Is this book really offensive?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Re: Is this book really offensive?

Post by kwame1977 »

I think reviewers of this book will be in best position to judge in this case. There's nothing offensive as I read it.
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

It depends on how the readers take the point the author is trying to make. Every reader has its own opinion on how the point is being made. I don't think it has anything offensive, but the author did warn us that some readers might take things offensively from their point of view. So, this is debatable.
Ursadsong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursadsong.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ursadsong »

I don't think this book is offensive in any way. I really liked the straight talking and the author personality. I don't even think that it was a harsh one.
eben1983
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eben1983 »

No the book is not offensive. It is rather life-building book. I like it
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

I did not find this book offensive, and I liked how it was not sugar-coated. The bluntness can push readers farther.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

The book did not offend me at all, but I can see some readers might get offended by his tone. He is quite direct, especially when talking about owning your mistakes and not making excuses. Nowadays, I believe, the victim mentality has become popular. Obviously, the author is against this behavior. An example is when he talks about having a baby and getting married at seventeen. He says it was his fault for letting it happen. The baby was his and his wife's responsibility. Another example is when he says one should not become a victim by getting easily offended. He argues that a secure person would not get easily offended. He also says that when you let another person's opinion offend you, you give your power away.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Vitter Krane »

What I see in the book is constructive provocation. I do not think it was offensive especially when the parts deemed offensive are actually intended to bring out the best from the readers.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

Whether or not the book is offensive depends on the attitude of the reader. For me I think the book was not offensive at all, everything is just stated as it should. No sugar coating.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 14:06 The author mentions that the reader might be offended by some of the points he makes in this book. Did any of his assertions offend you? Did anything particularly stand out as being "not sugar-coated"? Or did you notice some different tones in the book? Give examples.
I think if you choose to read a book like this, you will be ready for some direct talk. In other words, if you are a reader whose feelings might be easily injured, you will probably avoid a book of this type because it is bound to offend.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Lmahle »

The claim that this book was going to be offensive or brutally honest mostly felt like a gimmick.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html

Post by Jacci »

Advise is good for everyone, but not everyone will appreciate it because all of us has a "got-ideas" that will defense your own set of beliefs. If you like, you will surely agree and add your thoughts, but if does not- you likely to have debate.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html

Post by Jacci »

vinkipc wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 09:20 Whether or not the book is offensive depends on the attitude of the reader. For me I think the book was not offensive at all, everything is just stated as it should. No sugar coating.
I agree, it depends on the reader on how he or she handles the idea. All of have have ideas that will either go with the flow or against it.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

I am not a crybaby. It takes a lot for me to get upset over something. I didn't find anything in this book to be offensive. I am horrible at sugar-coating my opnion and I am glad to see an author that isnt afraid to be blunt with their audience.
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 23:48 I did not find any of the content offensive. I love how nothing was sugar-coated it makes the content relatable. One of my favorite examples is where the author says "There is nothing wrong with being selfish and acting on your own best interest"
I agree. Not sure what they considered offensive when they added that line. It made me look out for something crazy, and I found nothing.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I haven't oppurtuned to read this book. Passed

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”