Do You Think We Didn't Get Enough Information About McDowell's Prison Escape?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Re: Do You Think We Didn't Get Enough Information About McDowell's Prison Escape?

Post by Aniza Butt »

The author skipped a very important part of the story. Escaping from prison isn't that easy and author made no mention how did Hiram got to escape.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Yes, we definitely didn't get enough information on that. When I read the book and thought about what I liked least about it, this immediately came to my mind. Author gave highly detailed descriptions in other instances while at the place where he should be more descriptive than the usual, he closed up. Escaping from the prison seemed like a turning point of Hiram's life. So, I expected more than that from it.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I think the escape was very unrealistic. The author may have realized this and glossed over the details on purpose.
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I wished the author had provided more details on McDowell's prison escape because I don't see what skills McDowell had that would have allowed him to escape so easily. His outdoor skills were obviously vital to his survival, but how does a surgeon know how to escape a prison?
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I would have preferred if the author provided details regarding that scene. I understand how those details seemed insignificant at the time of writing, but it could answer a few questions.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I agree! I would have liked to know more about the escape itself. He would have been a high security prisoner because of the reason why he was in prison so it would have been exceptionally difficult for him to escape. I'd have liked to know how
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think the story was vague on his escape on purpose. He was a very driven and intelligent man. Others didn't know how he did it and he was busy trying to survive back in the world. It didn't take away from the story for me not knowing. I bet he wrote all about it in his memoir though. I think the book did cover how he got money though. He most likely had a stash of cash somewhere that he could grab quickly upon his escape. Other than that, he lived off the land, worked and played music for his needs and was helped by generous strangers.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Yeah I very much agree with you. The author could have said a bit more on Hiram's life in prison and his escape. This would have added a bit more action to the story.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”