What is your favorite quote?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What is your favorite quote?

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ever_Reading wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 07:43 Indeed the book had many quotable parts. My favorite is "People who don't make many mistakes never take many steps forward or accomplish very much." This is something our schools often fail to teach children at a young age. As such children grow up fearing failure and never challenge themselves enough as adults.
Yes, that is a very powerful quote. Instead of giving us a hard time when we made mistakes, my grandfather used to ask us what we learned from them.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Backpackroses wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:22 I went to see a psychic a year ago and she told me: "You will never soar like an eagle if you're hanging around a bunch of turkeys and chickens." This is the exact quote I found in the book which absolutely resonated with me. I'm going to continue being picky with whom I spend my time and energy with!
Haha! Yes. That's a good one! I'd like to throw in pigeons and old crows!

It is an important piece of advice, though. So many times we don't realize that people around us are sapping our energy or even stopping our progress completely. We need to take time to look around us and analyze our friendships.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Charlotte_Shi wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:04 This is a very simple one, but I like it: ‘…there is also the responsibility that comes from doing nothing at all (a.k.a, sticking your head in the sand).’
I agree! I love to have a debate with my students about whether not making a decision is actually making a decision. They come up with some interesting perspectives.
sarahmarlowe
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 18:43
Charlotte_Shi wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:04 This is a very simple one, but I like it: ‘…there is also the responsibility that comes from doing nothing at all (a.k.a, sticking your head in the sand).’
I agree! I love to have a debate with my students about whether not making a decision is actually making a decision. They come up with some interesting perspectives.
Oh, I can only imagine! What an excellent topic for discussion, so many aspects to be explored… Thank you!
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

I found this to be noteworthy, and not as obvious as it might seem.

‘Here’s a news flash for all you well-intended people: You cannot make anyone else, including yourself, stronger by continually pointing out someone’s perceived weaknesses. It may make you temporarily feel superior, but you know deep down inside that what you’re doing is wrong. When you point out another person’s weakness to them, it makes them feel more self-conscious, more inadequate, and even more hopeless than they did before. In short, it’s demoralizing … If you encourage instead of discourage another person, then they will begin to have the confidence in themselves to be able to work on their weaknesses. This goes for you too!”
John Gavero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by John Gavero »

Ever_Reading wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 07:43 Indeed the book had many quotable parts. My favorite is "People who don't make many mistakes never take many steps forward or accomplish very much." This is something our schools often fail to teach children at a young age. As such children grow up fearing failure and never challenge themselves enough as adults.
I was deeply moved by this quote too. I am one of the people who can't take steps, I am aware that I mistake is acceptable but I still feared it. :techie-studyinggray:
Booklorer
Currently Reading: The white castle
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklorer.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Booklorer »

I like this part, because it’s amazing how we tend to perceive things very differently: ‘By accepting someone else’s reality, you are disregarding your own and giving away your power. Whatever happens around you, don’t take it personally ... Every person has their own unique world of perceptions. When you take something personally, you assume that they know what is in your world, and by accepting what they think as true for you, you allow them to impose their world on yours.’
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Eva Darrington wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 14:20 As an artist who understands just how many colors can be mixed from the primaries, this is my favorite: "Just like the primary colors, the information and people you need to create a better life already exist. All you need to do to create your great masterpiece is begin blending and applying them to your life."
I did not remember this one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It is really beautiful how he relates life to art!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Charlotte_Shi wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:57 I found this to be noteworthy, and not as obvious as it might seem.

‘Here’s a news flash for all you well-intended people: You cannot make anyone else, including yourself, stronger by continually pointing out someone’s perceived weaknesses. It may make you temporarily feel superior, but you know deep down inside that what you’re doing is wrong. When you point out another person’s weakness to them, it makes them feel more self-conscious, more inadequate, and even more hopeless than they did before. In short, it’s demoralizing … If you encourage instead of discourage another person, then they will begin to have the confidence in themselves to be able to work on their weaknesses. This goes for you too!”
Great quote! I agree it is most definitely noteworthy! Thanks. :tiphat:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

“People who don’t make many mistakes never take many steps forward or accomplish very much.”
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

John Gavero wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 10:39
I was deeply moved by this quote too. I am one of the people who can't take steps, I am aware that I mistake is acceptable but I still feared it. :techie-studyinggray:
I can relate to that. Even though I able to get over mistakes much quicker nowadays, I'm still afraid of making them. :shifty:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 18:36
Yes, that is a very powerful quote. Instead of giving us a hard time when we made mistakes, my grandfather used to ask us what we learned from them.
How wise of him to do that. The world needs more people like him!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:52 My favorite quote is: "Do not underestimate the power of small actions." Too often we overlook the importance of little things and their impact on others. I like how to ties this to our thinking patterns. One little, passing thought can grow and have a life of its own. Even what you think can have an effect on others.
Hands down, I entirely relate to this quote. As they say, the ocean is just a sum of tiny drops.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Yes, knowing when to take action and when to just wait it out IS a big responsibility...and it's also difficult to know the difference. :eusa-think:
CinWin
Currently Reading:

Post by CinWin »

Booklorer wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 15:16 I like this part, because it’s amazing how we tend to perceive things very differently: ‘By accepting someone else’s reality, you are disregarding your own and giving away your power. Whatever happens around you, don’t take it personally ... Every person has their own unique world of perceptions. When you take something personally, you assume that they know what is in your world, and by accepting what they think as true for you, you allow them to impose their world on yours.’
I agree - it is one thing to politely listen to another's opinion and another to readily believe other's perceptions of Your reality. :hand:

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”