Do you enjoy re-reading books or is once enough?

For December 2018 Genre Discussion, we will be reading a favorite book or a book by an author we love.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Do you enjoy re-reading books or is once enough?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For me, I actually do love to re-read certain books for either nostalgia or because I've forgotten specific points and would like to remember them. Sometimes, I also enjoy a re-read when I end up reading two or three books in a row that I haven't enjoyed and need a reminder why I love reading. :mrgreen:

How about you? Are you the type of person who enjoys to re-read certain books or is once enough?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

It definitely depends on the book but there are many books I enjoy re-reading. Often it is for the nostalgia effect, but sometimes it's because a movie of the book came out and I have to check they got it right!
There's a lot that can be missed on the first read so it can feel like a whole new book sometimes
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also like to re-read some of my favorite books. I have read "Pride and Prejudice" more than once.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I love to re-read books! Though, I do need to read a new book between each re-read. Otherwise, I'll wrap myself up in worlds that I already know and never get to new adventures.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Harley-Panda wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:49 It definitely depends on the book but there are many books I enjoy re-reading. Often it is for the nostalgia effect, but sometimes it's because a movie of the book came out and I have to check they got it right!
There's a lot that can be missed on the first read so it can feel like a whole new book sometimes
That's a good point about re-reading a book if the movie based on the book is about to be released. I like doing that, too!

It's very true - a lot can be missing on the first read. That's what I love about re-reading - discovering things that I may not have picked up the first time around.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:55 I also like to re-read some of my favorite books. I have read "Pride and Prejudice" more than once.
Nice! I have yet to read Pride and Prejudice, I should really get on that. Maybe it'll be part of my New Year's Resolution! mrgreen:
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I, also, re-read books. Lately, I haven't been doing it as much because there have been so many good books I've wanted to read one time. However, I am getting a serious hankering to re-read the Harry Potter series over again. And as @gali said, I've read (and watched) Pride & Prejudice multiple times over. :D
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gemma_15 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 15:27 I love to re-read books! Though, I do need to read a new book between each re-read. Otherwise, I'll wrap myself up in worlds that I already know and never get to new adventures.
That's a good point about the "danger" of constantly re-reading books - you may miss out on new and exciting adventures! Breaking re-reads with a new book sounds like a good idea. :handgestures-thumbup:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:21 I, also, re-read books. Lately, I haven't been doing it as much because there have been so many good books I've wanted to read one time. However, I am getting a serious hankering to re-read the Harry Potter series over again. And as @gali said, I've read (and watched) Pride & Prejudice multiple times over. :D
I always have the hankering to re-read the Harry Potter series. I've actually re-read the first four fairly recently and thinking of beginning the fifth one after the New Year.

You enjoy Pride and Prejudice, too? Guess I should bump that one up on my TBR list. :)
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:25
kandscreeley wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:21 I, also, re-read books. Lately, I haven't been doing it as much because there have been so many good books I've wanted to read one time. However, I am getting a serious hankering to re-read the Harry Potter series over again. And as @gali said, I've read (and watched) Pride & Prejudice multiple times over. :D
I always have the hankering to re-read the Harry Potter series. I've actually re-read the first four fairly recently and thinking of beginning the fifth one after the New Year.

You enjoy Pride and Prejudice, too? Guess I should bump that one up on my TBR list. :)
Definitely! I saw the BBC version of it first. Then I decided I wanted to read it. It seems to be more of a chick story; I haven't seen many men that like it. You have to at least try it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

Harley-Panda wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:49 It definitely depends on the book but there are many books I enjoy re-reading. Often it is for the nostalgia effect, but sometimes it's because a movie of the book came out and I have to check they got it right!
I re-read before the movie releases as well! It's a great way to relive the books and see what important parts were left out. But, that can also be dangerous because a lot of movies will be so far from the book's story line that I just get angry and find it hard to enjoy either for a while.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:27
hsimone wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:25

Definitely! I saw the BBC version of it first. Then I decided I wanted to read it. It seems to be more of a chick story; I haven't seen many men that like it. You have to at least try it.
Chick stories are good for me. :) I will definitely give it a try!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gemma_15 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 17:13
I re-read before the movie releases as well! It's a great way to relive the books and see what important parts were left out. But, that can also be dangerous because a lot of movies will be so far from the book's story line that I just get angry and find it hard to enjoy either for a while.
Yes, that is the trouble of re-reading right before a movie release. I also find myself comparing and contrasting, then getting upset when things are changed (and sometimes for no real reason!). :doh: :)
Heidi

Joy Hertz
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy Hertz »

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said you should always re-read a favorite before starting to read something new. 😀 I took that to heart when I was little, so I'm always re-reading. Though, typically I read allot of books at the same time (like 5) so usually 2/5 are rereads that I go back to whenever the new books get too emotionally intense and I need a break, or the author reaches a dull or obviously troubled spot, and I need a break 🤣 Pride and Prejudice is so worth many re-reads! And I love re-reads for sake of fact-checking right before or right after a movie version comes out! I always gain new appreciation for the director's artistic choices when the original is fresh in my mind rather than just being sore over "what they did wrong!" It's exciting! I'm kinda new to the forums and am not sure how to reference back to post as of yet 😅
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

If the book is well written I can read it over and over again. Sometimes the author is so talented at writing that it’s a joy to read even though you know how it will turn out

Return to “December 2018 Genre Discussion”