Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Post by LV2R »

I don't see it as someone thinking that they have their life so together that they can now share with others, rather I see it as someone thinking about what has helped them in their lives and now want others to know. They do not force anyone to believe or apply the lessons they have learned but hope that if it helps someone they will be happy about it.
Apr1815
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Apr1815 »

Having read many of these books in the past, my main problem with books like this is that there is no guarantee that anyone writing them is actually qualified to write them. Anyone can write a book which gives advice, but just because they wrote something that sounds good doesn’t mean that it is at all accurate. It is too easy to lie, exaggerate, and even unintentionally misrepresent the truth of your own life. It is even more questionable considering that writing a book like this has financial incentives for the writer. Unfortunately, even when these books are well done and reach the audience they are intended to help, those people rarely benefit from them in practical application.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I always wonder the exact same thing when I see any self-help book. If you have experienced some level of success and think others might benefit from the lessons you've learned, then maybe you're qualified to give some advice. I have never cared for self-help books. I have yet to read one that I didn't find tedious.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

It could be that the person has had such an awful time of their life (like people who have been fighting depression, had a life-threatening illness, or had a family member go missing) and want to share the ways that worked or didn't work for them. For some books it actually increases awareness of the issues (such as mental health or the amount of missing people).
However, I'm sure there are definitely people who write these books purely for monetary gain rather than helping others.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Experience, they say is the best teacher. If you're going through a certain situation, and someone had gone through the exact same thing and got out unscathed, that person I say is in a good position to give out advice. But the final decision lies with you.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

No body's life is perfect and without some kind of ups and downs, but I don't think there is any harm if a person is willing to share the lessons they learnt from their life experiences. I don't think that authors think they are perfect for giving advice but they do have motivation of helping their readers and that encourage them to write these books.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I have a graduate degree in performance psychology, and many of my co-students went on to become life coaches and were very successful at it. That doesn't mean their lives were completely in order because life is partially luck/circumstance. But our courses taught us the theories behind elevating performance and how to apply those theories in different situations. Giving good advice is also about understanding people and being a good, empathetic listener.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

I don't know if anyone is really qualified to give a whole book's worth of advice about this sort of thing. Maybe one specific aspect, or maybe a motivational speech, but a whole book? I'm not enticed to read it.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

Really, I feel there's no harm in giving help to others, and help comes in different forms.
rogerthat
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogerthat.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by rogerthat »

A person qualify to give such advice should be someone with track record of success through experience. The story of the person's life should be an encouragement to readers.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

No one is exactly 'qualified' to dispense advice and this topic actually delivers a potent reminder we were taught from day one - no one is perfect. At the same time, our life experiences, whether seemingly inconsequential or monumental, each teach us something we're all going to interpret uniquely.

Personally, I don't really read self-help books, as most times they sound like the preachings of an all-important type who's apparently discovered the secret to life, but can't deny the fact that they have an inspiring quality, and do, in fact, teach us something new. One can take the advice of a fool, and this advice shouldn't be discarded, as fools bear the brunt of many a mistake, and perhaps have learnt from them.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I agree with your inquiry. While I don't doubt the author's life experiences provided him with invaluable insight into living life successfully, I didn't necessarily feel he presented the best advice for a how-to manual.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

This is exactly my thought whenever I bump into these kind of books but whenever I read one, I always reflect on how I live and sometimes it does help.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I find that most people who write motivational books have had difficult life experiences and wish to share how they were able to survive and sometimes conquer. It does not mean that their lives are perfect. It just means that they are now a little wiser and better prepared for life's challenges.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

In my opinion, everyone has the right to give their opinion, as much as I have the right to say "no" to that opinion. Although when I see a book like that I can't help to think that this is yet one more try to get money from peoples insecurities. On the other hand, if one of a thousand people read this kind of book and change something in their lives - why not?
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”