Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Re: Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Post by Julehart1 »

This is a tough question. I think the author writes clearly enough and presents her case well, however, if someone is skeptical, I doubt they will seriously consider what this book has to say. I think the people who are looking for alternative treatment for cancer will love this book, but those that aren’t inclined to believe, won’t really give it much of a chance.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The cover is also already a warning for skeptics and those who love western medicine. I think it might not attract a lot of them since they've already been brainwashed by the system. Fortunately, the scientific evidence in the book backs up her narrative. hopefully people will keep an open mind. However, we all know if we present alternatives like these to people, the corporate world will have a fit because they'll be losing a lot of profit.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

Though this book may not convince everybody, I think it would appeal to those who want to find some hope for treatment.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:07 I actually do not intend to read this because I'm a skeptic. While I'd be willing to look at natural means as a side dish, there's no way I'd use such treatments as the entrée, not with something as serious as cancer. Fortunately, I don't have cancer and therefore don't need either.
I actually agree on this one. Natural means could help but it is not the only thing that can helo in winning this war. However, in the book it is also stated that it could be used in chemotherapy for a full effect.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:05 I suppose it really boils down to if the author manages to keep a neutral, fact presenting voice and back up claims with actual data not just "I heard of one person who tried it and it worked".
I agree with your point
---
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Perhaps the majority of people with differing opinions would opt out of reading this book. In that sense, this book would be preaching to the choir. However, I believe that if at least one person is interested in reading about an opposing opinion from their own, then this book will have accomplished its purpose.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Mely918 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 23:44 However, I believe that if at least one person is interested in reading about an opposing opinion from their own, then this book will have accomplished its purpose.
I love this perspective! Great way to say it! Thanks, it just added a new way of looking into things for me. :tiphat:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This is the second book I am reading on the topic since 2018. And I have found this one to be as convincing and positive as the other. If someone approaches the book with an open mind, they are sure to appreciate how good it actually is.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 15:48 I've found, especially when it comes to medicine, skeptics will not change their minds even presented with overwhelming evidence. We have this false belief that doctors are gods who can do no wrong. Sometimes, people don't want to change their beliefs.
I find this true enough. People want facts and also statistics. However, in this case, they do have the facts but is running a bit low in statistics. People will change their beliefs as long they know it will work. Sadly, we cannot reach the desired statistics people want if we don't switch to the alternative given by the book. It would take a great leap of faith to ditch the proven orthodox method for this.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Convincing. It is backed up by evidence.
:tiphat:
Egunletihabee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Egunletihabee »

Thinking of the adverse increase of this disease in the society, adherent to alternative professionals (chiropractors, Naturopaths, Massage Therapists, therapeutics, Acupuncturists) wouldn't be an option but also used as alternate solution. For been skeptics will be an inferior thought of minds when presented with overwhelming evidence that has proved me wrong when talking of one way medical treatment, I think this book should
be put more emphasis on encouragingg More than one way treatment for cancer, for it be might be a war against all knowledge talk more of one way treatment.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

To be very honest, it was not so appealing to me by the title. But when I started reading it, I found it contains some considerable knowledge that should be perceived by everyone.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

So I'm not too sure where I land on the skeptic scale, but here are my thoughts:

When I first read the title, I rolled my eyes. I wasn't interested at all. It made me think about all the anti-vaxxers and I thought this was going to be along those same lines. However, my interest was piqued when I read in the review about how the government shut down all of Dr. Baljanski's research. I do love a conspiracy theory and I can see how those who would lose business/couldn't make this super profitable would be opposed to its production. I've heard someone say once that curing cancer isn't profitable, but expensive "treatments" are.

I am more inclined to believe that this is actual facts other than just some quack-job spouting off non-sense considering he didn't say this would replace the current cancer treatments, but to aid in reducing the side-effects. There is definitely value in natural remedies, evident by the effects of eating a healthy diet. I'm more of a believer of using natural remedies along-side modern medicine, and I think that the intended audience would be those who hang in the middle. Those on both extremes of the continuum have their beliefs and won't easily be swayed, but the people who have an "open mind" may be more easy to convince.

All that being said, the biggest turn off to me was in the official review where it said that the book included a link to Baljanski's website where you could purchase these supplements. That sort of makes me wonder about the credibility of the whole book or if it's just an elaborate gimmick to sell me something else that doesn't super work.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Cancer is a complex issue it has become almost political. Handling a cancer topic will always draw attention to skeptics and supporters in equal measures. I believe it is polarizing issue.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Though I might be a little sceptical, I believe books like these spark great discussions and debates in the scientific community. Hopefully that will lead to new approaches in countering cancer and also curing it.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”