A lawyer's perspective

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
KateM234
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Currently Reading: Betrayal in Blue
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katem234.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: A lawyer's perspective

Post by KateM234 » 22 Jan 2019, 09:31

As a previous law student and someone who worked in the health insurance industry for many years, I feel like the two worlds are almost completely intertwined. Politics change the way health care operates on such a frequent basis it's a wonder that everyone can keep up! I enjoyed the legal perspective given to the conversation not only because this is an area of which I have some experience, but because in reality I don't think you can have a true conversation about healthcare without understanding the legal involvements around it and for those who weren't aware of those legal implications this novel can be very enlightening!

Rangerkay
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Rangerkay » 24 Jan 2019, 11:45

I think having a lawyer's perspective can be very helpful when reading a book that discusses this. While they are persuasive (it's their job), I also feel like they can peer behind the mask and understand the legal issues more than untrained eyes can. More than one perspective is great when discussing the differences between natural and synthetic processes to cure cancer. Is it a trap to keep us sick and dependent on our government for medical assistance or is it our country working to better our lives against a disease no one fully understands?

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Eleanor's Daughter by June Hall McCash
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 31 Jan 2019, 05:38

A lawyer's perspective could only shed more light on how difficult it is to make alternative means of treatment available to the general public. My personal opinion is that it is nothing more degrading than playing with people's health and hopes to get better just to make profit, as the big pharmaceutical companies do.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

KSaxer
Currently Reading: 24 Hours That Changed The World
Bookshelf Size: 615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksaxer.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by KSaxer » 01 Feb 2019, 14:25

Knowing the explanation of the chemistry behind the supplements and how they worked came from a non-scientist affected my perspective. I honestly was glad her father had a lawyer for a daughter so she would know her legal options for fighting for his wish. I would be able to recognize it wasn't right, but not necessarily know the next steps or even the right person to go to get help.

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 03 Feb 2019, 17:49

amybo82 wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 06:51
Anyone can write a book on any topic. One of the first things I do when reading a book, especially nonfiction, is find out about the author. What are their qualifications? What are their biases? I’m this instance, we have an author who studied law, not medicine. She has a bias against the government, who tried to discredit her father. She has a bias against traditional medicine, again because of what happened to her father. When I read the book with these things in mind, it gives me a different outlook. It’s important to try to get a full picture, and I think this could be considered one part of the puzzle, but I certainly don’t think it’s the authority on every case of cancer and the associated “cures.”

I too find this compelling. I don't think that having a scientist father makes you credible as a scientist, and I am sure there are some who would find her father's science to be poorly done or to have flaws that are not necessarily obvious to a non-scientist reader (or to the non-scientist daughter who loves her father). It may be that elements of her father's research that we as readers are unaware of contributed to the government crackdown against his research for more valid reasons than are painted here.

That's not to disagree that there aren't shady aspects to big pharma, imperfect issues with government regulation and health, or that legal perspectives aren't useful in understanding the health industry. But I'm not 100% persuaded by this author's credentials nor do I think its necessarily her place to be prescribing healthcare protocols...
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: More Heavens Than One
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Bluebird03 » 04 Feb 2019, 13:06

I agree that a lawyer's perspective is warranted. It adds another voice and layer of interest to the book or storyline.

a9436
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by a9436 » 04 Feb 2019, 14:27

I would like to say that a lawyer will always have a critical eye on things, and look at the tiny details, which is vital when considering the pharmaceutical industry. However, I may be being very naiive here!

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Will of The Hill
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Zora C Penter » 04 Feb 2019, 22:32

a9436 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 14:27
I would like to say that a lawyer will always have a critical eye on things, and look at the tiny details, which is vital when considering the pharmaceutical industry. However, I may be being very naiive here!
I wouldn't say naive. You make a good point! The war on cancer is also an interdisciplinary issue and will need interdisciplinary solutions.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”