Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Kvng dave
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Kvng dave »

OVERALL RATING AND OPINION OF "THE FACE OF FEAR" BY RJ TORBERT has an interesting tilte and content which would interest a lot of reader out there. Though there are some grammatical errors but still has an interesting context everyone should read this it's recommendable 😇😊
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

gali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 00:17 This is a discussion topic for the December 2018 Book of the Month, The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel by RJ Torbert. What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
I think this book has a very detailed and intriguing premise. I like that the characters were well developed, and the author upheld the suspense from beginning to end. The grammatical errors were a turn off. I didn't like that. Of course, I'd recommend this book to readers who have the heart for a strong themed crime thriller. Nevertheless, it deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

I've never read crime thrillers before but this sounds interesting enough.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Gurpreet Arora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Gurpreet Arora »

I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

Save for the grammatical errors and some unnecessary details, the book is good. It has a good story line and a lot of people will be interested in getting it. The truth is that we all have fears and we really want to learn how to face those fears. It's a 3 of 4 star rating for me
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I have been looking for recommendations for book to read, and it seems that I have just found it. This seems to be a good book, from your reviews
MA
ARH ComiX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ARH ComiX »

There is a simple rule to writing stories that say. "If it is not relevant to the plot, take it off!" Well... from the 400 plus pages of this book, we can easily remove 300 of unnecessary (and extremely boring) content that add absolutely nothing to the story. For me, this book seemed more like a perpetual advertisement for Port Jefferson local business than an actual story.

Maybe the author should have spent a little less time with irrelevant dialogues and tedious scene descriptions and invest a little more in character development, which seems the author has never heard of.

I got tired of reading, restaurant menus, and eternal praises to how wonderful the restaurant Z Pita is! Really? The absurd amount of grammatical errors are an afterthought compared to everything else bad in this book!
ARH ComiX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ARH ComiX »

Kibetious wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 00:29
Mackenzie Hargis wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 15:52 The characters in "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert are well developed and and described by Torbert. However, the novel needs to be thoroughly edited, for there are many grammatical errors. If you can overlook these errors, the plot of the story is worth reading about!
The quality of character development and plot building is good for sure. I am fascinated by this and I hope that the grammatical errors will be corrected.
I wonder if you actually know what character development means? This book has at best, zero character development for all its characters. We don't get to know anything about any of the characters that is relevant to the plot. Other than futile irrelevant information about what music one of them like. We have no personal stakes for any of the characters involved in solving the crime, we get no background information for any of the characters, their motivations or a simple reason why they are involved in the story at all. Damn, we don't even get a simple physical description of the characters in many cases!

Character development is when the reader understands who the character is, his motivations, his stakes, and mostly WHY he is part of the plot, so you can actually get emotionally involved with the character, feel for them, hate them, love them, and so on. Other than that you have "people doing things."

This book is full of people doing things and talking about things. But very little of an actual story.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

The book is a combination of horror, mystery, and detective. I would suggest it to people who enjoy reading Stephan King's novels or are fans of Sherlock Holmes. I would not suggest it to the experienced and intelligent reader.

Personally, I love reading detectives and horror stories. From the very first glimpse, I fell in love with the cover of this book and thought that the name was catchy too. Because of that, I had some bigger expectations on it. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy reading it. For me the characters were cliche and the plot was easy to guess.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

This website ran out of copies of this book before I could get my hands on one. I really wanted to read it! It looks interesting!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a good mystery thriller once I got into it, but the author didn't research how murder investigations are carried out, so there were many lines not followed, many mistakes made. The editing was also wanting.

I least liked Bud who was impulsive and was master at cursing.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

This is not my type of book, typically I would look the other way but the book title drew me in. I would give a 2 out of 4 rating. Some stories were not properly tied in with some grammatical errors noted. Notwithstanding this book may interest people that enjoy crimes and mysteries.
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

I give this book a three out of four stars, be cause of few grammatical errors i encountered. However, it has a fun story line.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I loved this book. I went out of my comfort zone and read it. I liked the writing style and the various characters. I give the rating 4 out of 4 stars.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
Lolz
Interesting comment

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”