What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by HollandBlue »

Juliar252 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 18:50 Signing my initials forced me to pause and really reflect on what I read. It also encouraged me to consider how I could put the author's ideas into practice in my own life. It is easy to read and absorb information, but thinking about how it can be applied in your life personally requires more thought.
Very good point!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

chelhack wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 22:54 Hopefully, it accomplished that a person is made aware of and fully understands what the information means as it pertains to them. As well to make it on a more personal level for each individual.
Good point-it's true that everyone interprets the book in a different way, and uses the techniques and lessons by the author in their own way.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 06:01 Like most of the other readers, I am currently reading the book on my Kindle. So, you can trust there will be no signing of initials happening. I probably wouldn't have done it even if I bought the paperback though. It feels like a weird thing to do. Plus, I don't like writing in my novels. :lol2:
That makes a lot of sense, come to think of it, I don't like writing in books either.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

stacie k wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 08:07 The signing of initials makes me take pause to reflect on my intent to actually put into practice the suggestions. Without that, it’s easy to breeze through and quickly forget what’s been read.
That's what I thought too. It makes you sit back and think about what you just read.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

serendipity 27 wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 14:59 I think it signified that you were committed to accomplishing some of the goals. It just made it more permanent. It's not something I would do but it may help some people.
You're right, I think it's about committing yourself to implement the suggestions in the book.
(1466-1536)
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

I see that as an action provoking readers to stand up and take the steps towards success. It is more of an oath that readers take to stand true to the book's inspiration.
laurenolgine
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenolgine.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by laurenolgine »

I think it was a way to make the book stand out. It isn't accomplishing anything for me. There are so many chapter were there aren't any true 'tasks' to sign off on.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Signing your initials might have been a good idea if it were a paper book. How do you sign your initials on an Kindle e-book? I believe the author was trying to make us feel responsible for the information we had just gone over in each chapter.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Power Onyango wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 22:26 I see that as an action provoking readers to stand up and take the steps towards success. It is more of an oath that readers take to stand true to the book's inspiration.
Very good point!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

laurenolgine wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:50 I think it was a way to make the book stand out. It isn't accomplishing anything for me. There are so many chapter were there aren't any true 'tasks' to sign off on.
I found the book to be somewhat repetitive too.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

CinWin wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 09:49 Signing your initials might have been a good idea if it were a paper book. How do you sign your initials on an Kindle e-book? I believe the author was trying to make us feel responsible for the information we had just gone over in each chapter.
I just air signed my initials as I read the book. It did give me a feeling of responsibility to complete the recommendations.
(1466-1536)
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I think the initial signing is directly related to the concept of committing to a course of action.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think the author's intention was to create an accountability in the reader. By signing one's initials, one feels at least a bit obligated to follow through.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I think that the author is hoping that readers will make a more serious commitment to themselves if they acknowledge this by initialing. I didn't initial -- I own a Kindle. But, I think people who are wanting to take the steps are going to take them whether they initial, or not. On the flip side, people can initial and forget just as easily. People who want to use the information from this book don't have to initial.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
FionaTZY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FionaTZY »

I think it set the book apart from others and showed that the author really put in thought to the tiniest details and factors that could anchor his ideas to your brain. If I saw it in a bookstore and noticed the initial signing, I would definitely buy it. (If he can notice these small details, his book will definitely not be lacking information or research)

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”