What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Andie-j
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andie-j.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Andie-j » 09 Jan 2019, 03:08

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm yet to here of anyone who has "won" against cancer. The title is a turnoff for me since it is giving false hope. I love optimism, but I love the truth even more.
It is what it is :tiphat:

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 09 Jan 2019, 06:55

Jamie_Pell wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 00:29
Personally, I think the title is misleading. First of all, it suggests a purely scientific stance which is not the case since Beljanski's own personal tale is woven throughout. Secondly, she has not found a natural cure. While there is evidence to suggest the extract could combat cancer and other diseases, there has been a failure to hold consistent clinical trials and replication studies validating the claims she made. The title, for me, does not fit the book I read.
I thought so too! People fighting this battle would hold on to anything that could help them, thus my saying that it could lead to false hope. Others may say that it is positive, yes it is, but then if they read the book, they will see how I come up with the question of false hope. Thanks for sharing this insight! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 09 Jan 2019, 07:08

Andie-j wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 03:08
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm yet to here of anyone who has "won" against cancer. The title is a turnoff for me since it is giving false hope. I love optimism, but I love the truth even more.
Same here. Optimism could get you somewhere but in this disease, acceptance is much more needed and false hope is truly devastating. Thanks for sharing this insight! :tiphat:

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sweet Psamy » 09 Jan 2019, 07:17

I think the author was just trying to be positive and instill faith in the reader.

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 09 Jan 2019, 09:21

raqstar1 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 19:15
I think that it's a good eye catcher. It's going to grab the attention of people who have been affected by cancer or who are interested in learning more about treatments. I have not personally lost anyone to the disease so am not as emotionally affected by the title. But I think it is more in line to give hope than infer that the fight is over.
A lot of people have been saying that it is indeed hopeful! Thanks for sharing your insight! :tiphat:

BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ » 09 Jan 2019, 16:24

I think that the title was simply made to draw people in, which it definitely did. It was also probably meant to bring hope to people who would be looking to read this sort of novel, anyone who has lost someone to cancer, is losing someone to cancer, or who have been diagnosed themselves.

lhen054
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lhen054 » 09 Jan 2019, 18:04

The war as used in the title for me comprise of many thoughts a cancer person could have. Having been close to someone with cancer, it wasn't an easy acceptance and specially not an easy process to get through. She would be happy in a minute fighting her condition pretending she doesn't have. While some days, she would be crying and be feeling insecure and frustrated. Winning the war for me is more like winning the situation. If I am to pick a book and I am the one with the condition, of course I will be picking something that is positive and sure and winning is the word I would look for.

yisellesuarez
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by yisellesuarez » 09 Jan 2019, 18:37

I think that "Winning" is just a state of mind. Also, it is the positive attitude and faith towards the fact that you or a loved eventually will die either you receive treatment or not.

vito_prus
Currently Reading: Benjamin Street
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by vito_prus » 09 Jan 2019, 22:08

Great post and good comments, but let me say my "IF" and add something to the topic. That is a very strong statement, that can have pros and cons. For me personally, it is a very motivating statement that can raise attention and may unite people to fight the disease.

lalina

Post by lalina » 09 Jan 2019, 22:38

For my opinion, that is a weird title and at the same time brings a true meaning. its weird because we know that most of the cancer survivors they only have a small chance to live. but on the other side, most of them they struggle to live because they get support and accept their disability. So for me, maybe other people have their own opinion on how to translate the real meaning of the title

jamiegross27

Post by jamiegross27 » 10 Jan 2019, 00:04

I don't really have a problem with the title, and I've lost loved ones to cancer as well. I think it's best to simply look at intent. The author obviously wanted to grab potential readers attention in a positive way. Honestly, I have not read the book, but it could also be that the author actually has won the war on cancer, and wants to share her personal triumph.

Beatrice94

Post by Beatrice94 » 10 Jan 2019, 05:44

My brother was only twelve when he was diagnosed with cancer, on the leg ..he was operated on three times but it kept coming back and growing as a little girl I was with him everyday in the hospital until it became worse and the doctor said they cut his leg but since we have poor systems here in Africa cutting his leg was also an issue because he had no blood he was almost gone until we took him to a private hospital and his leg was cut. Chemotherapy was another story . .and seeing the tittle it brings so much hope knowing that we can actually fight cancer....

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 10 Jan 2019, 08:17

Beatrice94 wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 05:44
My brother was only twelve when he was diagnosed with cancer, on the leg ..he was operated on three times but it kept coming back and growing as a little girl I was with him everyday in the hospital until it became worse and the doctor said they cut his leg but since we have poor systems here in Africa cutting his leg was also an issue because he had no blood he was almost gone until we took him to a private hospital and his leg was cut. Chemotherapy was another story . .and seeing the tittle it brings so much hope knowing that we can actually fight cancer....
I'm so sorry about your brother. A child shouldn't go through with it. it was such a horrible experience. :( I am glad that the title brings hope to you!

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 10 Jan 2019, 08:18

BriennaiJ wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 16:24
I think that the title was simply made to draw people in, which it definitely did. It was also probably meant to bring hope to people who would be looking to read this sort of novel, anyone who has lost someone to cancer, is losing someone to cancer, or who have been diagnosed themselves.
yes, a lot of people here have expressed that they felt hopeful and was drawn in by it! :tiphat:

briellejee

Post by briellejee » 10 Jan 2019, 08:20

jamiegross27 wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 00:04
I don't really have a problem with the title, and I've lost loved ones to cancer as well. I think it's best to simply look at intent. The author obviously wanted to grab potential readers attention in a positive way. Honestly, I have not read the book, but it could also be that the author actually has won the war on cancer, and wants to share her personal triumph.
As for the book, the author didn't win the war but cite cases of her father's research work in which few patients claim that they did feel a lot better with the alternative. :) But her intent was strong enough too to some of the readers here. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”