 32221
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: 39 Winks
Bookshelf Size: 922
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 10 Jan 2019, 20:47

Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:


I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

User avatar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 6727
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Fire Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Jan 2019, 20:49

I've actually read several paranormal books lately. The Size of the Moon which I did a review on. I liked the paranormal element. It was just the characters and relationships that were confusing.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
Tessa Morgan
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 01:30
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Tessa Morgan » 11 Jan 2019, 01:50

Gravy wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:47
Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:


I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
After seeing how exited you are over these books I am going to give them a go! I have been looking for a new book series to sink my teeth into, I have not been able to find one that I like yet. I will let you know what I think :-)

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 32221
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: 39 Winks
Bookshelf Size: 922
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 11 Jan 2019, 02:44

Tessa Morgan wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 01:50
Gravy wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:47
Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:


I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
After seeing how exited you are over these books I am going to give them a go! I have been looking for a new book series to sink my teeth into, I have not been able to find one that I like yet. I will let you know what I think :-)
Awesome! :D
I'm glad my obsession is appreciated. :lol: :)

Just in case it's helpful...

There are currently 13 books (I just finished the latest one), so it's a good amount already available.
Rosemary and Rue starts the series, and you can find the series order on the Bookshelves here. (I just made sure that it is in the correct order.) :tiphat:
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

User avatar
Tessa Morgan
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 01:30
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Tessa Morgan » 11 Jan 2019, 06:52

Gravy wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 02:44
Tessa Morgan wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 01:50
Gravy wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:47
Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:


I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
After seeing how exited you are over these books I am going to give them a go! I have been looking for a new book series to sink my teeth into, I have not been able to find one that I like yet. I will let you know what I think :-)
Awesome! :D
I'm glad my obsession is appreciated. :lol: :)

Just in case it's helpful...

There are currently 13 books (I just finished the latest one), so it's a good amount already available.
starts the series, and you can find the series order on the Bookshelves . (I just made sure that it is in the correct order.) :tiphat:
Ha! Awesome, I love long book series, especially if they are good. I bought the first one already can't wait to start reading :)

PS. Your obsession is appreciated by a fellow obsessive soul when it comes to books 8)

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1231
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Me and My Sparrow by Yvonne Valle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 11 Jan 2019, 07:19

So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

User avatar
Tessa Morgan
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 01:30
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Tessa Morgan » 11 Jan 2019, 07:42

Bianka Walter wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:19
So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
Sarah J. Maas has a way to do that to you! I have cried over so many characters in both her Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses book series. Her books are so gripping, I finished the A Court o Thorns and Roses series in one weekend, I couldn't stop. And I have to re-read the books because I totally miss the characters and the story.

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5537
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie by Susan Marie Chapman
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 12 Jan 2019, 19:18

Gravy wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:47
Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:


I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
These all sound awesome! Thanks for sharing :tiphat:

So, would you recommend the October Daye series?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5537
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie by Susan Marie Chapman
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 12 Jan 2019, 19:21

Bianka Walter wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:19
So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
I've been meaning to read the Throne of Glass series for a while now. There's just so many books and so little time! :lol: It's great to know that you enjoyed the series though. Gets me excited to try it, too!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
AnnaKathleen
Posts: 194
Joined: 13 Feb 2018, 20:16
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 1086
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by AnnaKathleen » 13 Jan 2019, 11:57

Bianka Walter wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:19
So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
Holy ravioli! I am so happy to find someone else reading the series! I'm finishing Queen of Shadows right now and I love it so much. Each book just gets better. My feelings about the series ending are mixed; Sure, I'll be able to finish it all but I also will be FINISHING it. That's great and terrible at the same time. I enjoyed her other series too, but something about this one if just so grand and elaborate that I think I love it just a little more than ACOTAR. Have you read those books too?
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

User avatar
AnnaKathleen
Posts: 194
Joined: 13 Feb 2018, 20:16
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 1086
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by AnnaKathleen » 13 Jan 2019, 12:00

