Cancer Survivors

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 153
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Thundering Herd
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Cancer Survivors

Post by Nerea » 05 Jan 2019, 04:19

I am curious as to how cancer survivors react to this book. Do you feel like you are learning good information for health maintenance? Do you feel slighted because you would have liked to have known this information earlier? Do you feel attacked for sticking with mainstream treatments?
I lost a brother in death, he suffered from lung cancer. Personally, I find the book helpful and enlightening in regards to health maintenance.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by briellejee » 06 Jan 2019, 04:20

Nerea wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 04:19
I am curious as to how cancer survivors react to this book. Do you feel like you are learning good information for health maintenance? Do you feel slighted because you would have liked to have known this information earlier? Do you feel attacked for sticking with mainstream treatments?
I lost a brother in death, he suffered from lung cancer. Personally, I find the book helpful and enlightening in regards to health maintenance.
I'm sorry for your loss :( I also lost my grandma to lung cancer. I also do find the book helpful in maintaining good health!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 06 Jan 2019, 04:22

Willy_wanker wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 08:10
Personally, i think if anyone beats cancer, it shows bravery and determination to live. But it would be nice to seek other alternatives preferably natural sources to suppress and reduce the chance of getting it back.
I also believe that these natural sources could help to avoid the chance of recurrence. Cancer is such an unpredictable disease even after chemo and all.

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 06 Jan 2019, 04:25

Louanne Piccolo wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:26
Immunotherapy is getting quite a lot of attention and has proven to work very well against some types of cancer.
The bottom line is that it's a gamble. I lost my father to lung cancer when I was 21 and he 48. It's just far too young to die and yes, it would have been wonderful to try everything possible at the time.
I'm sorry about your father :( I lost my grandma too to lung cancer. Regarding immunotherapy, I also read some papers that it is definitely a good alternative. It might not be all types of cancer, but still, it is a beacon of hope.

allyn2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyn2018.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by allyn2018 » 06 Jan 2019, 04:31

My grandmother died in Cancer and the cause is prolly she didn't went to hospital because she was afraid, and it was not treated well because of it. I am really open in that kind of topic, Cancer is hereditary so I will not be surprised if I would caught the disease in the future so I would like to know more about it.

briellejee
Currently Reading:

Post by briellejee » 06 Jan 2019, 07:02

allyn2018 wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 04:31
My grandmother died in Cancer and the cause is prolly she didn't went to hospital because she was afraid, and it was not treated well because of it. I am really open in that kind of topic, Cancer is hereditary so I will not be surprised if I would caught the disease in the future so I would like to know more about it.
Cancer is not per se hereditary. All of us are vulnerable to this disease. Having relatives and family died of it can clearly increase the chances, but you can prevent that by a change of lifestyle and maintaining to be healthy. I do hope you won't get the disease.

DC Brown
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by DC Brown » 06 Jan 2019, 21:49

Fuzaila wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:44
I had a family member and an uncle who lost their battle to cancer. Infact, one of them were so late in being diagnosed that there was little to be done in those last moments. Even then, he underwent chemotherapy and the result was him being so utterly fragile and weak. It broke my heart to see such a warm and energetic soul losing all hope. I wonder if the knowledge about these treatments would have done them any good.
I lost my best friend to cancer. It was only found a few months before she died. Too late to treat with anything conventional. In fact, she refused chemo. Wish I'd known then about these alternatives...at least we could've given it a shot as a last ditch effort.

DC Brown
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by DC Brown » 06 Jan 2019, 21:51

Nerea wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 04:19
I feel very sad we didn't know this four years ago when my mum-in-law was diagnosed. It would've been interesting to see if these treatments would've helped. She refused conventional ones.

becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson » 07 Jan 2019, 10:04

My aunt is a cancer "survivor" (in inverted commas because regardless it could still come back and kill her). She chose to go down the traditional route and has no regrets about that. She's forever talking about the nurses and doctors who treated her and how amazing they were, and the friends she met in the ward who she's stayed in contact with ten years later (some of whom did not make it!).

She doesn't really believe in home remedies and stuff like that but I think it gets to a stage where you're willing to try anything. I'm sure if she'd read this when she was sick, she would have tried some of it. At the end of the day, it's down to personal choice, but any method that helps you get better is a method that works.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Demas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demas » 08 Jan 2019, 03:04

A disease that i have ever been afraid of more than HIV is cancer. I once lived with a cancer patient, who was having cancer of the leg, all her legs were cut off but still yet the cancer keep up eating her and she finally died of cancer.
We need to be proactive instead of reactive, because once we are attacked by cancer, life becomes miserable. It is good to always eat garlic, carrots and avoid those meals that can easily cause us cancer.

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy » 09 Jan 2019, 08:02

I feel like I'm learning good information for health maintenance.

dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 » 09 Jan 2019, 16:08

Yeah, feels like medicine after death for me. I lost my adoptive dad to cancer last year and he could have made do with some information from this book. If only I had come across it earlier.

Sunnyroyish
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish » 10 Jan 2019, 11:50

I'm not a cancer survivor and I don't want to be one. However, I've seen many people die of cancer. It's always sad to lose someone.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 » 10 Jan 2019, 12:49

I think I would have liked to have known this information earlier. It would have been very enlightening.

Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Lemonade Prescription by Lou Tyner

Post by Mindi » 11 Jan 2019, 15:08

I have known a number of family members and friends who have struggled with cancer. This book is definitely one that should be recommended to any cancer patient, survivor, or family members of those who are fighting the battle. Any info is helpful during such a struggle.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”