Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
JoLei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolei.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by JoLei »

I agree with Sicily Joy; you should change how you do things to expect different results, however, how is the repetitive action the definition of insanity? Does the author mean that repetition without altered results can drive a person insane? The definition confuses me.
KateM234
Currently Reading: Betrayal in Blue
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katem234.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KateM234 »

I definitely agree with the author on this point! Doing things repeatedly and never being satisfied by the same conclusion is truly insane. Life is about growth and evolution. I am a different person today than I was last year, five years, ten years ago. If I try over and over for a result and get nowhere, part of the evolution of life is making myself learn to be flexible and change the way I'm trying to accomplish the result OR change what is is I want as a result!
Randysgal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randysgal.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Randysgal »

The author's view of insanity is one I can agree with, however, my favorite way to explain it is "the difference between sanity and insanity is in the action or lack thereof". In a sense, both are saying the same thing. If you do not make the changes yet expect the results to be different you are looking at inaction.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I think his definition is flawed. Sometimes doing something consistently until we learn to do it right is what life entails. I think his definition leaves out the part where doing the same thing in the same way and expecting different results is insanity. But just doing the same thing isn't over and over and expecting different results isn't insanity. For example, if you have a dream and you keep failing over but you keep getting up and trying again isn't insanity but failing and trying again in the same way you did it the previous time and expecting different results might be insanity.
Randysgal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randysgal.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Randysgal »

Although I do understand the "try and try again" theory, which is tried-and-true, insanity would be expecting that changing nothing would grant us different results. Even when we try to do it right we will hone our skills and thus change even minute details. For instance, in your definition, Meaow love, if one was to write a book that nobody wanted, the next time, although you may take the same steps to write the book, you would undoubtedly improve your writing skills, thus changing in small ways. Sometimes the changes are small, maybe even minuscule, but changes none the less. If you wrote the same book over again and did the same marketing and publishing and it still didn't sell, and you kept repeating this, that would be insanity.
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get a new result is an insanity" is a saying often quoted. The author appears to agree with this statement. However, insanity is a mental illness that a person cannot tell the difference between reality from fantasy. A derangement of the mind.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I do agree with the author. If you keep failing in life, and can't take a different approach to change things, then that's insanity at its best.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Definitely, I agree with that statement. To change something, on the other hand, is very hard. Very often we want to change many things at once, which is even harder or, maybe, impossible. Changing habits is something we can be proud of these days. Because if we did succeed once, it means that we can change anything.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The best definition I have heard is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". It's amazing how this simple concept appears to elude many people. I can just hear Dr. Phil asking someone on his show "and how is that working for you?". If it isn't working and you want a different result, try something else. :D
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Ghost11111 »

I do agree with the author that repeating the same actions repeatedly yet expecting different results is the definition of insanity. If you drive into a wall and only reverse and drive into the wall a second or third or fourth time, it would be insane to think that would get you a different result. Without making a change to the situation like turning the stearing wheel to go a different direction to avoid the wall, the same outcome will occur without fail.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

It is absolutely true! If an action doesn't result in the desired reaction, try a different action. This book was full of great advice.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

This kind of advice helped me break out of negativity because what felt "safe" and "right" was actually going to lead me off a cliff. I don't know if I would go so far as to say its insane, but this is good advice nonetheless.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I agree with the author's line. But I would not call it insanity. Just a lack of purpose, lack of direction in life. Insanity would be knowing the kind of changes you need to make, having the ability to make those changes, but actively staying inactive.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I totally agree with the author. I mean, what's the point of repeatedly doing something that doesn't yield favourable results? That definitely is the brink of insanity.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

I agree with the author, you can't expect something different and keep doing the same thing, it is insane.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”