Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Post by daydreaming reader » 11 Nov 2018, 17:40

I don't think the authors of self help books necessarily lead perfect lives, but when writing a self help book, I don't know how much that matters. A lot of the information presented in the self helps books I have read are quite similar and can be found through research (research can also refute the author's claims or present a different perspective). The difference, however, tends to be when the authors use aspects of their own lives to make the information really matter. Of course, some writers simply have great imagination and may not be genuine. Some authors also write with the intention of sounding obnoxious because this is how they get the audience's attention. Personally, I question the relevance of the content before giving it weight. Since most of the information presented has been topics of research, there is the great possibility that the author is simply presenting what worked for him/ his stance and not necessarily an ultimatum.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 » 12 Nov 2018, 01:25

I think your question is absolutely correct and I personally feel no one has got right to give advice on how one's life should be moulded. Every person has its own situation to deal with.

ViziVoir
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: I am a Christian, This is Why by Kinite A. McCrae

Post by ViziVoir » 12 Nov 2018, 19:27

Honestly, I feel like everyone is technically qualified to write a book like this. Aren't we all humans who've lived our lives, and don't we have at least some idea of what's worked for us in the past? The thing that irks me about this book is how the author seems to believe his opinions are automatically correct just because they've held true for him in the past. If this book was presented as a guide, rather than an ultimatum, I might be more receptive to it.

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The sword swallower and the chico kid
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Radiant3 » 13 Nov 2018, 11:31

I think anyone with the right skill set, tools, background knowledge, personal experience, and academic qualifications can write a self-help book. But its really up to the reader to gain something valuable from information presented in any self-help book.

piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart » 13 Nov 2018, 13:29

I do not think is about thinking your life or choices are better than others, so the advice you are giving is the best. On the contrary, I think is about life experience. If I start a business, but fail because of the poor decisions I made, I want to help others succeed, so I'm going to tell my story. The same happens if I made it out of a bad relationship, overcoming a substance abuse, changing careers, everything.
I think anyone is qualified to give advice, as long as they do it because they want to help. There are, of course, professionals that spend their life giving advice, and finding the way to give advice, but I'm for sure, not going to approach them, while a book, that is possible I will read it.

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Sunday diamond » 13 Nov 2018, 16:21

Yes, its normal to be confident in dispensing advice to others; though no one is perfect, and life is full of challenges on the different levels. So, someone that has passed one challenge and succeed or he's not washed off by that challenge, will surely develop more confident and as such to give advice.

David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas » 13 Nov 2018, 21:16

There are those who get life fulfilment from advising and motivating others. They invest a lot of capital and time to understand the human behaviours and character. These persons are best placed to advise others.

David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas » 13 Nov 2018, 21:16

There are those who get life fulfilment from advising and motivating others. They invest a lot of capital and time to understand the human behaviours and character. These persons are best placed to advise others.

abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

Post by abbiejoice » 14 Nov 2018, 01:16

Giving an advice doesn't necessarily mean one feels he or he is already better. Sometimes, we just learn an important lesson that we want to share to others so they don't have to make the same mistakes we did or so that they can find a better way.

TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: The Vision of Jenny Merkus by Hadassa Mor

Post by TJanowski23 » 14 Nov 2018, 07:47

I have been wondering about this topic myself. If it was me writing this book I personally would want the credentials to back up my personal testimony. If I truly wanted to help people I would put in the time to get the education to make me more credible. Otherwise, the book seems more like a memoir that someone may learn a thing or two from.

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 14 Nov 2018, 09:26

cpru68 wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 15:51
I look at this this way: if I find a good deal on a pair of shoes on sale, would I not tell my friends or family especially if I know they are out looking for what I just purchased? I think it’s safe to say that most humans make excuses for themselves, do the same things over and over with no success and find themselves often times not happy. Much like my shoe analogy, when a person finds success through certain means, he or she generally want others to know so they can experience changes and happiness too. Does it qualify people who don’t have a degree to back them up? I think so. I have a degree behind my name, but life has taught me more than school ever could. If I learn something from an author, that is how he or she is qualified in my book.
You make very good points. I have also learned much more from life than from school. Some of the wisest people I know did not even finish school!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 14 Nov 2018, 09:34

piecesfallapart wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 13:29
I do not think is about thinking your life or choices are better than others, so the advice you are giving is the best. On the contrary, I think is about life experience. If I start a business, but fail because of the poor decisions I made, I want to help others succeed, so I'm going to tell my story. The same happens if I made it out of a bad relationship, overcoming a substance abuse, changing careers, everything.
I think anyone is qualified to give advice, as long as they do it because they want to help. There are, of course, professionals that spend their life giving advice, and finding the way to give advice, but I'm for sure, not going to approach them, while a book, that is possible I will read it.
I couldn't have put it any better. To add on to what you've said, the author sounds genuine and shares a lot of personal experiences in an attempt to help those who might find them in similar situations. No piece of advice is perfect and sufficient for every problem or for everyone, but any little bit surely helps!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Tiny_Turtle
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Rowan Wood Legends
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 14 Nov 2018, 11:29

Sometimes an author creates self-help books because someone else suggests it after receiving advice that worked. Sometimes a self-help book is written after a person goes through a difficult time, and they hope that by sharing their experiences they can help someone else.

I don't believe that most self-help authors write from an inflated ego. If ego was the motivation, it would be obvious and the book wouldn't do very well.

raqstar1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by raqstar1 » 14 Nov 2018, 12:31

What I like about this book is that he speaks to people like he's talking to a group of buddies. He's not talking like he's a doctor or professional. It reminded me of how I learned what I shouldn't do by watching what my brother did growing up.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom » 15 Nov 2018, 00:07

I would hope most of the time it is out of the goodness of someone's heart of why they write a self-help book. The author is doing well, and want others to do well too. But, hard to say the motivation really. Some may be wanting to make money off the book, some may honestly want to help others, some may want fame.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”