Would "The Face of Fear" make a good movie?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Would "The Face of Fear" make a good movie?

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think it would make an excellent movie. It has all the hallmarks of a thriller with a kidnapping and a desperate search to find the daughter. The premise reminded me of the Taken movies. It just has to have the right people to play the parts to add to the overall cinematic experience.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I believe that The Face of Fear would make a good movie. Yet, I also feel that the movies are never as good as the bookd.
Chelsea N. Hackett
StelKel1592
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stelkel1592.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by StelKel1592 »

I haven't read it in full, so can't say for sure, but it seems like it has the makings of a movie. One of the chief complaints I've read abut the book are that there's a lot of superfluous detail, and because movies have to truncate so much anyway, the script-writing process would take care of some of the weaknesses of the book, and let the promising premise take centre stage.
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 00:13 I think the plot has potential for a good movie adaptation. However, reading a simple plot synopsis like that automatically makes me think of the movie "Taken." I think that as long as it's done originally and doesn't come off as a "Taken" knock-off, it could make an incredibly good movie.
I felt like this too. I do think this book would make a better movie than Taken, but the fact that we've had so many Taken movies, with that topic, is going to make it seem like a new version.
The Face of Fear has an incredible plot and could make a very good movie, but the only way it would work is by working very carefully to make it original.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

From the way the plot is still, this could make a good movie indeed. The way Debbie is kidnapped is one of the places that could certainly be acted out well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 00:13 I think the plot has potential for a good movie adaptation. However, reading a simple plot synopsis like that automatically makes me think of the movie "Taken." I think that as long as it's done originally and doesn't come off as a "Taken" knock-off, it could make an incredibly good movie.
This is true. How could have forgotten about this movie? The forensic skills of the main character were amazing. I guess that this book could, however, be a bit different from 'Taken'.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

gen_g wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 02:05
I agree, it does sound very much like Taken! But it's definitely a premise that would make a good movie.
The plot would have to be very unique, and then some, to top the likes of Taken.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 01:27
gen_g wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 02:05
I agree, it does sound very much like Taken! But it's definitely a premise that would make a good movie.
The plot would have to be very unique, and then some, to top the likes of Taken.
Like you and Mely918 have mentioned, it would certainly need a fresh element to it to avoid being compared with Taken. Nonetheless, with the enormity of Taken's success, I suppose it would be a tough act!
SpectreMy
Currently Reading: City of Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spectremy.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by SpectreMy »

Indeed the big question finding right directior ,actor & actress and etc to make it work
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson

Post by lesler »

I think it would make a better tv series-with at least 5 seasons, each season focusing on a different conflict.
Lydia Curtis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lydia Curtis »

The idea in it's self sounds like it would be a big hit , but the name might need a little improvement but in all, it sounds like a wonderful idea.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

It is an intriguing plot that will make an excellent action thriller movie. And I think it won't be difficult to create since there is a Screen movie franchise for ghost face already.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

It'll make a good movie as it deals with contemporary problems such as kidnap and single parenthood.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Absolutely. This story is full of the sort of tension and excitement that thrills movie audiences.
Doom Boy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doom Boy »

I think it would be a good book rather then it's pretty much based on taken. I think I would need a little more information to say, but from what it seems, it's a good idea.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”