Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

Yes, insanity can be defined as doing the same things and expecting different results. Does this change if what you’re doing repeatedly is positive? Like beauty, I think insanity can be in the eye, or mind, of the beholder.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I'm not sure if it is insanity that makes people do this (myself included at times), or stubbornness, or wishful thinking, or no imagination or? Sometimes it takes someone else to point out this to us to help us figure that out. But insanity? Not so sure I would call it insane.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

Sicily Joy wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 02:47 I agree that if something you are doing isn't working or isn't improving the situation, it is time to try new tactics. Yet, I don't think people who keep doing the same things are necessarily insane. Insanity, in my opinion, is when your behaviors are causing devasting results in your life and you felt a lack of control to do otherwise.
I agree with this. I also think that sometimes we might need to try something more than once, in order to be completely sure that it is not the right thing for us. Every situation is different, and maybe something that did not work once could work again later.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I definitely agree with this definition it’s true that you can’t expect a different result by doing the same thing over and over but it’s very difficult to change your mindset I think most people think you just keep trying and eventually it will work out but maybe it’s better to completely change direction and approach an issue in a new way.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Sicily Joy wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 02:47 I agree that if something you are doing isn't working or isn't improving the situation, it is time to try new tactics. Yet, I don't think people who keep doing the same things are necessarily insane. Insanity, in my opinion, is when your behaviors are causing devasting results in your life and you felt a lack of control to do otherwise.
Perfect answer. I completely agree with you. And to add on to your last point, sometimes it boils down to timing and/or context. So, you could be doing the right thing just at the wrong time or in the wrong place. Given the right timing and place, repeating the action might actually lead to better results!
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

It is an often used quote about insanity. People just want the maximum reward for the minimum effort. I liked that Mark Wdowiak talked about people expecting to receive something for nothing. If he would ask a person if they expected to receive something for no reason, the person would say know, but they would act a different way in their actions.
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

I think that quotation has always been used in a broad context. True, constantly doing the same thing can prove consistent positive or negative results. But if every decision were as simple as being the last one at the blackjack table, just giving everything away to keep going, that idea of insanity would have a stronger advisory to it.

Like we are taught in Science class, isolate your variables. ^_^
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I agree wholeheartedly with this.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

The definition is sad but I think the author correctly hit the nail on the head. Such hurting reality is what some people need to get back their life on track.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

I agree with the author, that quote is an example insanity and whetger I will do it?
Nope I'm still at the prime age of my life so it won't make sense for me to do that crazy thing, I'm still full of dynamic energy and so eager to learn and try new things, so I will definitely not do it
charity muthoka
Currently Reading: The Black Market
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by charity muthoka »

From the view of this book is that it is our responsibility to make sure that if we dont get a positive result about something we want to achieve ,then there is need to change our mindset concerning the types of goals that we want to achieve.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

For one thing, realizing that there's a problem in relation to something, especially behavioral patterns, is already a huge step. Takes one right out of the "insane" camp. Some people do the same ridiculous actions without acknowledging the harmful effects of those actions, yet are desirous of change. These are the ones who should lay claim on the "title." Some others understand that certain patterns need to be changed, but because of habits, they end up repeating them every once in a while. I wouldn't describe these ones as insane because I believe that the conscious awareness of their actions over time would eventually prompt gradual changes.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ochiengjr01 »

If things are working in an opposite direction daily as not expected, then the only option is to change the means on to handle them. As for me I also a gree with the author that's a true definition of insanity.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Ever_Reading wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 12:09
Perfect answer. I completely agree with you. And to add on to your last point, sometimes it boils down to timing and/or context. So, you could be doing the right thing just at the wrong time or in the wrong place. Given the right timing and place, repeating the action might actually lead to better results!
I loved your point about timing and other contexts. It is good to remember that even when we want to make changes, even when we are ready for the change not everything is in our control. So, as you said, something we have to try again with the situation is right.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

gfowle wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 11:31
I agree with this. I also think that sometimes we might need to try something more than once, in order to be completely sure that it is not the right thing for us. Every situation is different, and maybe something that did not work once could work again later.
Very true. Sometimes we need to repeat mistakes in order to learn from them or decide just to what is the right path.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”