Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
User avatar
kelsiemaxwell
Posts: 106
Joined: 15 Jul 2018, 19:01
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: The Fearless King
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 06 Jan 2019, 14:07

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she gets the best treatment possible, whether standard or alternative. I think alternative treatments should get more publicity so that patients know that there or other options.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

User avatar
Vlinstry
Posts: 52
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 18:43
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Vlinstry » 06 Jan 2019, 18:07

I have a friend whose Dad had lung cancer and who went to the doctor but refused the Chemo. He continued to see the doctor to monitor his condition but he also went to a shamen. He focused on himself and mindfulness and too natural remedies and painkillers. He took up meditation and yoga. Eventually he was completely cancer free. I don't know if it was the remedies or the belief that he was going to be ok but it worked.

I am a firm believer that the mind makes a lot of difference. If you give up, no matter what, you will die. If you fight it then you have a much better chance of survival. So yes, I do believe that there are other methods of treatment out there. I still believe the medical ones work and can help, but I do not think they are the only ones!

User avatar
Ehartl
Posts: 55
Joined: 24 Sep 2018, 16:57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Ehartl » 06 Jan 2019, 19:16

There is no "one size fits all" for medical treatment. Specific treatments may work well for some, but not for others. It all depends on the person. Alternative treatments like those discussed in this book may be the answer for some or may just supplement traditional treatments. One would have to try it to find out.

User avatar
pricklypurple
Posts: 336
Joined: 20 May 2018, 17:52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by pricklypurple » 06 Jan 2019, 21:44

While I don't know anyone who has chosen an alternative treatment method, I do have a mother who is a cancer survivor. However, she has to take medication for the rest of her life to simulate her thyroid. She has looked into alternative ways to go about this as she has always hated drugs. So far, she hasn't found a suitable method and I must say, it makes me uneasy knowing she is dabbling in things.

User avatar
DC Brown
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 08:42
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by DC Brown » 06 Jan 2019, 22:08

kandscreeley wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 18:29
briellejee wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 17:46
kandscreeley wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 11:23
I am using alternative treatments to treat myself. However, I do not have cancer. Traditional medicine has failed me. I tried everything that they offered with no relief. In desperation, I turned to natural medicines, and my life got 1000% better. However, I have seen lies about the herbs that I use. Flat out lies. Big pharma doesn't want you to know that there are natural cures out there that are MORE effective than theirs with LESS side effects. Why? Because they make BILLIONS of dollars. They can't patent natural medicine. They can't make money off of it. So, are there other treatments that will cure cancer? Yes! I'm positive of it.
Though I still have faith in traditional medicine because my family has been in the medical field since then, these words ring true. I have seen Medicine as a field for almost half my life, and I can't deny the fact that it is polluted with political and corporate greed. Sometimes I wonder why these people even call themselves doctor when all they care about is exploiting money.
I know I come across as harsh and cynical. Sadly, it's because I am. I've seen medicine fail so many people. I know there are those that trust doctors implicitly.
Yes, big pharma is in business to make money. Yes, doctors can be wrong. Yes, not all herbs cure. It is indeed a multifaceted problem, and I find I am conflicted. My sister has studied to be an herbalist healer, my other sister will only see traditional doctors. Others in my family believe solely in the healing abilities of chiropractic. We have lost aunts, uncles, and cousins to cancer. Though all of them were treated by some process, none of them had access to this Beljanski protocol. I wonder what would've happened if they had?!!

User avatar
Slothfisticated
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Jan 2019, 02:33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Slothfisticated » 07 Jan 2019, 02:35

This is very moving as I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma when I was 8. This spoke to me on an emotional level.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 07 Jan 2019, 02:42

Ehartl wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 19:16
There is no "one size fits all" for medical treatment. Specific treatments may work well for some, but not for others. It all depends on the person. Alternative treatments like those discussed in this book may be the answer for some or may just supplement traditional treatments. One would have to try it to find out.
I agree with this. Not everything has the same results for everybody else. One should not cling on only one solution as it could lead to false hope.
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

User avatar
Darlynn_Tebogo
Posts: 77
Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 14:08
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo » 07 Jan 2019, 03:29

My biggest concern with the use of alternative medicine in treating cancer is that most of the remedies are unproved and some may even be dangerous. My cousins mother had cancer and was advised by one of her friends to supplement her chemotherapy treatment with Tai chi. Tai chi is a form of exercise that incorporates gentle movements and deep breathing. She tells people that it helped her where the chemo couldn't. So, in my opinion I believe that alternative treatments can be more of a helping hand. People should only rely on alternative treatments fully only when they have been scientifically proven to work.

User avatar
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Aug 2015, 20:10
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 619
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: A Different Kind of Fire by Suanne Schafer

Post by katiesquilts » 07 Jan 2019, 19:11

When I was younger, the first thing people would do when diagnosed with cancer would be to schedule chemo sessions. Now we know just how bad chemo is, especially since it kills healthy and cancer cells indiscriminately, so people are more hesitant to jump right on the chemo bandwagon. I was dubious when I first heard of alternative medicine, but after reading some medical texts for myself, I think I would try them first before signing up for chemo.

