Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Will of The Hill
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by Zora C Penter » 04 Feb 2019, 13:28

dreamthewilderness wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 22:50
I wouldn't call it a conspiracy at this point, since it's so dang obvious, but there are those that would call us conspiracy theorists just for suggesting it. At the end of the day, it's the pharmaceutical INDUSTRY made up of privately owned companies whose highest end-goal is profit. Successful medicine is bad for that kind of business.
Well said! Their ultimate goal is to make money. I do think that they may want people to be healthy...but healthy while continually relying on their products.

Tiny_Turtle
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 05 Feb 2019, 11:37

I completely agree with your statement,
I find that insurance companies, particularly state health insurance, is often willing to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for highly addictive, dangerous substances to treat pain and chronic pain disorders. These same companies are entirely unwilling to pay for massage therapy, which may be just as successful and significantly less dangerous. They may pay for physical therapy, but only up to twelve sessions a year. Forget about acupuncture, that won't be covered in the slightest.
I have chronic pain and the insurance company is more than willing to pay for oxycodone for pain, but are unwilling to pay for any of the treatments I have requested, such as acupuncture, acupressure, massage, inversion therapy, herbal medicine, etc. I even asked for a nutritional therapist to help with inflammation issues. I've done my own research, but that's not the point. If they were truly interested in helping people get well, they would be willing to pay for more than just drugs. They are also willing to pay for surgery which I refuse to do.

Big Pharma and insurance companies work together to treat the symptoms (some of which are caused by the medications), instead of working to eliminate the cause of the problem. Sadly, it's all about the money.

Chikari
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari » 09 Feb 2019, 04:01

melissah30 wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 06:15
I definitely don't trust "Big Pharma", but at the same time, I do think modern medicine is very helpful. The problem is corporate greed. I can definitely believe some of the more conspiracy theory sides to this book. I personally believe the whole US government is a scam. If they can keep us sick, poor, and stupid, they can keep people from uprising or whatever it is they're afraid we'll do.
I agree with all of this! Modern medicine can be very helpful, but in the United States money plays too big of a role. They don't seem to even both researching medicine that could be made cheaper and made more available because then they would lose money.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**

Kendra M Parker
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: The Dragon In The Garden
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Star Marque Rising by Shami Stoivall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker » 09 Feb 2019, 20:28

I would agree that it seems to me that there is certainly some impression of conspiracy between Big Pharma and the US government. It goes back to the idea that Big Pharma has money for lobbying.

Still, I’m not sure where the lines get drawn. Sylvie’s family certainly experienced some significant hardships in France. Was it conspiracy? Perhaps. Do her products work the way she says? I’m not completely convinced. It almost seems a bit too convenient and a bit like marketing.

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 143
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Ultra Blue by L. M. du Preez

Post by NL Hartje » 11 Feb 2019, 17:08

Well, I'm not sure anyone disagrees with the idea of "Big Pharma" being a real entity. And truly, there are likely hundreds of thousands of workers who work for large pharmaceuticals who have ZERO say or profit share. Although I stand firmly against price gouging in any way, I wonder what the alternate plea is concerning the number of workers employable in correlation with the prices charged. I hope to see a change someday in the Big Pharma industries but I worry about how it will affect the number of lower class workers' jobs in the sector.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

Post by Kelyn » 15 Feb 2019, 14:45

Unfortunately, I've seen chemo fail more than I've seen it succeed with the people in my life. I have also known a couple of people who felt it was the biggest mistake they had ever made due to the ... lingering ... effects. I honestly do believe that Big Pharma actively combats the use of more natural (and sometimes more successful) treatments. Note I did not say cures. They don't even want the public to know about natural alternatives that might be helpful, much less more effective than pharmaceuticals. However expensive it might be to cover these up, that is nothing to the money they make by ensuring that people choose their drugs. So long as that is the case, their "conspiracy" to stifle natural methods will continue.
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA » 16 Feb 2019, 15:05

Big pharma is very much a reality, seen most horrifically in the USA. I've lived in three countries- one with universal health care (UK), one with extremely affordable health insurance and social benefits (Germany) and the USA, where we only went to the doctor if it looked like we were basically dying. This is due to big pharma.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Shielasshi_93 » Yesterday, 22:49

Well, it does sound true and come to think of it... pharmaceutical companies have researched for a medicine that could cure cancer for many years but up to this day they haven't produced one.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”