Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: More Heavens Than One
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Bluebird03 » 04 Feb 2019, 12:53

I am also very sorry to read about your Mom. I do remember a lady in my town that was diagnosed with an inoperable brain cancer. She immediately went to alternative treatments and made huge changes in her diet (no sugar, no flour, just whole foods etc.) and in her lifestyle. Specifically, she took more time for herself and let others help her when she needed it- something very hard for women to do. This was over a decade ago and the last I heard, her tumor was gone and she was doing well. I know this isn't the outcome for everyone- but it does seem to make a huge difference for many. Also, in working as a nurse, I heard physicians comment over and over again, how much a person's positive attitude seemed to work in their favor.
Again, prayers for you and your Mom.

petreaurel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by petreaurel » 06 Feb 2019, 06:21

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is dealing with such a terrible disease.
I have no experience in dealing with it, but I have some interest in knowing more about it. Personally, I am totally against chemo, because of it's high numbera of side effects, and I prefer to think that it's doing more harm than good. Other alternatives may be welcomed, as long as they do not threat your health with a high number of side effects, as described in this book.

Timjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Timjim » 06 Feb 2019, 17:11

Nature is original. As long as an alternative treatment relies on natural materials, it will most likely be effective.

Bluecobia
2018 Reading Goal: 26
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia » 11 Feb 2019, 23:29

I feel that conventional treatments should be tried first. That said, if they do not work I believe that there may be alternative treatments that work for some people.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

timd
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 236
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by timd » 12 Feb 2019, 12:51

Unfortunately, there are no records of research about the effectiveness of alternative methods in curing cancer. Conventional medicine does not receive the advertising hype that alternative methods do, but supporters of alternative methods claim that big pharmaceutical companies do not want to lose revenue on their products. I would like to see some serious research done on alternative methods.

Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra » 13 Feb 2019, 07:20

I am sorry for your mother, prescription drugs or alternative medicine as long as they really cure cancer should be tried, which is better between the two must be proven by real research and concrete evidence that has been cured with these drugs.

ObsessedBookNerd
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 826
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd » 13 Feb 2019, 09:00

I think that we are learning new things every day for alternatives for cancer. Doctors have found different foods and medicines can shrink cancerous tumors. There are also different types of cannabis that are affecting cancer. I think no matter what you should look at all options because even the littlest thing might help.

nvii_ft
Favorite Book: The Truth About Forever
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nvii-ft.html
Latest Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov

Post by nvii_ft » 13 Feb 2019, 10:34

The world is continually modernising and as time flies, more things are renovated or invented for the better. I believe alternative medicines are effective in curing diseases including cancer. However, it comes with higher compensation in comparison with traditional cures. The price will be more expensive and the medicine itself might have some side effects. I know it's very difficult for us when our loved ones are undergoing painful experiences and we just want their pain to be cured immediately and effectively but wanting fast solutions will not fixed the problem permanently. Sure, you can opt for alternative medicines, which are better, besides chemotherapy but keep in mind that everything takes time.

yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: A Dog's Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever » 13 Feb 2019, 22:31

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's battle with cancer. I will pray for her and your family. My dad died 18 years ago of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was misdiagnosed and when they found it, it was too late. I don't know if the alternative meds work but some patients prefer them because they have less side effects than chemotherapy.

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Cocoon by Veronica Red

Post by Eva Darrington » 14 Feb 2019, 10:55

timd wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 12:51
Unfortunately, there are no records of research about the effectiveness of alternative methods in curing cancer. Conventional medicine does not receive the advertising hype that alternative methods do, but supporters of alternative methods claim that big pharmaceutical companies do not want to lose revenue on their products. I would like to see some serious research done on alternative methods.
It's true. There is not enough research on alternative methods, but there is some. For every study, there is a lot of money from traditional oncology dedicated to proving the alternative methods won't work. It's true that pharmaceutical companies (chemo drug companies) drive most of the research. I thing the perspective that is lost in all of this, from my experience, is this: Our hyper-focus on quantity of life is misdirected, where cancer treatment is concerned. Studies may show that people live some percentage longer with certain traditional treatments. What's missed in these studies is how profoundly many survivor's lives have been negatively impacted by traditional treatments, especially chemotherapy. Survival at what cost? There is an enormous faction of survivors, including myself, who would never, under any circumstances, choose these treatments again, even to save our lives. I would gladly have traded years of my life to not be suffering with devastating long-term effects of chemo. The importance of the quality of remaining life is profoundly under-recognized. I think this is an area where research is badly needed. Not meant to be a rant. :tiphat:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams
Latest Review: Cocoon by Veronica Red

timd
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 236
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by timd » 14 Feb 2019, 15:36

I can fully understand your perspective as I have seen many cancer victims. I personally feel that there are in fact more than several alternative treatments which have not been investigated fully. I also would not be surprised to hear that large companies had been instrumental in keeping this research either secret or not allowing it to be done. I think after it was discovered that in the 60'S sugar manufactures apparently paid researchers to publish that fats were responsible for obesity and not sugar, then anything is possible. Here in South Africa, I do tend to support conventional medicine as there are many scams over here.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

Post by Kelyn » 15 Feb 2019, 14:33

I am a definite advocate of alternative medicine. I use it for both myself and my family on a daily basis. Do I think it could be MORE helpful in treating cancer than traditional medicines? I can only say that in my research into herbology, I've never come across anything that could. (Not that herbology is the only form of alternative medicine. It's simply what I'm familiar with.) Can it help in some aspects? Definitely. But look for reliable sources with plenty of positive reviews and detailed information. Or go the wild route and grow the plants you have researched and found as possibilities yourself. But as with anything, research, research, research. Natural medicines can be just as lethal in the wrong combination and/or dose as pharmaceutical ones.
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by hala-elnagy » 15 Feb 2019, 16:28

Many cases have been treated with natural herbs and proved its usefulness but the problem of herbs that they contain several components beside the active component.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Shielasshi_93 » Yesterday, 23:35

I'm sorry for your mother's diagnosis, I hope she will be cured and have a speedy recovery. I think theres nothing wrong in trying alternative medicine specially if they have good results to boast. Its actually nice nowadays because people have many options than before.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”