What did you all thought about the element of dependency and neediness in relationships portrayed in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: What did you all thought about the element of dependency and neediness in relationships portrayed in the book?

Post by abbiejoice »

I haven't been able to think about it like that before. But it is possible that the lack of parental attention may have caused this dependency. In general however, people do need some kind of support from their loved ones. We all depend on each other.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

In addition to lacking parental love, care, and attention, they didn't have good role models to learn about healthy relationships. So, this must have negatively affected their own relationships.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Yes, I think it demonstrated the clear impact that relationships with parents and upbringing can have on future relationships!
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I would say that their relationship problems were definitely related to Hiram's parenting. We are all responsible for ourselves, but until we learn what is appropriate and good, we only know what we have learned. It must have been confusing for all his children to have a parent who was angry, distant, selfish, and unloving at times. How can a child know how to love others when they didn't feel loved or see it in their parents marriage? How can an adult grow to be strong and independent when they have other people solve their problems?
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I agree so much to this trend. This a call to parents to know how much their mu=misunderstandings and negligence impact so much to the life of parents. Just imagine the disgusting relation going on between Tasha and Billie right inside their home. Parents should do more.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”