Tim

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Tim

Post by daydreaming reader »

Tim spoke publicly about his involvement in the investigation before his death. However, if it wasn't for Paul's plan, Tim would never have been involved in any investigation. Thus, do you think Paul felt some degree of guilt in regards to Tim's death?
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by leanne_brown17 »

We didn't see a lot of Paul's guilt after Tim died, but he probably did feel some. Due to the fact that Tim had also been interested in dating Rachelle, and that Paul was a bit of a coward when it came to her, perhaps one could stretch it to assume that Paul was conflicted about how he felt regarding Tim's death. On the one hand, a friend and valued community member was gone, and on the other, so was Paul's most forefront romantic competitor.
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

leanne_brown17 wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 10:33 We didn't see a lot of Paul's guilt after Tim died, but he probably did feel some. Due to the fact that Tim had also been interested in dating Rachelle, and that Paul was a bit of a coward when it came to her, perhaps one could stretch it to assume that Paul was conflicted about how he felt regarding Tim's death. On the one hand, a friend and valued community member was gone, and on the other, so was Paul's most forefront romantic competitor.
I'm with you on this one. I feel like his determination to find the killer only came as part of doing his job.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm actually quite glad that we didn't see too much guilt over Tim's death. Paul was a bit of a wet anyway, and then to laden him with guilt would have made him seem too pathetic.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I have not read the full book yet, but I can guess from the reviews that he was a bit confused about his feelings on the death of Tim.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I believe that Paul or anyone else would feel guilty to some degree. Tim was one of the people that Paul reached out to because he was among those that Paul trusted. I mean if I were in Paul's shoes I would feel bad for bringing him in on anything that he was not at all already apart of which in turn ended up costing him his life.
Chelsea N. Hackett
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

It's Paul's faul that Tim got into the situation, but absolutely not his fault he talked and got into a fatal situation as a result. We are solely responsible for our words and actions.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The fact that Paul felt solely responsible for bringing Rachelle into plan could be a pointer that he may have felt some guilt over Tim's death. However, Tim's role in the plan was to keep his eyes and ears open. Paul even reminded him. No harm would have befallen him, had he stuck to the plan.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Tim was foolish to talk about his involvement. However, I felt that Paul had a much closer bond with Allan.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Paul agonized over his guilt bringing Rachelle and Allen into the scheme, but Tim seemed to be a plot mover. Paul feels guilt and remorse over everything else but conveniently doesn't on Tim. I think a reasonable person would feel some guilt, but the author doesn't show this.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It seems only natural that he'd feel some guilt, but at the end of the day, we can only really control our own actions. That line of logic is probably why it wasn't a major plot point in the book.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

leanne_brown17 wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 10:33 We didn't see a lot of Paul's guilt after Tim died, but he probably did feel some. Due to the fact that Tim had also been interested in dating Rachelle, and that Paul was a bit of a coward when it came to her, perhaps one could stretch it to assume that Paul was conflicted about how he felt regarding Tim's death. On the one hand, a friend and valued community member was gone, and on the other, so was Paul's most forefront romantic competitor.
I agree with your point.
---
Slater Barness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater-barness.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Slater Barness »

I don't think so, Tim's death occurred in the course of his execution of his duties. It could have happened to anybody.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Of course he would feel a little guild based on the involvement before Tim's death, but then he wasn't directly involved in his death. In the story the guilt is not apparent if it does exist, so probably he just reasoned it away. Even though they were both after the same girl, it doesn't directly have to implicate him in the murder. These were just two independent facts in the case.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Paul worked as a detective. He had to know things like this would happen in his line of work. It would be natural for him to feel some guilt. As a professional, he couldn't let it consume him.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”