Debbie: Love or Hate?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
RaeReads
Favorite Book: A Game of Thrones
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 32

Debbie: Love or Hate?

Post by RaeReads »

I'm curious to know if anyone else had as strong an immediate and visceral reaction to Debbie as I did.
On the very first page, when she muses "She was blessed, and she recognized it. At 26 years of age she couldn't have asked for a better life other than losing her mother at the age of 13" my gut was reaction was that I would not be able to relate to this girl at all. The way the author writes this makes it seem as though Debbie is nonchalantly dismissing the death of her mother as a casualty of her own good fortune. Like "Well, my mom died but it's all good cause I live a pampered lifestyle! Fair trade right?"
Regardless of what the author might have done differently, I started thinking that this powerful reaction to their character was a good thing, and that it might actually compel me to continue reading because I dislike the character so much that I want to know if anything bad happens to her :D (Yes, I'm that person lol).
Debbie in The Face of Fear by RJ Torbert may well become a character I love to hate, which can be as enjoyable as those I just plain love.
What are your impressions of this character?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. " - George R.R. Martin
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

What I can say is, a character is a character. I do not usually get into their shoes and try to imagine the situation. By being a total outsider, how can we say anything about anyone's character :eusa-think:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Yes, these two sentences confused me too, on the one side author was saying that Debbie was a most blessed girl and on the other side the author is saying that Debbie is not that so much blessed as she has lost her mother at the age of 13, and when I read Debbie's opinion about her mother, I got totally shocked.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The character grew into who she needed to be for the story. Her personality and life are things i can never jugde unless I were to be in the EXACT same life.
austinez
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by austinez »

Which begs the question, did Debbie initiate the death of her mother to get blessed? This keeps coming to my mind.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I think it's just fine that Debbie doesn't dwell on her loss. She had a long time to mourn and she should be able to see her life as blessed even though she had a tragedy at 13 years old. It may seem like she brushes it off, but I feel like it's less a brush off and more of an acceptance about what happened. But, as we are not in her shoes, we can't fully understand her thought processes and development.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Well, we cannot judge a character from the very beginning of the book. A character needs to grow. I guess the same goes for Debbie.
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by leanne_brown17 »

I didn't find anything off-putting about Debbie. Throughout the book we learn a lot about her, and I think that the vast majority of it is positive. The one small error in judgement she made was trusting her friend to "take care" of certain things (which ultimately led to the kidnapping). She is warm, loyal to her friends, father and boyfriend, and doesn't seem to have trouble making personal connections despite growing up very wealthy. In other words, she doesn't seem like a snob. On the contrary, she seems quite well-rounded and genuine.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I feel like she went through a lot at age 26...I mean, to begin with, she did not ask to be birthed into a rich family, and eventually get kidnapped!
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Regardless of what the author might have done differently, I started thinking that this powerful reaction to their character was a good thing, and that it might actually compel me to continue reading because I dislike the character so much that I want to know if anything bad happens to her :D (Yes, I'm that person lol).
Me, too! I'm always intrigued by really intense characters. Even if I don't like him/her, that feeling of needing to know what happens next is a powerful motivator. I always want to know whether evildoers get their punishment!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I didn't relate to Debbie. Therefore, I neither hate nor love the character. :|
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Those two sentences also confused me. I did not expect a positive statement after the revelation that her mom had passed on but in the introductory part, she is still a nice character. This is my opinion.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kajori50 wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 09:03 Well, we cannot judge a character from the very beginning of the book. A character needs to grow. I guess the same goes for Debbie.
This is true. I think and do support that the overall opinion should come from the character analysis in the entire book. This will give room for a fair opinion.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I had no issues with Debbie and even her statement. To me, it sounded a lot like she's moved on with her life, after all, staying stuck in the pain of the past helps no one. Her mother's death being the only dent in her perfect life does prove that no one's life is that perfect actually, in the real sense of the word. She was merely counting her blessings and maintaining positivity despite her childhood loss.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice way to look at it too. I also think that she decided to inform the reader of what had happened in the past but the approach was a bit awkward. However, her main focus seems to be the way her father has been treating her.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”