McDowell and his different sides.

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Re: McDowell and his different sides.

Post by Moray_001 »

McDowell certainly had different sides to his personality. I think two sides were dominant, Doctor and Mountain Climber. These two aspects of his character really came in handy when he sort of went on exile. His survival skills helped him adapt and remain agile on the run and his medical skills helped him keep himself healthy and even save the life of others.
ALI HUSSNAIN BHATTI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALI HUSSNAIN BHATTI »

I think his role as a father is prominant in th story.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I believe Hiram McDowell would consider his roles as a husband, lover, and father to be the least important roles in his life. I do believe he found his role as a doctor as well as his philanthropy work to be of utmost importance simply because it made him important to others. Additionally, the philanthropy work allowed him to do what he loved most: hike mountains overseas.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

There were several roles which were dominant throughout the book. His role as a father was the one constant role. He was a successful surgeon and political figure in the early parts of the book. His roles of musician, and writer were mostly played on the final part of the book. All these were important in creating the character of Hiram.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I'm seeing quite a few comments saying that his role as a father seemed most important to him, which seems surprising to me. I felt that his role as a surgeon and his role as an important member of society seemed more important to him. He wasn't a brilliant father at the beginning of the book but did improve slightly at the end
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I would say he was mostly a father. He continued to be a part of his kids lives, even when he was running from the law. He wasn't the best father but was there for them. Much of what he did in the story was to help his kids. Other than that, I would say being a doctor and climber shaped who he was. He wanted to be the best. These areas gave him an outlet to succeed.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Of all Hiram was I think his role as a father dominated this book the most. Although in part one it seemed as though he lacked the empathy to make a good father.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”