Overall rating and opinion of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts"

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts"

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I don't have an overall rating yet, as I'm only about 30% through the book, so I'll reserve judgement.
So far it seems a bit repetitive, and I agree with some others that the author is talking down to the reader.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

The best thing about this book is that it helped me a lot with my daily life problems. I became stronger as a human being. The worst thing about this book is that it's similar to other self-help books. Though that's completely my opinion.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Kareka88 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 17:37 I didn't care for the author's arrogant attitude. Some of his facts and ideas were good. I read the official review for the book, and I agree with the reviewer that this might be a good book for younger readers. It will help them not to make some of the mistakes the author did. It would allow them to start on a confident and well-informed path.
I'm working my way through this one. I often have trouble reading books like this because of the sometimes arrogant or even blaming tone or attitude. I always find it overshadows any good points or arguments that have been made. I like how you said it might help younger readers avoid the same mistakes, but I wonder if any readers would immediately be off-put by the attitude and dismiss the entire work.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
HappyHatch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happyhatch.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by HappyHatch »

The title of this book is awesome! But seriously, I think this book is very good. I work everyday with troubled youth who need good books like this. There are self help book and there are books that actually teach you to help yourself. That may have sounded confusing, but just trust me that this book will really allow you to help yourself unlike some other self help books out there. Read this book!
psmortimer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmortimer.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by psmortimer »

I just finished reviewing it. I'd say it's okay for newbies but is repetitive and full of cliches. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has done any self-improvement work since it is a collection of things found elsewhere.
Michael Cupid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michael Cupid »

Wel, just like the saying goes, "When you think the world has turned its back on you, look closely, you just might have turned your back on the world. Now it@s important to know and understand that life is not as difficult as we often percieve it to be, so, just keep making your genuine, conscious efforts, believing in yourself and trusting GOD completely, and watch things changing for you, and life more meaningful. Cheers!
solivagantcreates
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by solivagantcreates »

Love this book from the core of my heart! So helpful to increase your confidence. As 'self help is the best' i must recommend it to read it once in your lifetime. And most imp that it is so down to earth that you feel so comfortable with it. Try it. Thank you to the author for gifting us such amazing book. Looking forward for more.💝
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Samy Lax wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:39 The idea behind this book is spectacular. However, I find most points made by the book tp be something I have learnt by myself in life through experiences. So, I didn't find it too personally helpful.
I agree with you. The idea is spectacular but the content between the covers seem like common sense to me. Nothing has been an earth-shattering eye opener for me.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

Alicia09 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:17
Kareka88 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 17:37 I didn't care for the author's arrogant attitude. Some of his facts and ideas were good. I read the official review for the book, and I agree with the reviewer that this might be a good book for younger readers. It will help them not to make some of the mistakes the author did. It would allow them to start on a confident and well-informed path.
Thank you for pointing out some of the draw backs of this book. I also found the authors tone to be quite arrogant at times. I think that if the author had included more examples and stories of times when he made mistakes, I would have forgiven his cocky attitude. Then again, I've heard some people say they like that writing style.
I side on not preferring the style of writing in this book either. The author seems unprofessional and difficult to place much trust in due to the repeated curse words mixed with biblical scripture quotes.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

okachjohn wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 02:25 This book is not interesting to read. It did not inspire me. The language used in the entire book is informal.
There are many errors in the book. Language errors.
Poor paragraphing. The title makes little sense to any serious reader.

But is that really the way to advice his readers?
The formatting of the chapters is not upto to any good standard.
Even if the author was addressing the general audience, the language used makes the authors book sound awkward.

The conclusion is also not interesting to read.
I am relieved to read your opinion! I felt like I was the only one who felt this way!!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

psmortimer wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 23:35 I just finished reviewing it. I'd say it's okay for newbies but is repetitive and full of cliches. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has done any self-improvement work since it is a collection of things found elsewhere.
I agree with you. I wish I would have read these reviews prior to choosing to read this book!
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

melissy370 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 19:16 This book was a mixed bag for me. The author did have some catchy phrases and the parts on responsibility and changing your thinking is true. However, he didn't really give any concrete ways to go about achieving these things. The repetitiveness was off the charts and there errors throughout. Also, as others have noted, he came off as not genuine in caring, but as arrogant. I gave this book 2 out of 4 stars.
I agree with everything you have written. The book was full of clichés, curse words and...biblical scriptures. Odd mix.
Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do not care for this self-help book. I would not recommend it to other readers. The content is unorganized and unprofessional. The book contains both curse words and biblical scriptures. There are many errors and the help part of the book fails to make an appearance.
blackbettie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by blackbettie »

I love this book!!! I recommend it anyone has hit a rough patch in their life and needs a little motivation. You can tell the Author really cares about the reader and every word is meant to help us become a better version of ourselves.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

It's an amazing self-help book that can be read by people who feel lost and unable to accomplish certain things in life.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”