Which character did you like most in "McDowell" aside from Hiram McDowell himself?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
KnightReader
Currently Reading: A Knight to Remember
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knightreader.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Which character did you like most in "McDowell" aside from Hiram McDowell himself?

Post by KnightReader »

For me, I think I like Sophie. We both share a liking to photography, and despite problems, I admire that she's sort of a dreamer.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I absolutely love Sophie despite her weaknesses the author builds her from being timid and weak to a strong and amazing lady.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

I love Sophie the most. She's such a delicate character.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

I liked Sophie the most. Her inner strength grew as the story developed. I think she had a lot of the positive qualities of Hiram.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think Sophie is the only character with no guile or malice in her. I am glad to see her find happiness in the end.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Maria, one of Hiram's women. I liked her boldness and that she knew her worth and want.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sophie. She's such a great person, it's hard to believe she's a daughter of McDowell. I didn't like the way she allowed June to treat her like a doormat. But that only proved she's not perfect and made her character more realistic. I like how she became a confident young woman by the end of the book.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

The bookshop lady. Though not sure why you choose to make a disclaimer for McDowell as he was decidedly (and successfully) written to be an unlikable character.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

Sophie
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I like Sophie. Though She is a bit timid, she takes proper decisions. She is humanitarian. She is sympathetic, caring, and friendly. The way she tries to protect her father from being caught by the Police is admirable. She never discloses information to Paige about her father, even though she is her roommate. The way she comforts dying Jeremy is worthwhile. All the while, she was guiding her brother Billy. The fact that makes me happy is that she becomes bold with her progressing age.
somersas13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somersas13.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by somersas13 »

I really liked the minor female characters in the book: Hulga, Maude, and Winona. I thought they were the strongest characters in the book because they were the biggest influences on McDowell in the second part of the book and helped guide him and shape him for the better. While I enjoyed Sophie's character, she was so dependent on her father in so many ways that it wasn't until the end of the book when her father is gone that she starts to come into her own and find her strength. McDowell loved his children, but they felt all extensions of himself in many ways, whereas these minor characters exerted the most influence on him and were wholly independent of his influence. Even Hulga, who seems desperate, is able to teach him to love differently and value women in a way he hadn't previously before.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I think Sophie was created with the intention of being a bit of a shining light in the novel, and she definitely is. But I also loved some of the more minor characters that Hiram meets along the way. Maude, Winona and Hulga are three strong women who guide him to a path of goodness. I thought some of the scenes with them were the best in the novel.

I also felt that Paige was an interesting character. She just seemed so lonely. She cared for Sophie and had a great moral compass throughout.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

somersas13 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:30 I really liked the minor female characters in the book: Hulga, Maude, and Winona. I thought they were the strongest characters in the book because they were the biggest influences on McDowell in the second part of the book and helped guide him and shape him for the better. While I enjoyed Sophie's character, she was so dependent on her father in so many ways that it wasn't until the end of the book when her father is gone that she starts to come into her own and find her strength. McDowell loved his children, but they felt all extensions of himself in many ways, whereas these minor characters exerted the most influence on him and were wholly independent of his influence. Even Hulga, who seems desperate, is able to teach him to love differently and value women in a way he hadn't previously before.
I couldn't agree more!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I also liked Sophie the best. She was a young woman struggling to make her own way in life. I could sympathize with that. I also imagine that she struggled with her feelings for her father. She obviously loved him, but I think she realized that he was a deeply flawed person who had caused great harm to herself and her family.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Before reading the comments here, I have thought about it and decided that I liked Sophie best too. Besides, she seems to be the only female character better developed than all the rest. I also liked Maud and Winona, but I would have expected the author to develop them more and to get them more involved in the story.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”