Are we meeting a turning point? On which decision have you come up after reading the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Re: Are we meeting a turning point? On which decision have you come up after reading the book?

Post by Mai Tran »

Cancer is definitely curable. I think conventional medicine would be the convenient option, while integrative medicine would require some effort and research on the patients' part as it's not mainstream.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

From what the writer said, I believe that integrated therapies are best. I do agree that using anything that works is good, yet did these extracts really *cure* cancer? The people she talked of had to take the supplements for the rest of their lives and got very sick without them. To me, that is obviously not a cure. So, on the other hand, let's not get taken in with snake oil.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I would definitely lean to the holistic side of the spectrum. The planet has everything necessary to keep us healthy. We just need to be able to access it and find the knowledge needed to use it correctly.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

TuyetMai wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:32 Cancer is definitely curable. I think conventional medicine would be the convenient option, while integrative medicine would require some effort and research on the patients' part as it's not mainstream.
It's true that conventional is more convenient, but I think that, in this case, the effort involved in researching would be the best option. As she brings up in the book, always make sure that you are asking questions. Don't just take the doctor's word for it. Knowledge is power!
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 23:15
Itskai88 wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 13:59 this book has just enlightened me a lot more and it has given me an avenue to be more open minded. although this book was written based on her opinion, there are still a lot of books out there like this with extensive research on alternative medicine and i personally think there is no harm in trying them out.
Miss. Silvie and the review team have the rare gift of inspiring and helping people. In fact, I owe them both a personal debt of gratitude for the helpful guidance I have received from their writings. They very politely and gently convinced me: Why alternative medicine instead of traditional?
it is always easier to get ones point across politely, even those who are not willing to listen will be interested. i personally feel like focusing on causes and prevention is a much more sustainable way to stay and remain healthy which alternative medicine provides.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html

Post by Itskai88 »

TuyetMai wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:32 Cancer is definitely curable. I think conventional medicine would be the convenient option, while integrative medicine would require some effort and research on the patients' part as it's not mainstream.
i understand the appeal of convenience but don't you think it will be more fulfilling if the patient is directly involved and aware, the power of control could also be uplifting.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I think it's curable. I favor the non-toxic and natural cure.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

raqstar1 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 16:49
It's true that conventional is more convenient, but I think that, in this case, the effort involved in researching would be the best option. As she brings up in the book, always make sure that you are asking questions. Don't just take the doctor's word for it. Knowledge is power!
I absolutely agree with what you said about not just taking the doctor's word for it. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability or the knowledge to distinguish credible sources from unreliable ones. There are a lot of resources out there, and not everything that got published is correct. That's why I think conventional medicine is still better in these cases. There are alternatives methods out there that work, but the patients need to know what they are doing.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html

Post by Alicia09 »

I think that Sylvie outlined some major points surrounding cancer including various forms of treatments, as well as the main causes. After reading about how effective the natural treatments were, and the main things that can lead to cancer, I do believe that cancer is curable. Working through emotionally traumatic events in a positive way can help avoid the development of cancer. Avoiding toxic foods and substances from entering the body can also help prevent cancer. I have experienced the effects of traumatic events and toxic pharmaceutical drugs, so I am strongly in favor of natural remedies. If I had cancer, I would try the natural remedies first.
:character-ariel:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Yes it is curable if we adopt integrative medicine. Maybe with natural supplements.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Different methods can be used. I think modern or natural remedies can produce results. I feel like more emphasis needs to be put on natural methods than there is, though. I feel like these methods are pushed into the background and covered up in order to promote new medicines.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

DC Brown wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 12:14 From what the writer said, I believe that integrated therapies are best. I do agree that using anything that works is good, yet did these extracts really *cure* cancer? The people she talked of had to take the supplements for the rest of their lives and got very sick without them. To me, that is obviously not a cure. So, on the other hand, let's not get taken in with snake oil.
I agree with this! Though I think some people would say that taking the supplements for the rest of their lives is better than chemo where it "kills you before cancer does". I believe that this is not a cure, rather an alternative for people to choose from. That is why I find the title a bit taking it too far.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I favour complementary and alternative(CAD) medicine for lots of reasons.I also believe cancer is curable.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 11:22
Bavithra M wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:46 In my opinion there is an solution for all problems and all diseases. Modern medicines has created cancer to be a big taboo and non curable just to make money. Cancer has become a taboo only in the past 10 years before that no one had cancer or very less people only had cancer. According to me cancer is curable but the modern medicinal mafia has purposely not revealed the medicines to cure cancer just to make money.
Greed is a scary thing. I wouldn't put it passed money hungry CEO's to withold life saving methods just for profit. They can make more money by slowly introducing the right methods than by just giving the solution and having everyone copy them, lowering the price.
Yup, you're right. I salute the author to pursue a not for profit foundation in this era of selfishness.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Yeah, I also ever thought that conventional medicine is convenient. As it was a one step away solution. But I have got a new advancement in my research on treatments of cancer. One of my cousins told me that her neighbor passed through the therapies like radiation and surgery but what happened to her was that cancer came back to her again. Then I realized that if there is not any permanent solution then better adopt nonpainful option i.e alternative medicine. 🙁
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”