Impact of the title

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Darlynn_Tebogo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Impact of the title

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo » 27 Dec 2018, 05:48

The title is quite self explanatory and lets the potential reader know that this is a self help book. Most people argue that a book should never be judged by its cover but if the cover is attractive it makes you want to read it, I think that the same assumption applies for titles. It definitely got a second glance from me even though I don't read a lot of self help books.

Hannahberry
Currently Reading: A Harmless Little Game (Harmless #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahberry » 27 Dec 2018, 18:39

Thokchom Alice wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 21:35
The title is one of the most important parts of a book. It's the first thing that catches a reader.
What did you feel when you read just the title, "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" What was the impact that it left?
I like the title - it's a clever play on words! But I think it would sound better as 'but' rather than 'but's'. I would assume from the title that this is a self-help book about getting your life together - definitely wouldn't associate it with a fiction piece.

Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis » 27 Dec 2018, 20:39

A simple chuckle, at first. I think the simplicity of my reaction was part of the genius of the title. Then from that chuckle, I was gently lead into an inner reflection as to the meaning. Or rather, what that meaning meant specifically to me. Which of course led to my interest in sampling the book.

As a title, it did its job!

Lunastella
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: El baile de las luciérnagas
Bookshelf Size: 652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Lunastella » 27 Dec 2018, 21:17

I love the title. I think it conveys that it's not a typical self-help book, the author isn't going to coddle you and it's a clever wordplay.

Beatus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Beatus » 28 Dec 2018, 02:34

I see some people perceived butt and not but. I perceived as so too at first. And to say the truth that is the deal. I think the outhor is a clever person. The title proves so. I see no reason to be offended.

jefrin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jefrin » 28 Dec 2018, 06:59

Title will make your life changes ,In business files a title can change your career path .
If u posting an article First they view the Title That will make u boosting up your career

Mel-Lan

Post by Mel-Lan » 28 Dec 2018, 08:57

Titles in every sense of the world is an integral and essential part of any written article. Titles are like the frontline of an army in a battlefield. A strong frontline makes a strong core just as a strong title makes a strong body of text.

Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Browlyns » 29 Dec 2018, 12:50

The title took me aback for a moment, using the word 'butt' made it sound strong but again it generates that interest to read the book.

Mariaa_

Post by Mariaa_ » 29 Dec 2018, 13:37

I find that the title is the most important part,as well for the cover because they are the first thing somebody looks at or give attention too before reading the back or the actual book. :!2:

Prince Hexi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Prince Hexi » 30 Dec 2018, 06:10

The impact of the title is to capture the mind and intrest of the readers there by making them want to read more

SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: The Evil Underneath by Jeremy Bennett

Post by SpencerVo » 30 Dec 2018, 09:42

The use of "But's" instead of "Buts" put me off a little bit (I thought maybe the author intentionally did this for attention). Other than that, the title is very witty and straight to the point of the book. The way it is illustrated on the front cover is cute and catchy, too.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Caedere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Caedere » 30 Dec 2018, 14:05

It's a bit too long, for me titles were always the most effective when they didn't contain more than 3 words, but this draws the reader in quite easily. Witty and easy to remember.

Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo » 30 Dec 2018, 16:06

It's catchy and funny, no doubt about it. Those two qualities are probably what make a lot of people but the book. It goes to show just how important titles are.
But why, oh why, is there an apostrophe in "but's"? What a pity to spoil such a great title with such a basic error.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket

00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by 00LynnMarie » 30 Dec 2018, 20:20

The title is attention-grabbing, but it makes me feel like the overall tone of the book might be condescending. Some people do well with a "tough love" approach to self-help, but I am not one of them.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

princessrosemain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princessrosemain.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by princessrosemain » 02 Jan 2019, 07:34

I definitely agree. In fact, a title does tell a lot about a book, therefore it informs the reader whether they would love to read it or not. That's why the title itself definitely has an impact on the book. It catches tge reader's attention.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”