Suitability of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Suitability of the Title

Post by holsam_87 »

The title works fine since it taps into the fears of all the characters.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I don't only pick books by the title but I was thinking it was a horror book as well between the title and the art work. A little misleading, but it also can go with the genre it really is. Plus, more of a surprise then of what the book is really about which is good. I normally skim what the book is about as well so for me- no big issue.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

In my view, the title is frightening and makes me think the book will be a thriller - so very fitting, frankly.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The subject matter of the book sound terrifying and so I believe the title is very suitable for this. It even adds curiosity for one to delve into this book especially as combined with the cover picture.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 00:15 I think the title is misleading. I initially thought this book was a horror not just because of its title, but also because of its cover art. In my opinion, the author ought to at least come up with a better title. Perhaps a simple one word title that can draw readers in and let them know right away that this is a suspense novel.
Ohhh! A one-word title is a great idea! That would definitely make me think SUSPENSE.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Though the title of the book make the reader think that it is a horror story (but it is not so) still i feel that the book title suits the book because of its suspense factor.
---
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

"Fear" doesn't always have to equate to "horror". Fear is subjective; everyone is afraid of something and those fears can be different from person to person. Although this is not a "horror" book, it still instills plenty of fear being suspense and mystery. One of the greatest fears is that of the unknown.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The definition of a "horror book" is pretty vague - for example, does a horror book need to have a monster or other supernatural elements, or can it involve psychological horror that could (theoretically) happen in real life? It's clear that some readers have definitions that don't line up with the author's, which could point to the author doing too little research in their target genre.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

The core theme of the story involves fear. The title is used in a metaphoric sense and is aligned with the story. The Face of Fear is a suitable title.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think the title is appropriate. However, the title in conjunction with the book’s cover seems misleading. The author seems to have succeeding in appealing to horror fans, but many seem disappointed with the delivery.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that to those who expected a horror story, they had a big disappointment since this is almost a normal story. But maybe it was not to be taken literally.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

The story is about murder, kidnapping etc.The story line and the title in my opinion is suitable, it refers to fear faced by characters and not readers.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

One could easily say the title and book cover are misleading, however i would rather look at these as good marketing strategy. The title is catchy and the cover plays on the popularity of a horror classic.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

The title and the cover appear to have the same issue of not really doing justice to the book. I didn’t read the whole book, but the sample and reviews I did read clearly point to this being a suspenseful thriller. But the title and cover indicate a horror story. Gives literal meaning to not judging a book by its cover!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 00:15 I think the title is misleading. I initially thought this book was a horror not just because of its title, but also because of its cover art. In my opinion, the author ought to at least come up with a better title. Perhaps a simple one word title that can draw readers in and let them know right away that this is a suspense novel.
I don't really see the title as misleading though. Maybe I'm just not used to titles of horror stories
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”