What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Post Reply
User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 02:00

YaileneV2 wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 21:23
From my point of view, I think the title could be worded a little better to catch readers attention. However, I feel that the author is trying to show the positive aspect and bring that positivity into our lives when this hard situation occurs.

It's inclined towards the cliche types of titles, but it is a positive one that helps you take an insight into what the book might be about.
Yes, I believe the main goal was positivity for the ones who are losing hope about this situation. Although the book was about just an alternative and not yet garnered a wide-scale approval and results, I guess it is better than nothing. Thanks for the insight! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
sanita157
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 01:57
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sanita157 » 08 Jan 2019, 02:00

I loved to see how the author believes we can win the war against the disease.
The titlle is great combination with whats inside the book.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 02:14

cpru68 wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 03:37
I looked at it as two ways of winning...combating the disease and letting the powers that be know that alternative medicine is just as important as traditional treatments that have shown a poor track record. The author is clear at the beginning about the “war” that has happened for those with sound supplements from natural substances and the lack of FDA excitement. The war is not only the one facing the diagnosis but the people who desire to cure the problem with sincerity versus greed. The war, whether we like it or not, is once again political. And the ones suffering are in the middle of the fight just trying to survive.
I do agree that traditional and alternative treatments should go hand in hand as they are both important in curing cancer. I do see your point about the war being political. It is a sad truth, but it is what it is. Thanks for sharing! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
CLH0307
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 03:03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CLH0307 » 08 Jan 2019, 03:15

The title is a great attention grabber, but winning could be a harsh word for those who had lost the battle to cancer.

User avatar
Prasanna
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 05:31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prasanna.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Prasanna » 08 Jan 2019, 03:44

I completely agree with your thought about the title. This title really looks not so good to those who has lost their near and dear ones, and yes you rightly said it gives false hope to one who are battling. I suggest you one title, " a day in a cancer ward", if it suits you.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 05:09

Prasanna wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 03:44
I completely agree with your thought about the title. This title really looks not so good to those who has lost their near and dear ones, and yes you rightly said it gives false hope to one who are battling. I suggest you one title, " a day in a cancer ward", if it suits you.
Thank you for understanding and respecting my views! :) I do like your title! It emits a mysterious aura and it is intriguing! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
jefftone
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Dec 2018, 08:17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jefftone.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by jefftone » 08 Jan 2019, 07:35

cancer is one the most killer disease in the world.cancer can be categorized as malignant(which has spread to many parts of the body system) and benign (which affect one part of the body forming a tumor).According to this topic the writer focuses on the succesful fight against the same.The topic makes one to be curious about the cure and prevention for cancer.The topic dissaprove the fact that cancer has no cure as the writer displays hope and positive attitude of winning the fight

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 09:43

jefftone wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 07:35
cancer is one the most killer disease in the world.cancer can be categorized as malignant(which has spread to many parts of the body system) and benign (which affect one part of the body forming a tumor).According to this topic the writer focuses on the succesful fight against the same.The topic makes one to be curious about the cure and prevention for cancer.The topic dissaprove the fact that cancer has no cure as the writer displays hope and positive attitude of winning the fight
Thanks for sharing this insight! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
Lillianhausgaard
Posts: 17
Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 00:41
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Lillianhausgaard » 08 Jan 2019, 10:20

I guess when I first read the title " Winning the War on Cancer" I thought more of the research struggles related to fighting cancer. After reading some other reviews of the title I can see how it could be related to the personal struggles with someone who may have cancer or may have had a loved one with cancer. But I had to read other reviews to get that impression.
From my first read of the title I would not be interested in reading it. I have not actually read the book or any part of it so I do not know what the book itself is about but from the title I am not interested. Sorry.

User avatar
Alicia09
Posts: 232
Joined: 10 Jul 2018, 12:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Alicia09 » 08 Jan 2019, 19:00

The title seemed very cheesy to me, because I hear this phrase constantly from other people when they are talking about cancer. Yet when I began reading this book, I was immediately hooked. It was refreshing to read about natural cures for cancer through the voice of a lawyer, because I had never thought about how this would be approached from a legal perspective. I don't think the title fits the book, because this book was focused more on the legal and political battles that had to be won to allow natural extracts to be sold to the general public. Yet I do love the story, so the title did not keep me from having a good read.
:character-beavisbutthead:

raqstar1
Posts: 105
Joined: 11 Sep 2018, 11:07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by raqstar1 » 08 Jan 2019, 19:15

I think that it's a good eye catcher. It's going to grab the attention of people who have been affected by cancer or who are interested in learning more about treatments. I have not personally lost anyone to the disease so am not as emotionally affected by the title. But I think it is more in line to give hope than infer that the fight is over.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

User avatar
Trixy
Posts: 32
Joined: 24 May 2017, 01:35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Trixy » 08 Jan 2019, 19:22

This title says to me something unreal, is like we want to beat on Cancer but we still haven't, so is kind of a weird way of selling the idea that we can actually care about healing people even if we can't. And at the same time we are seeking ways of helping people and making sure we understand the problem with this desease!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

User avatar
tstanley
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 19:38
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tstanley » 08 Jan 2019, 19:48

The title says to me that the book will be discussing what we are doing to obtain a cure for cancer and the obstacles that we face. I think it is a good title.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 20:11

Alicia09 wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 19:00
The title seemed very cheesy to me, because I hear this phrase constantly from other people when they are talking about cancer. Yet when I began reading this book, I was immediately hooked. It was refreshing to read about natural cures for cancer through the voice of a lawyer, because I had never thought about how this would be approached from a legal perspective. I don't think the title fits the book, because this book was focused more on the legal and political battles that had to be won to allow natural extracts to be sold to the general public. Yet I do love the story, so the title did not keep me from having a good read.
I agree that it's not a bit suitable once you read the book. And yes it is indeed interesting to know there are other cures aside from chemotherapy. Thanks for this wonderful and honest insight! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
Jamie_Pell
Posts: 4
Joined: 05 Jan 2019, 12:41
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-pell.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Jamie_Pell » 09 Jan 2019, 00:29

Personally, I think the title is misleading. First of all, it suggests a purely scientific stance which is not the case since Beljanski's own personal tale is woven throughout. Secondly, she has not found a natural cure. While there is evidence to suggest the extract could combat cancer and other diseases, there has been a failure to hold consistent clinical trials and replication studies validating the claims she made. The title, for me, does not fit the book I read.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”