What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by briellejee » 12 Jan 2019, 06:32

ea_anthony wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 20:09
My first thought was initially skepticism, however it occurred to me that those in the heat of the battle will try almost any remedy for survival. Since the author is a MD, it might be a risk worth taking.
Yes. same initial thoughts too, but people here have pointed out some things and I guess it is true that it gives out an opportunity of a remedy. :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Oblivion Threshold
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Formatting Your Fantastic Book by Mary Korte

Post by LV2R » 12 Jan 2019, 07:13

I think that the title made me want to know how and if we were actually winning the war on cancer. There has been a lot of research and money put on trying to find ways to treat cancer. This book seems to offer an alternative route to prevent or stop cancer from the use of natural bark extract.

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Code Name: Dodger
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Post by Rayasaurus » 12 Jan 2019, 09:04

I think that while the title may bring back memories of those we've lost to cancer, it also brings hope that we will move forward and prevent more deaths than we were able to before.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

lesler
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler » 12 Jan 2019, 12:54

I like the title, but I thought this would be another self-help book, with tips on how to fight cancer. It was a little misleading.

harleyrhoads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by harleyrhoads » 12 Jan 2019, 17:55

I believe in the Power of suggestion, in the power words have in life.
If you believe in positive affirmations and the ability to shape life by the words and thoughts each person expresses and repeats on a daily basis. Either by outward expression or self-talk, then my opinion about this title will make sense.
I agree that Cancer is by far a type of war that is fought on a genetic level. That it is possible to measure the progress in terms of winning or losing. However, I feel that it is of a much broader spectrum than this title would imply. I feel that the title is too open and not personalized enough for the importance of this horrible consuming disease. Which form of Cancer and what exactly are we winning? If it is a War we are winning then are you indicating we have won the Battles? Those battles would be Bone cancer? Pancreatic cancer? etc.... however if the opinion stands that we are winning the War is there a part one to this book the battles won which have collectively culminated to be able to boast that now we are winning the war? In order to win the War on Cancer wouldn't it be from the very beginnings the ability to turn off the genetic marker that would make it possible for this disease to attack an individual. etc...
I would go farther by saying I would use a more positive phrase , title to be given to the cause. In my opinion by using a negative phrase it only strengthens the disease and the hold it has on people whom face this problem. Winning isn't winning if war is involved. Winning is winning when hope has become the norm.

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 12 Jan 2019, 21:59

Sen_Suzumiya wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 14:07
Now that you mention it, maybe the author uses some bold words in the title. I think I wouldn't choose those words to entitle my book but if you write for a subject like that I guess you need a very optimistic title. I hope you overcome your loss and experience only happiness from here on.
She does! But I guess you're right that it's all for positivity. Thanks for the well-wishes! :tiphat:

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 12 Jan 2019, 22:03

LV2R wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 07:13
I think that the title made me want to know how and if we were actually winning the war on cancer.
Now that I think about it, it actually does make you want to know if we won. But having read the book, it is still now a war won, so I was disappointed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :tiphat:

jessinikkip
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip » 12 Jan 2019, 22:31

I usually steer clear of books with titles like this because they seem rather misleading. To title a book "Winning" anything makes it seem like it is possible to win if you follow the steps provided. For example, if I wrote a book called "Winning Chess in a Dozen Moves", you would expect the book to guarantee a win every time. However, this book doesn't guarantee a win every time, only offers alternative options that may or may not help.

Heather07
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Heather07 » 12 Jan 2019, 22:35

I too have lost loved ones to cancer, but I also have watched loved ones that is " winning the war" on cancer. I have an aunt that is battling stage 4 bone cancer with a natural approach and is doing far better than my loved ones that lost their fight with chemo and radiation treatment. So for me, the title does give hope for the war on cancer.

Misba_12

Post by Misba_12 » 13 Jan 2019, 02:16

Of course ,the title gives a kind of hope to the cancer patients to deal with it. But in reality fighting for cancer can be done only by people who can actually afford the treatment. I personally think that a poor man having cancer can't fight for it due to the financial crisis. But the title gives a hope I agree. But it would be more practical if the title was something else.

Sabangan

Post by Sabangan » 13 Jan 2019, 02:26

For me the title has a positive impact to those people whose having a cancer because as the word winning in the title it made them a hope that there is still a chance for their life

karla castaneda

Post by karla castaneda » 13 Jan 2019, 05:49

Actually, as a medical person working in the hospital, the title really catches my attention esp. the word "winning". you see, based on what I have learned,as of this moment the illness of cancer on its any form doesn't have a cure yet. Therefore, if I am a cancer patient and if I where to read the title it will really be catchy and I will be more excited to read the book if indeed this is really about winning over cancer.That would be something great.you see, the title is positive enough to give hope, to give happiness to those who has it. Well, I just love the title.

Idunnuaye

Post by Idunnuaye » 13 Jan 2019, 06:02

The title cherish hope,I hereby hope this title will put an end to cause of cancer, let hear the author out first.

Bienn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bienn.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by Bienn » 13 Jan 2019, 08:59

The title emphasizes information on cancer. It already gives hope upon glancing the title. I see that it is a must read.
Remember :hand: to take a bath :liar: first before reading anything! :no-spoil: :? :lol:

Amy+++
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 700
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ » 13 Jan 2019, 09:31

I saw the title and thought of hope. Like maybe one day we will win against cancer.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”