What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Sophy Chunge »

In my opinion, it is an optimistic title which also recognizes the reality of the situation. "Winning" shows that there's hope. And "war" kind of reminds us that there are casualties. There's no war without casualties. It's tough but it can be won. So, for those still alive and those who have already lost loved ones to cancer, don't give up, keep fighting the war against cancer.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
amira4me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amira4me.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by amira4me »

I too, took issue with the title, but from a purely aesthetic point of view. The title reeks of late-nite TV special and then we are immediately greeted by reviews lauding the author (typical) and then a bunch of rhetorical questions (atypical). It is a little hard to get through, because it feels a bit like I am being preached to. I have not made it to the end yet, so the choice of "winning" may be alluding to the conclusion, or Nixon's edict on page one paragraph one of the Introduction and the historical events that followed. All in all, the format seems a bit outdated.
I prefer the timelessness of edict, and the quote used was of such importance and historical note that it stood out to me from the previous writing; in addition to its aesthetic styling. My question is, if going through all the trouble to turn a personal account into a matter of national relevance, parlay, or anecdote; why not start with that in the first place? I feel that efforts should have been made to have the Nixon edict on the cover, as the picture of the mint leaf seemed a bit gimmicky as well. ( From my expert advice, as mint grows here, that is a mint leaf, and not a tea leaf, which is I believe what they were going for, if i am referencing the Table of Contents correctly. )
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

The title actuwlly radiates hope as it directly states winning over this fatal disease which have taken millions of lives. It sets the mood that there is a cure, there is something we can do stop it. Giving up is not an option because we can win.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
treatorganic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by treatorganic »

When I first saw the title it sounded as if the book was going to tell you ways to overcome the condition. Unfortunately, we have been ill-equipped with the knowledge and wisdom of such things and take what these different so called authorities on the subject for face value. We then find out for ourselves through personal experiences or through the experiences of others what the real battle is like and what help there really is to win the war over such things as cancer. The title may be a misrepresentation for those who have lost loved ones to the disease but to others a representation of we can do this. I have taken courses in health and wellness waiting to graduate in hopes of helping others achieve overall wellness. There is no get fixed quick or cookie cutter approach that will satisfy the idea of a one size fits all and everything gets better. However, with all illnesses, it must be attacked from every angle possible to say we did the best we could do. It is a journey to make it through the processes to get to well-being. Having someone to take the walk with you with love and edification is better than having to deal with such things on our own.
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

I find the title misguided. Cancer isn't a war that can be won based off one's arsenal strength and strategy. It's ultimately a game of fate that required a divine intervention to overcome.

God bless you!
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

stacie k wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 09:30 I appreciate that the title imparts a sense of hope to the reader. We all need hope, whether the diagnosis comes to us personally or to someone we care about. The title makes me want to hear what the author has to say.
You're right! The title seems informative that convinced hope to someone who undergoes cancer. The word 'cancer' looks scary, but thanks God it's curable now.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The title really brings out what cancer has done and at the same time am glad there is an uplifting word "winning" to give hope.
BadEditions
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badeditions.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by BadEditions »

I think including "winning" in the title gives more false hope than encouragement. As you said, it makes it sound like a done deal, which isn't true. Also as someone with a scientific background, I can safely tell you that curing cancer isn't a "battle" to be won with brute force but a puzzle to be solved with dogged persistence until you can finally see the big picture and subsequently a cure. It's not something you can reach by simply reading one book.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It is actually open to interpretation I think. In the sense that it could be either figurative or literal. So the reader does not know what to expect and goes in with an open mind.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

amira4me wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 19:00 I too, took issue with the title, but from a purely aesthetic point of view. The title reeks of late-nite TV special and then we are immediately greeted by reviews lauding the author (typical) and then a bunch of rhetorical questions (atypical). It is a little hard to get through, because it feels a bit like I am being preached to. I have not made it to the end yet, so the choice of "winning" may be alluding to the conclusion, or Nixon's edict on page one paragraph one of the Introduction and the historical events that followed. All in all, the format seems a bit outdated.
I prefer the timelessness of edict, and the quote used was of such importance and historical note that it stood out to me from the previous writing; in addition to its aesthetic styling. My question is, if going through all the trouble to turn a personal account into a matter of national relevance, parlay, or anecdote; why not start with that in the first place? I feel that efforts should have been made to have the Nixon edict on the cover, as the picture of the mint leaf seemed a bit gimmicky as well. ( From my expert advice, as mint grows here, that is a mint leaf, and not a tea leaf, which is I believe what they were going for, if i am referencing the Table of Contents correctly. )
Wow, this is such a detailed observation to answer my question, without bias too. I really am thankful for going out of your way to give your opinion on this. Yes, I do feel it that way too that I am being preached on instead of informing me. It's like their views are being "shoved down my throat" - for a lack of words - rather than telling me there is an alternative. The edict, on the other hand, I failed to give attention to; I would read it again. Well, a lot of people are being pulled into by that mint leaf, so I guess it is as effective as they thought it would be. Grateful to have this discussion with you! :tiphat: When you finished the book, be sure to tell me about your conclusion ;)
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

BadEditions wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 21:32 I can safely tell you that curing cancer isn't a "battle" to be won with brute force but a puzzle to be solved with dogged persistence until you can finally see the big picture and subsequently a cure. It's not something you can reach by simply reading one book.
I do agree with this! Being in the scientific field, you see things a little wider in this topic. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I think it is a very eye-catching title, but you are right, it's a bold proclamation that isn't quite accurate. I think it does its job of pulling someone's attention into the book though.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
JoLei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolei.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by JoLei »

I like the title, as it offers hope that there is a way to win the war on cancer. From what I understand, Sylvie Beljanski writes about a natural cure for cancer; this goes against the pharmaceutical industry, which thrives on sales of medication that don't necessarily offer 100% success rates in terms of cure. People tend to think that more expensive is better. However, affordable natural remedies do exist and are at times overlooked due to lack of monetary value. I don't know that a natural remedy for cancer exists, but because the title includes the word 'winning', it draws me in and makes me want to know how concrete and credible the author's solution(s) is/are. Therefore, I think the title is very effective.
Bookworm256

Post by Bookworm256 »

I feel the title gives hope. Being someone whom has not only experienced loss of someone from cancer but through my experience as a nurse i have also seen plenty of cancer survivors. I think having hope goes a long way. I would read the book because of the title. To give me hope if i was a cancer patient or to help me to understand how to give hope to or be their for a cancer patient.
MichelleHite

Post by MichelleHite »

I believe we can win the war against cancer. I would read based on the title because I feel it is a war, and some time in our life we all will have to fight in this battle for ourself or a loved one. I lost my husband to cancer so I know this battle well, and would love to be more equipped.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”