Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
mamilla93
2019 Reading Goal: 400
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 30

Re: Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by mamilla93 » 30 Jan 2019, 21:57

Well, I wouldn't say conspiracy, but, Big Pharma is a corporate business and the example of greed and capitalism at its worst.

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 31 Jan 2019, 02:17

I think Big Pharma is a BIG reality. As we see the cancer is being spread in the world, especially in third world countries, in a "planned way" provides sufficient proof of the monopoly of Big Pharma in the world. These companies with many other world Mafias create such environment and food items that are injecting cancer in small children and adults. They become cancer prone and receive the disease of cancer easily. And then the work of Big pharmaceutical companies starts as they sell cancer medicine and earn billion. So they would never ever like to abolish this disease. Rather, they are working to promote it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 31 Jan 2019, 02:29

Eva Darrington wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 21:43
briellejee wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 21:28
I am sorry about the side effects. How are you now though? I am also aware that most, if not all, of these doctors and companies have a greed and blame it on the cancer rather than on chemo. My grandmother, a surgical nurse, had cancer and she told my mom not to put her on chemo because itswno use and she wants to die peacefully. No use in extending her life anymore if it would be attached to drugs. But she's old, so i guess she felt it's time to go. I dont know how it would be to young people who still want to see what life is in store for them.
My diagnosis was 10 years ago. I wouldn't call them side effects. They are permanent, life-altering effects. Yes, it is a more complicated decision for a young person. I would not choose it at any age and am glad people are beginning to write about their experiences with these practices.
You are right, the time has come to introduce people with alternative healing methods to cure cancer. As not every one can afford the traditional expensive healing methods (chemotherapy or radiotherapy)of cancer. Alternative methods are more safe, less costly, and less painful. And the way this disease is spreading day by day has increased the value of alternative healing techniques for cancer.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Eleanor's Daughter by June Hall McCash
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 31 Jan 2019, 05:05

The only thing I can tell you is that I'm growing tired of so many commercials to different miraculous medicines and of seeing more and more people virtually ruining their health by trying one pill or another every time they have a headache or anything else. I know that cancer is something else entirely, but I have this inner conviction that even cancer can be beaten with more natural, alternative means of treatment.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

Briannahm12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Briannahm12 » 31 Jan 2019, 09:18

I agree with the other reviewers because yes big pharma is a business but also Pharma is a BIG reality. As we see the cancer is being spread in the world, especially in third world countries, in a "planned way" provides sufficient proof of the monopoly of Big Pharma in the world.

TheMain_Jane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheMain_Jane » 31 Jan 2019, 17:21

I will need to read this book. I don't know much about Big Pharma, but I think any US citizen who has been very ill or had a loved become ill very quickly realizes the shortcomings of our healthcare system. My son got very ill when he was a baby with Reactive Airway Disease. It cost us 15,000 out of pocket and that was WITH insurance. Then, my daughter was diagnosed with Autism. And guess what? Insurance companies don't like to cover ongoing therapies, even if those therapies can be life changing. They don't care. They just want to get paid. I'm envious of other 1st world countries with great healthcare at affordable prices.

LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Accelerated Stroke Recovery!
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul (second edition) by Forrest J. Beverly Sr.

Post by LV2R » 31 Jan 2019, 20:18

I agree with some of the other comments that Big Pharma is definitely about money,but I also think there are always two sides to everything. On the one hand, the government and all the regulations about drugs are trying to provide safe, controlled, and regulated substances to the public, but on the other hand, I do not see why the public cannot know about alternative natural ways to help with cancers and diseases and have it available. I like that Sylvie shared her father's important research about plant extracts found to work to block the growth and get rid of cancer stem cells responsible for pancreatic and ovarian cancers while leaving the healthy cells alone. She explained it well comparing it to get rid of the root of the problem. As long as the public has access to information and to acquiring the alternative methods, it would be acceptable.

Paxman21
Currently Reading: Born to Run
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Paxman21 » 31 Jan 2019, 22:50

The idea behind Big Pharma is definitely something to think about. I think there is a culture in the U.S. in which most people don't even think twice about taking prescription drugs and just see it as normal. As this topic is brought out more into public light as well as having more information on alternative and preventative medicine, we could finally see Big Pharma loose their iron grip on the people.

KSaxer
Currently Reading: 24 Hours That Changed The World
Bookshelf Size: 615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksaxer.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KSaxer » 01 Feb 2019, 14:31

I have to admit that I agreed with the Big Pharma concept. I do feel there is a political power coming from the government in collusion with the pharmacy companies to keep the money in the higher atmosphere instead of truly helping heal the sick.

Kratarzu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kratarzu.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Kratarzu » 02 Feb 2019, 08:25

The whole world is about money, pharmaceuticals included

Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Olaoluwa_oso » 02 Feb 2019, 16:32

This is an interesting question. So many medications being produced to manage diseases when am sure the cure can be gotten with a little more effort. But the 'Big Pharma' will not do that because they make more profit when people keep managing their sicknesses. It is a business they are running.

Angelina_Bazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelina-bazar.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Angelina_Bazar » 02 Feb 2019, 20:43

I think thag there may be some truth to this theory. Big pharma could definitely be working with insurance companies to make some extra profit.

dreamthewilderness
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by dreamthewilderness » 02 Feb 2019, 22:50

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy at this point, since it's so dang obvious, but there are those that would call us conspiracy theorists just for suggesting it. At the end of the day, it's the pharmaceutical INDUSTRY made up of privately owned companies whose highest end-goal is profit. Successful medicine is bad for that kind of business.

ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Knowing He's There: by Charles Sacchetti

Post by ZenaLei7 » 04 Feb 2019, 11:26

I think that Big Pharma is real since they are made up of a bunch of companies that are privately own that want to make as much money as possible. I do think it’s sad that they would rather focus on making money rather than helping people.

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: More Heavens Than One
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Bluebird03 » 04 Feb 2019, 13:18

I think that Big Pharma probably does resort to the tactics that some other Big businesses do (this doesn't excuse it!). They still have made great strides in treatments and prolonging life, as well as in preserving the quality of life (I'm also referencing other drugs outside of cancer treatment). And with their seemingly unlimited funds for research, they will hopefully continue to do so.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”