What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde » 03 Feb 2019, 09:08

I share much the same view as the original poster. The title of the book sounds like it's offering a hard and fast cure to the disease. I think the title needs to be more reflective of the fact that it is promoting alternative methods.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

MimiBookHolic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimibookholic.html

Post by MimiBookHolic » 03 Feb 2019, 14:04

There seems to be a variety of intense feelings and sensations emanating from the title. I think it is mostly invigorated by an epic touch as it suggests a deadly and crucial battle, but personally I think it would have been better if the book was entitled "The triumph over Cancer".

jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by jesscat304 » 03 Feb 2019, 22:47

This title suggests that although one is reading about the intense struggles involved with cancer that there really is hope and some survive. It suggests the reader can be comforted in the fact that if they get attached to the characters hopefully the end is actually positive, which for someone who has lost numerous people to cancer provides comfort and makes me less hesitant to read the book because it suggests I won’t have to relive these losses.

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: More Heavens Than One
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Bluebird03 » 04 Feb 2019, 10:41

I do like the positive note put forth in the title Winning the War on Cancer because it represents how far we have come in the past few years and hope for the future. As a nurse and seeing so many cancer patients (and so many types of cancers in various stages of progression), I did feel like "winning" was a stretch- we aren't there yet. Hopefully soon!

ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Knowing He's There: by Charles Sacchetti

Post by ZenaLei7 » 04 Feb 2019, 11:21

I think it’s a great title for the book because even if cancer seems bleak, I think it’s important to always look at the bright side of things. I also think that title is inspiring for those who have cancer.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ak1412 » 04 Feb 2019, 16:47

briellejee wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 20:58
I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
though I understand your thoughts, I feel that the hope associated with winning allows those those who currently have cancer to feel hope themselves. However, as someone who has never had cancer it feels unfitting for me to make a wide comment on the subject.

Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Laura3 » 04 Feb 2019, 17:59

I see what you're saying, but the title is very succinct. Readers would have a rough idea of what would be in the book. The title may be misleading to those who desperately want to believe that victory can be certain.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 04 Feb 2019, 20:04

My mom and aunt both passed away from cancer (pancreatic and stomach respectively) within three weeks of one another, just over five years ago. Three months after their passing, my father was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. He is currently working toward remission after his first reoccurrence with metastasized liver cancer. With that being said, the title of this book does not offend me in any way. If anything, it gives me hope. It gives me hope for my dad. It gives me hope for myself. It gives me hope for the rest of my family. It gives me hope for everyone out there fighting cancer that I have never before met. I believe the title uses the word winning to mean we as a human population are working toward winning the war together for a future free of deadly cancers. We may not directly benefit from it but someone out there will.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Susmita Biswas » 05 Feb 2019, 01:56

The title is absolutely correct. Surviving from cancer is truly surviving from a war. If someone gets the cure from cancer that means it's a victory. So the word winning is perfect.

irenebulky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by irenebulky » 06 Feb 2019, 04:17

To me, even if it's about false hope, one thing I know and am very excited about is that some has been able to come up with something against cancer. Meaning that there is hope in future and chances of being able to eliminate it completely from our midst. Am supper excited. :P

petreaurel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by petreaurel » 06 Feb 2019, 06:14

I've not encountered yet people dealing with such, a terrible disease, but I know how devastating it can be, especially when you have no idea how to deal with it. From my personal point of view, the title is a good one because it may sparkle a small light in the hearts of the ones dealing with it.

Timjim
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Timjim » 06 Feb 2019, 17:13

A single ray of hope can go a long way in lifting one's spirit. I think the title is very appropriate.

CatlynnHighlights
2019 Reading Goal: 365
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by CatlynnHighlights » 06 Feb 2019, 22:02

I agree that the title turned me off. I've had a lot of family members affected by cancer (whether it be directly or indirectly) and saying that we're "winning the war" seemed as if we're erasing the suffering of those with cancer. I did read further to see if I should change my opinion, however.

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

Post by briellejee » 06 Feb 2019, 23:10

CatlynnHighlights wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 22:02
I agree that the title turned me off. I've had a lot of family members affected by cancer (whether it be directly or indirectly) and saying that we're "winning the war" seemed as if we're erasing the suffering of those with cancer. I did read further to see if I should change my opinion, however.
Thanks for recognizing my perspective. :tiphat: Did the book change your opinion then?
Comment on my reviews and I'll comment on yours too! :wink:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost"

aolayide
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by aolayide » 07 Feb 2019, 12:22

I think the title is appropriate for the book because it is genuine and positive. Lots of people have lost hope, thus, they have stopped fighting but this title is encouraging anyone who is still battling with cancer to keep fighting. There are so many things to fight for in life.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”