What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Chikari
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Chikari » 08 Feb 2019, 03:52

I was a little put off by the title as well. It made me wonder if the author was just going to be writing a book clapping themselves on the back for something that like you said isn't a "done deal".
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**

greenmichellep
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by greenmichellep » 08 Feb 2019, 09:36

I would say I too found it a hopeful statement if potentially over reaching

AlphasFemale
Currently Reading: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by AlphasFemale » 09 Feb 2019, 00:11

The title makes me want to read the book even more. I have even put it on my list to request from my local library. Cancer has largely impacted my life and those of a few friends and family members. A title like this gives me hope, maybe not hope for a final cure but some comrades in the war. Hope that there are others out there that understand and are supportive of what was happening and maybe hope of a way to at least ease the fear and the pain.

anthro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anthro » 11 Feb 2019, 20:20

In my personal opinion, the strong definitive of "Winning the War on Cancer" makes it more appealing. In general, I am uninterested in reading the type of book that typically falls under this title, but the stong stance immediately piques my interest. I have lost family members to cancer, and I have some family members who have defeated cancer, and to me, it brings more of a positive note when approaching the subject optimistically, instead if "Maybe Winning" or "Trying to Win" you are "Winning".

timd
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 236
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by timd » 12 Feb 2019, 12:45

I think that this is an overly optimistic title that may not relate to the efficacy of the natural or alternative cure described in the book. I have seen survivors of cancer both from the results of conventional cures as well, like a few from alternative approaches. Unfortunately, there are no records of research to prove many alternative claims. Therefore I do feel that this title is a bit misleading and overly optimistic.

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Will of The Hill
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Zora C Penter » 12 Feb 2019, 14:31

anthro wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 20:20
In my personal opinion, the strong definitive of "Winning the War on Cancer" makes it more appealing. In general, I am uninterested in reading the type of book that typically falls under this title, but the stong stance immediately piques my interest. I have lost family members to cancer, and I have some family members who have defeated cancer, and to me, it brings more of a positive note when approaching the subject optimistically, instead if "Maybe Winning" or "Trying to Win" you are "Winning".
I agree wholeheartedly! I do understand that this title may seem overly optimistic, but it is trying to take a firm stance and provide a bit of hope. That is not much different than what the research of the author's father was trying to do. I was very happy while reading the book to learn that the mission was not to replace conventional medicine but to support it and help alleviate some side effects of chemo.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by DogoMulla » 12 Feb 2019, 19:04

The title is quite catchy. If, anything, this issue of cancer is war-like. Consequently, by all means necessary, we have to win this war!

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Will of The Hill
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Zora C Penter » 12 Feb 2019, 23:42

DogoMulla wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 19:04
The title is quite catchy. If, anything, this issue of cancer is war-like. Consequently, by all means necessary, we have to win this war!
It is even one of the things that the US has actually declared war on. Just like the "War on Drugs." Both are long running and entrenched though, sadly.

Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra » 13 Feb 2019, 07:11

I think the more appropriate title is, win against cancer or fight cancer! of the majority of cancer sufferers, only a small percentage can recover or survive cancer, with this book can give hope to cancer sufferers to be able to recover.

nanglada
Currently Reading: The House of the Spirits
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by nanglada » 13 Feb 2019, 19:03

stacie k wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 09:30
I appreciate that the title imparts a sense of hope to the reader. We all need hope, whether the diagnosis comes to us personally or to someone we care about. The title makes me want to hear what the author has to say.
I agree with this opinion. Even though fighting cancer isn't easy and, sadly, most people don't make it, people need hope and the title gives them that.

Zhariah
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Zhariah » 13 Feb 2019, 20:33

The title definitely put me off reading the book. To me, winning is more of a game-related reference, and cancer is about the furthest from a game you can get. It also seems to imply that anyone can 'win' and beat cancer by following this book, which just isn't true for everyone.

yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: A Dog's Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever » 13 Feb 2019, 22:23

I like the title because it offers hope. I lost my dad to non hodgkin's lymphoma 18 years ago. He was misdiagnosed as having arthritis and when they found it, it was too late. I think this book will be helpful to others and give them the hope they need.

Jagiine
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Jagiine » 15 Feb 2019, 12:31

I fully agree with your sentiments. Cancer is a complex phenomena with many subcategories that differ on just as many levels as they hold similarity in. I know the message is meant to grab attention, and it may or may not be reflective off the author's depth of belief, but it's too strong for my taste.

labibliofile
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by labibliofile » 16 Feb 2019, 11:27

briellejee wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 20:58
I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
I do agree with you to a certain extent. When I first saw the title, my immediate reaction was that the title seems like an assumption or maybe it would give a sure way to win the battle against cancer, which of course it's not and can never be! But again at the same time, it could help to remain optimistic especially during such a time where everything around you is filled with negativity!
"Growth is the essence of life."

DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA » 16 Feb 2019, 15:02

Cancer is such a broad term, so I don't think the title would give anybody false hope. I do, though, find it to be intriguing and it inspired me to look into the book.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”