I also think part of beating cancer lies in how positive your outlook is. If you start chemo right after the shock of being diagnosed, your negative emotions might make its toll on your body feel even worse. Although you might be physically exhausted afterward, you might also lack the WILL to move. Alternative medicine, in my opinion, would help someone come to terms with their cancer diagnosis and give them time to sort out their resolve while receiving treatments that, even if they just have a placebo effect, strengthen the body instead of weakening it.

User avatar
starshipsaga
Posts: 364
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 10:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Traitor to the Throne
Bookshelf Size: 2050
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Burn One Down by Jeffrey A. Cooper

Post by starshipsaga » 07 Jan 2019, 19:54

Modern medicine is wonderful and has saved many lives, but at the same time I don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach. I think we're fortunate to live in a time where there are many alternatives and patients are able to choose another form of treatment if they feel what they are getting isn't working. The mind, after all, is a huge part of the healing process. Someone who feels more in control of their treatment will also have a more optimistic outlook, which in turn can have a positive impact on their prognosis.

kdstrack
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 May 2017, 19:49
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack » 07 Jan 2019, 20:24

My father-in-law had cancer of the small intestine. He was able to get laetrile treatments and was getting better. When a shipment of laetrile was delayed, he relapsed and never recovered. I also have a sister-in-law who has a rare type of blood cancer. She was given a prognosis of 5 years and advised to undergo chemo treatments. She refused and began researching alternative treatments. That was 15 yrs. ago! Her first hematologist refused to work with her when he found out she had refused the chemo. Many of the things she is doing are not covered by insurance, so they spend quite a bit out-of-pocket for her healthcare. But she feels good, holds down a job and has flabbergasted the doctors! - So, yes, I have seen alternative medicine work without producing debilitating side effects.

Sirajuddin
Posts: 227
Joined: 02 Jun 2018, 05:35
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Sirajuddin » 08 Jan 2019, 08:07

The author has discussed the efficacy of natural remedies at great length in the book, and the examples she has given in treating cancer by natural remedies prove that they are effective.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 09:42

kdstrack wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:24
My father-in-law had cancer of the small intestine. He was able to get laetrile treatments and was getting better. When a shipment of laetrile was delayed, he relapsed and never recovered. I also have a sister-in-law who has a rare type of blood cancer. She was given a prognosis of 5 years and advised to undergo chemo treatments. She refused and began researching alternative treatments. That was 15 yrs. ago! Her first hematologist refused to work with her when he found out she had refused the chemo. Many of the things she is doing are not covered by insurance, so they spend quite a bit out-of-pocket for her healthcare. But she feels good, holds down a job and has flabbergasted the doctors! - So, yes, I have seen alternative medicine work without producing debilitating side effects.
Good for her! That is really great news! :D
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

kdstrack
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 May 2017, 19:49
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack » 08 Jan 2019, 09:53

briellejee wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 09:42
kdstrack wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:24
My father-in-law had cancer of the small intestine. He was able to get laetrile treatments and was getting better. When a shipment of laetrile was delayed, he relapsed and never recovered. I also have a sister-in-law who has a rare type of blood cancer. She was given a prognosis of 5 years and advised to undergo chemo treatments. She refused and began researching alternative treatments. That was 15 yrs. ago! Her first hematologist refused to work with her when he found out she had refused the chemo. Many of the things she is doing are not covered by insurance, so they spend quite a bit out-of-pocket for her healthcare. But she feels good, holds down a job and has flabbergasted the doctors! - So, yes, I have seen alternative medicine work without producing debilitating side effects.
Good for her! That is really great news! :D
Her recovery has been incredible. Had she opted for the chemo she would have been weak and run down. Instead, she has recovered her health and has been able to enjoy her family. I think there are a lot of alternate treatments out there to cure cancer. People need to be knowledgeable enough to research and find them and strong enough to stand up to the pressure you will receive from people who want you to follow traditional methods of treatment.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 08 Jan 2019, 10:08

kdstrack wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 09:53
briellejee wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 09:42
kdstrack wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 20:24
My father-in-law had cancer of the small intestine. He was able to get laetrile treatments and was getting better. When a shipment of laetrile was delayed, he relapsed and never recovered. I also have a sister-in-law who has a rare type of blood cancer. She was given a prognosis of 5 years and advised to undergo chemo treatments. She refused and began researching alternative treatments. That was 15 yrs. ago! Her first hematologist refused to work with her when he found out she had refused the chemo. Many of the things she is doing are not covered by insurance, so they spend quite a bit out-of-pocket for her healthcare. But she feels good, holds down a job and has flabbergasted the doctors! - So, yes, I have seen alternative medicine work without producing debilitating side effects.
Good for her! That is really great news! :D
Her recovery has been incredible. Had she opted for the chemo she would have been weak and run down. Instead, she has recovered her health and has been able to enjoy her family. I think there are a lot of alternate treatments out there to cure cancer. People need to be knowledgeable enough to research and find them and strong enough to stand up to the pressure you will receive from people who want you to follow traditional methods of treatment.
Where did she learn about the alternative treatment? and what stage was she at?
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”