Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Post by FictionLover »

raqstar1 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 10:36 I really think that this book was more of a reminder for those who have already heard the main points than a true self help. As I read it, there were a few moments of 'Oh yeah' reminders. I don't think action points would have been very helpful because it really isn't a 'how to' book with steps to take. It's more like a metaphorical slap back into reality.
I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. For those who are stuck in their "buts", it should be a self-help book. They are out of touch with reality. As I see it, that is his point.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

The advice presented throughout the book was extremely useful and insightful. Action Steps probably would have enhanced the book but I don't think it detracted from the usefulness of the book.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Radiant3 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 11:38 The advice presented throughout the book was extremely useful and insightful. Action Steps probably would have enhanced the book but I don't think it detracted from the usefulness of the book.
Thanks, great perspective.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I haven't read the book yet. The book is becoming interesting to me though.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

I'm opined the written exercise at the end of each chapter was a booster for memorizing things already learnt in the foregoing topics. I think they were quite useful.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

FictionLover wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 16:27
Radiant3 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 11:38 The advice presented throughout the book was extremely useful and insightful. Action Steps probably would have enhanced the book but I don't think it detracted from the usefulness of the book.
Thanks, great perspective.
Thank you :)
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm glad someone said it! The lack of action steps made the book feel like one long introduction, in my opinion. As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel like I was in a lecture and the professor was reading information from his slides without even looking up. And as a student, that is the worst kind of lecture to have.

But luckily with the book, I could take a break any time I felt my mind drifting away.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

CinWin wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 09:49 Action steps at the end of each chapter are two-fold. Sometimes they pertain to the readers life - other times they are just something I would not do. I made my own action steps for this book. Also, when you take the time to do that yourself, it solidifies the knowledge into your brain and you get more out of the book.
Mmmm, I didn't think of that. I admire your approach but if I am honest, I'm a little too lazy to follow your example. :lol2: Kudos to you :tiphat:
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Ever_Reading wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 10:42 I'm glad someone said it! The lack of action steps made the book feel like one long introduction, in my opinion. As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel like I was in a lecture and the professor was reading information from his slides without even looking up. And as a student, that is the worst kind of lecture to have.

But luckily with the book, I could take a break any time I felt my mind drifting away.
I understand. I posted this topic because while I was reading, I kept expecting some further direction or examples that never came!
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Ever_Reading wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 10:46
CinWin wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 09:49 Action steps at the end of each chapter are two-fold. Sometimes they pertain to the readers life - other times they are just something I would not do. I made my own action steps for this book. Also, when you take the time to do that yourself, it solidifies the knowledge into your brain and you get more out of the book.
Mmmm, I didn't think of that. I admire your approach but if I am honest, I'm a little too lazy to follow your example. :lol2: Kudos to you :tiphat:
I only do that with books that I am really interested in. If I did that with all of them I would read a book every 6 months! :reading-6:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I can see both points of views. At times it would be beneficial to have the steps there, but on the other hand- they can be annoying and skimmed over. But, maybe a compromise, for those that feel they would benefit from them would be at the end of the book? Just a thought.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

This is an interesting book even without exercises. Adding exercise would ruin that interest.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

Yes Yes Yes! I cannot agree with you enough about the need for there to be concrete action steps. We all need the chance to practice and apply things in our lives, as well as to commit to doing certain things, if we are to really apply the principles presented by the author, and that was completely absent from this book!
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

Lack of action steps doesn't necessarily lessen the usefulness of a book. Some recommendations could merely be implied within the philosophy. In a way, a book can be meant to be inspirational and not instructional.
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

I had no problems with the books plan. I believe it was okay.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”