Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by EricaWilson »

The book might have been stronger had the author been in the science field herself, but I feel that she still brings up a great amount of proof to back up her claims. She draws from outside sources, including things she learned from her own father's research.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

From what I've read, it's a mix of both. The author strongly believes in her claims and she has her father's extensive research to back them up.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The author of this book has given a reference from her father's experiment that how he had cured a French President, and there are other examples given in the book to prove that this book is the result of research.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think that it really comes down to the fact that it isn't a scientific paper. It's a work of non-fiction where she incorporates the research that has been done and presents it in a way that is easily understandable to the general populace. So asking if it is research based or opinion based isn't really fair. She definitely gives ample backup to the research that she mentions in the book. But she also gives opinions based on her life experiences. In the end, I would say that it is a well written book with strong research to back the claims that are made.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

Father's research, it is more an opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I do believe it's opinion.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think this book is a result of research, because Sylvie did not even think to continue her father's work until she was approached by patients who originally healed from her father's extracts before he died. It wasn't until Sylvie saw the benefits of his extracts and the need for this type of help when she began to think about continuing the research. Sylvie also worked with multiple scientists and biologists to confirm the effectiveness of her father's extracts like Pao Pereira. So this book is definitely a result of research.
:character-ariel:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think valid research has been done by her father on the subject. I find this good enough reason to believe in it.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

Much of the author's narrative is fueled by her opinions. However, the actual information and facts that she includes in her book are not mere opinions or the result of her father's ideas, but, rather, they are backed by academic papers and scientific studies done by a plethora of experts in the field. As such, this book is both a necessary result of the author's opinions and idealology AND a result of legitimate research.
jefftone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jefftone.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by jefftone »

I think she has acquired vital information from some bit of research on the same since she is neither a biologist nor a medical expert but a lawyer.Though her dad had deep knowhow on health,it is not enough to put it that she stagnated on that,she might have gone a certain step ahead to validate the above.Even though many people won't agree with her since she's not educated in the field of medicine.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The book is more opinion based. Specifically based off her father's research and knowledge as a lawyer. Blessings!
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

Cancer is a life-threatening disease, this work should be based on research findings and not just one person's research. It's not an academic book, so I don't think the author's academic background matters. However, researchers in the field might find some gaps in research through this book and publish peer reviewed articles to refute or prove the ideas expressed herein.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

In my opinion, the claims made in the book are opinions of the author. However, the author is not a complete fool. There is some research involved as the author's father was a biologist.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Yes I think it is based on a sufficient level of research to back it's claims. Her father's research was spectacular.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The one thing that has struck me as I have been reading this book is that the author is pretty transparent about the fact that she is out of her element in the field that her parents had careers in. But, she enlists help to continue on the work. That, to me, speaks volumes about the authenticity of the work. Henry Ford was a great inventor with only an eighth-grade education. He surrounded himself with the right people who knew the answers and to help him problem solve those things that were out of his league. I am finding that this author has done the same thing as she navigates her way through her father's much-valued work.
Everything happens for a reason...
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

According to a review that I've red, the book is a result of the author's father's life long research and his battle against big pharmaceutical companies. Whether it is her's or her father's, the research have produced positive outcome which matters more.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”