Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Re: Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Post by Natalie Charlene »

This is a really great question, and I don't know that there is a perfect answer for it. People feel compelled to write what they feel, and he felt the need to share his experiences and world view. Like the original post said, he isn't forcing anyone to read it.

I think it really is a case-by-case issue with self-help books. There are a ton of authors out there who have been through a lot of difficult times and have come out ahead, and they want to share what they know with others. There are some, though, who are in it for the money. Personally, I tend to avoid self-help books, but that is just because I am terrible at taking advice!
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

Manali_DC wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 03:20 I really like the topic you have thrown up for discussion because this is exactly what I have wondered every time I see a book of this genre. What makes someone think that their life is so perfect that they can tell others how to live theirs. And how is it that they are so confident about what they need to do in a given situation when most of us are assailed by doubts and uncertainties.
To be fair I think that people who write these have had experiences which have made them wiser or maybe they have put in a great deal of study into human behavior and they think that their experiences can actually help guide a few people in similar dilemmas.
I also had similar feelings about this book. At the end of the day, what worked for him might not actually work for anyone else. In my opinion, the purpose of books such as these should be to inspire, by showing how one MIGHT achieve success. I found this to be one of the biggest weaknesses of this book: it did not accept that there might be other ways to achieve the same level of success and satisfaction with life. I did not inherently dislike the book, but I felt that a level of personal connection was missing from it.
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

I can absolutely understand where this question comes from. I guess it comes down to the business end, yeah? The writer clearly has a body of life experience, and whether they know how many people will listen, they have an intent to share and its up to the consumer to decide if its worth it. Some writers are just gifted with endless decrees of wisdom based on their insight, and a frightful few ever get to be recognized for it.

But the question brings up an interesting idea of credibility. Is a fiction writer more qualified than another fiction writer because they got a degree in "Being as Un-grounded in Reality as Possible?" That's an exaggeration, but I do find it interesting, as a book reader, to see how books and authors are viewed from the outside. A woman in Cold Lake, AB named Irene Cabay once wrote a book that I picked up, and it was an unapologetic compendium of Wisdoms and Affirmations (The title of the book, in fact). It's really under the control of the readers whether these genres have significance, or if they are a spin-off of the novelists in a way. Interesting, all the same :)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

In my opinion, some of the best advice comes from people who have experienced what you are going through. And their experiences can maybe help you through your own.
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

Any person is qualified to give such an advise. A friendl could advise a friend and siblings could advise one another. Its about living the correct wat.You cannot always be an offender an expect to be at the front in delivering motivations.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I understand questioning an author's creds for writing a self-help book. I think, in the case of Mr. Wdowiak, he found a no-nonsense way of navigating challenges, and it worked for him. It is our job as readers to decide if the advice is sound or not. Presentation is half the battle with book writing. This author did a pretty good job of presenting the information in a format that is useful and accessible. I don't agree with the author in all cases, and I think he misses the boat on discounting thoughtfulness, but he wrote a decent book about self-responsibility.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Good news is something we naturally want to share. I think this author has shared life experiences that were difficult. His life could have been a disaster. He found a way to overcome his difficulties and succeed. It seems like he wants to share, with as many as people as possible, what worked for him. His advice helped him and can be of use to others. He offers it to all. That is admirable and brave.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I’ve heard many times that it’s easiest to write what you know. By writing about their past experiences and dispensing advice that has helped them to improve their own lives, I believe many of these authors are looking to help others to avoid making the same mistakes they have made in the past.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I think in a way you have missed the point. The author's perfection isn't what inspired the writing of this book. It has more to do with an innate need for a human being to express his or herself and in so doing, pass along a unique message that people with the same mindset can relate to and learn from.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think once someone has struggled with something and overcome it, they want to help someone who is struggling with something similar. If you are facing an obstacle and are unable to get past it, it’s helpful to hear from someone who faced something similar and was successful in getting past it. I don’t think the author was saying his life is perfect. I think he is saying this is how I changed my life or way of thinking for the better, maybe it could help someone else.
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

I think people who have experienced things like this just like to share their story and give us a way to solve our problems in a way they would have if someone had given them the same advice. But at last, it depends on people whether they want their advice or not.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

There are many books like this one out there. I own a few self-help books myself, the main ones being the secret series. They all have that basic theme: overcoming the self-imposed challenges or lack of belief in self.
I doubt that all of them are qualified in the sense of educational background. I believe what makes them qualified to give advice is their experiences. The authors are writing from their perspectives; what went wrong in their lives, what made them realize that it was a never ending downward spiral, and what they did to fix it. Their strategies worked for them and so they wanted to share it with the world so that other people can apply it as they see fit and bring about the desired change.
In the end it comes down to shared experiences. No two journeys are the same.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think that when someone has struggled enough in life and suddenly finds something that helps them get on with life better, they want to then document it and pass it on to the world at large. I think that's quite commendable and it's up to us to decide if we want to follow that piece of advice or not.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

No one is perfect in this world, but some are better than others. They have ventured into something that seems impossible to others. For me, this is the person who should give advice.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

As humans, we always seek to share our experiences with others - we are social animals, after all. I see self-help books like a really good friend trying to give you advice. What qualifies your friends to help you out? Nothing much, just the degree of trust you have in them. It's the same thing with books like these. The only thing that qualifies the author is how much trust the reader puts into what the writer says.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”