Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by KRay93 »

First of all, I appreciate all your comments towards my mother. She definitely needs all the strength she can get to keep fighting.
melissah30 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 06:21
Nsark wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 23:24 I am so sorry for your loss, however there is a very effective way to rid cancer for good. It is a raw vegan diet, however it has to be 100% and therefore very restrictive but the reward is worth it. Patients can see most of the disease vanish in the first 2 weeks.
I don't completely agree with this sentiment (I'm not sure that a vegan diet would "cure" cancer, but it definitely reduces the odds of getting it in the first place), I was actually really amazed that the author did not mention anything about the carcinogens in meats and animal products or even mentioning a vegan diet.
Although I am a person who eats more meat than I should (I perfectly know about its possible negative effects on health), I have a more or less balanced diet and I understand those who opt for something more vegetarian. However, when it comes to a vegan diet, everything I have researched does not manage to convince me that it is a viable alternative. Humans are omnivores by nature and even some of our teeth are specifically designed to grind fibrous food like meat. I have even heard and read about people who feed their children with vegan diets that bring them severe future consequences.

In the end, there are so many factors that contribute to the development of these diseases that sometimes it is almost impossible to avoid them all. There are people who never smoke a cigarette in their lives and end up having lung cancer by inhaling the smoke of other people's cigarettes. You also have to consider the genetic background in the family and the fact that leading a stressful lifestyle can also contribute negatively to one's health.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

Exploration of alternative cancer treatments was quite lovely. They seem workable. A loved the idea of exploration of the relationships between cancer cells and the environmental toxins and destabilization of the DNA.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

I highly doubt the effectiveness of these alternatives treatments to cancer. Exercises could be a form of preventive medicine as it burns the toxins in the body.
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Misael wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 07:52 It does not hurt to try alternative medicine for cancer especially if these methods involve natural stuff. It not only saves money but also saves pain and losses from radiation or chemotherapy.
I agree.
Think outside of the books.
Bookreviewer19_ke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer19-ke.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Bookreviewer19_ke »

I must admit that alternative treatment to cancer was not something i ever thought about.however, the writer of the book has changed my perspective on that issue. Today If someone were to ask me if i think those alternatives were a viable option, i would encourage them to try it out.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

I have seen and heard about people who have opted for alternative medicine to cure other conditions but not cancer.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Rodrigo Niguez wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 12:59 I highly doubt the effectiveness of these alternatives treatments to cancer. Exercises could be a form of preventive medicine as it burns the toxins in the body.
Proven and tested: exercise can help you a lot to be healthy. It's not a useless activity. It actually is recommended by every doctor i know. Though, not strenuous.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

KRay93 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 11:21
In the end, there are so many factors that contribute to the development of these diseases that sometimes it is almost impossible to avoid them all. There are people who never smoke a cigarette in their lives and end up having lung cancer by inhaling the smoke of other people's cigarettes. You also have to consider the genetic background in the family and the fact that leading a stressful lifestyle can also contribute negatively to one's health.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to convert anybody (I'm not even vegan myself) or imply that a vegan diet would prevent cancer, just that it would remove one possible cause. But yeah, like you said, there's no way to guarantee you won't get cancer.

I just thought it was interesting that she didn't mention veganism because this book has a similar narrative that I've heard vegan use about how one industry is trying to keep the "truth" from getting out so that it wouldn't hurt their profits.

I don't know that much about the negative effects of a vegan diet, but I can't imagine it would be much worse than what I'm already putting into my body :lol2:
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I am very sorry about your mum. I think the book on "winning the war on cancer" would be very helpful based on the author's description of how it helped his father. I have a relation who died based on cancer illness, but how I wished I knew about this book earlier. So you can give it a try, watch the reaction for the first two to three weeks then decide for yourself. Good luck.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

melissah30 wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 04:42
KRay93 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 11:21
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to convert anybody (I'm not even vegan myself) or imply that a vegan diet would prevent cancer, just that it would remove one possible cause. But yeah, like you said, there's no way to guarantee you won't get cancer.

I just thought it was interesting that she didn't mention veganism because this book has a similar narrative that I've heard vegan use about how one industry is trying to keep the "truth" from getting out so that it wouldn't hurt their profits.

I don't know that much about the negative effects of a vegan diet, but I can't imagine it would be much worse than what I'm already putting into my body :lol2:
Diet can help but I don't know much about a vegan diet. The reason maybe the author didn't mention ushc is because there's not enough research done on it? As i've said before not all cancers are genetic. Some of them came from lifestyle. If i get technical about it, cancer cell is a cell that doesn't stop dividing. Hence, the tumor. The growth of something that is not a part of the body. When they divide nonstop, most of them will be flowing in the bloodstream and go to other parts (metastasize). Everyone of us is vulnerable. The lifestyle, especially stagnant (no exercise), and eating carcinogenic diets (processed food mostly) we may develop cancer. Also, cancer cells feed mostly on sugar, so cutting your sweets might actually help. But this info is not to scare you to make you stop eating what you like. Moderation is sometimes the key. But in cancer, I'm not so sure anymore because that disease can get anyone.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

First of all, I want to say I'm deeply sorry about your mother's diagnosis. I lost my father to cancer and I understand the pain of seeing them go from active and powerful to ill. In my opinion, why not try both? I think alternative treatments can work. I've used alternative treatments for several other health issues with major success, but I understand that you and your family might feel fearful of leaving the traditional treatments, especially if they seem promising.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

So sorry about your Mum. I believe alternative medicines, especially natural treatments, can be highly effective, even against cancer symptoms. A close family friend of ours who had cancer went onto a vegan diet and it did help prolong her life for a couple of years.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I can't really say that the alternative options are more effective than the traditional ones, but there's no harm in a patient trying them.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I'm not sure about alternative medicine since the methods are apparently not backed by science, but it could be worth trying it alongside orthodox treatment methods.
I'm so sorry about your mum and I hope she gets well.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

Chemotherapy and other mainstream treatments often make the patient sicker than the disease itself, sometimes with no benefit. Natural remedies can provide safe treatment in some cases, but I believe that further research should be done.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”