Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 208
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Mouricia25 » 02 Dec 2018, 22:00

The book cover alone would have caused me to not want to read this book. But it seems to be an okay book so far.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Vscholz
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 800
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz » 02 Dec 2018, 22:24

imjaneturner wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 06:07
I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
It really is a shame that there are so many errors, and in the beginning, too. I have been excited about this book since I saw it was named December BotM, but I am a stickler for decent grammar.

Thank you for this example (and the citation!!!). I'll have to consider more before I decide whether or not to take the plunge.

amandathebibliophile
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by amandathebibliophile » 03 Dec 2018, 22:19

I have twice put this book at the top of my “want to read” list in my bookshelves. The opening gripped me right away. Plus, I always love the BOTM on this site and really liked the sample! I’m going to get to this book SOON!

Amy+++
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 560
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: Dark Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Amy+++ » 04 Dec 2018, 15:35

The book stared off slow, but then it picked up after the ferry incodent.

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 04 Dec 2018, 22:31

I will have to give my rating once I am done reading the book. It seems there are a lot of grammatical errors that need some round of editing.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

leanne_brown17
2018 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by leanne_brown17 » 05 Dec 2018, 10:25

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. I found the information on Port Jefferson somewhat interesting, but I only liked a few of the characters and the unnecessary attention to detail got boring. I did like the element of mystery involved in the book and despite the lack of proper editing, I continued to read it until the end. I did feel that the plot had a lot of potential so I would recommend this book to others, but only to those who can overlook the many errors within it.

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by mac83 » 05 Dec 2018, 14:06

I haven't read this book yet, but after looking at some of the comments, I think I'd give it a chance. I like books with twists and turns. However, I did see there are a lot of grammatical errors in the book. That can truly make or break a book sometimes.
Mac :techie-reference:

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 05 Dec 2018, 23:48

The plot of the book is very good and well laid out. I guess this is one of the things that make a good book. The characters are also well developed. I guess if these were the only parameters to be used in rating, a perfect score could be well-deserved.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

N_R
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: The Embalmer
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R » 06 Dec 2018, 02:35

That is really disappointing to hear that there are a lot of grammatical errors as this really does ruin a book. Strong character development is really important and it sounds like the book is not lacking in this regard.

Theresam
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Theresam » 06 Dec 2018, 11:25

alihaider1336 wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 11:16
I liked the book because it tells you about how to cope with your fear. It can really be helpful about those people who fight with their fear and can't cope with it.I recommend it to those people who want to fight with their fear in life.
I’m thinking of adding this book to my reading list. Thank you for the insight. I think it may be helpful to me to take a look at it.

Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading: Crown of souls
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet » 07 Dec 2018, 17:06

Overall it sounds like an interesting book. Hopefully the author will have it edited further so that it can reach its potential.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 99
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Out of the Darkness, Kaboe Valley by Frank Gee

Post by kdstrack » 07 Dec 2018, 22:35

I had a hard time finishing this book. The number of grammatical errors was an issue. I thought the author spent too much time swinging back and forth from romantic interludes to mystery sections. Bud's humor was a refreshing addition to the story. The detectives' moments of "selective listening" were other examples of comic relief that were well done. Lindsey's character was charming. I would have a hard time recommending this book unless it were edited and shortened.

Sicily Joy
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: The African-American Ritual Cookbook
Bookshelf Size: 888
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Sicily Joy » 07 Dec 2018, 23:55

Bianka Walter wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 11:13
I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
I found the beginning too bored to continue because of the focus on unimportant details. It good to know that it is that way throughout.

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: The Blacksmith's Daughter by Patrick John Donahoe

Post by topdan30 » Yesterday, 06:03

I am attracted by the book cover i saw. which really speaks to me. will sure give this book a read.

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: The Blacksmith's Daughter by Patrick John Donahoe

Post by topdan30 » Yesterday, 06:05

kdstrack wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 22:35
I had a hard time finishing this book. The number of grammatical errors was an issue. I thought the author spent too much time swinging back and forth from romantic interludes to mystery sections. Bud's humor was a refreshing addition to the story. The detectives' moments of "selective listening" were other examples of comic relief that were well done. Lindsey's character was charming. I would have a hard time recommending this book unless it were edited and shortened.
Oh guess this book still need alot of editing and proofreading. Thanks for pointing out this, errors put me off books.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”