Tessa Morgan wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:42
Sarah J. Maas has a way to do that to you! I have cried over so many characters in both her Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses book series. Her books are so gripping, I finished the A Court o Thorns and Roses series in one weekend, I couldn't stop. And I have to re-read the books because I totally miss the characters and the story.
I read A Court of Thorns and Roses so fast. It was my first SJM series. Whenever I hit a book slump I re-read the them. Maas is amazing at weaving a story you don't want to put down, I swear.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1231
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Me and My Sparrow by Yvonne Valle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 13 Jan 2019, 12:56

AnnaKathleen wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 11:57
Bianka Walter wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:19
So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
Holy ravioli! I am so happy to find someone else reading the series! I'm finishing Queen of Shadows right now and I love it so much. Each book just gets better. My feelings about the series ending are mixed; Sure, I'll be able to finish it all but I also will be FINISHING it. That's great and terrible at the same time. I enjoyed her other series too, but something about this one if just so grand and elaborate that I think I love it just a little more than ACOTAR. Have you read those books too?
I’m so jealous that you have so many still to read.
I’ve actually stayed away from ACOTAR because I found with Throne of Glass, with the year in between, I forgot a lot of stuff that was happening. So I wanna rather binge them all together.
If it’s anything like this series, though, I’m already in love.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

User avatar
AnnaKathleen
Posts: 194
Joined: 13 Feb 2018, 20:16
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 1086
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by AnnaKathleen » 13 Jan 2019, 13:43

Bianka Walter wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 12:56
AnnaKathleen wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 11:57
Bianka Walter wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:19
So, I am actually reading the seventh (and final) instalment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. This has been one of my favourite series' of all times, and Kingdom of Ash is not disappointing. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. I'm sad that it will be finished when I'm done. It's a series that I will definitely re-read. I am so involved in all of the characters that (as with any great finale) when someone dies, I cry actual tears.
I recommend it. Hard.
If someone is looking for a fantasy series to get into, this one is amazeballs.
Holy ravioli! I am so happy to find someone else reading the series! I'm finishing Queen of Shadows right now and I love it so much. Each book just gets better. My feelings about the series ending are mixed; Sure, I'll be able to finish it all but I also will be FINISHING it. That's great and terrible at the same time. I enjoyed her other series too, but something about this one if just so grand and elaborate that I think I love it just a little more than ACOTAR. Have you read those books too?
I’m so jealous that you have so many still to read.
I’ve actually stayed away from ACOTAR because I found with Throne of Glass, with the year in between, I forgot a lot of stuff that was happening. So I wanna rather binge them all together.
If it’s anything like this series, though, I’m already in love.
I completely understand that! There are similarities here and there, enough that you can tell she was working on both at the same time. Some people I know were frustrated with some of the similar details but, overall, I thought they were both pretty different series. When you have spare time you might want to check it out, but ToG will forever be the best. The only thing I will warm you about it ACOTAR is a little more new adult than young adult so there are some intimacy scenes - I don't know if you mind that sort of thing.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1231
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Me and My Sparrow by Yvonne Valle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 13 Jan 2019, 14:41

AnnaKathleen wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 13:43
Bianka Walter wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 12:56
AnnaKathleen wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 11:57


Holy ravioli! I am so happy to find someone else reading the series! I'm finishing Queen of Shadows right now and I love it so much. Each book just gets better. My feelings about the series ending are mixed; Sure, I'll be able to finish it all but I also will be FINISHING it. That's great and terrible at the same time. I enjoyed her other series too, but something about this one if just so grand and elaborate that I think I love it just a little more than ACOTAR. Have you read those books too?
I’m so jealous that you have so many still to read.
I’ve actually stayed away from ACOTAR because I found with Throne of Glass, with the year in between, I forgot a lot of stuff that was happening. So I wanna rather binge them all together.
If it’s anything like this series, though, I’m already in love.
I completely understand that! There are similarities here and there, enough that you can tell she was working on both at the same time. Some people I know were frustrated with some of the similar details but, overall, I thought they were both pretty different series. When you have spare time you might want to check it out, but ToG will forever be the best. The only thing I will warm you about it ACOTAR is a little more new adult than young adult so there are some intimacy scenes - I don't know if you mind that sort of thing.
Wait. You still have the rest of ToG to get through :) It gets super steamy.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Post Reply

Return to “January 2019 Genre Discussion”