McDowell and his different sides.

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

McDowell and his different sides.

Post by Onyinye Excel »

In the book, McDowell is portrayed as a father, husband, lover, doctor, philanthropist, mountain climber, musician, trekker, friend, writer,political figure etc.Which of these roles were dominant, and how did they all contribute to McDowell's character development in the story?
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

If there was any dominant side of him, I think it was that of being a father. It seemed to overshadow his other sides and led to his final undoing. He was first of all a father before a surgeon in my own thinking. It was an aspect of him that underwent several changes in the story.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Several of his roles were dominant throughout the book, his role as father was evident in part one and two, he remains very much a major support for his son and daughter and is at his daughter's side at her time of the greatest need when her lesbian lover abandons her. His role as a desirable friend and lover is also etched throughout the book.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think his roles of father and successful surgeon were the most important to him.
Even though it was hidden in the beginning of the book, he had to have a compassionate side to be a successful doctor.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

I think different circumstances brought out different aspects of his personality. However, throughout the story, his role as a father was always evident.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

McDowell's role as a philanthropist was the most prominent, specially that part when McDowell was trying to become a president of the medical college by any true or false way, was the most favorite.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

In the novel, McDowell has been portrayed as a multidimensional character. I liked him as a father, doctor, musician, mountain climber, and philanthropist. As a father, he guided and helped his daughter Sophie and son Billy. He tried to contact his children even when he was a fugitive. He comforted and financed his daughter when she was in trouble. I guess this is the prominent role he played in life.

As a surgeon, he served the society for many years. He was an honest doctor. He built a hospital in Nepal for the poor people.

While roaming from place to place like a fugitive, he used his musical talent and earned his living. People recognized his musical talent and gathered in plenty for his music show.

He climbed most of the mountain peaks on the Himalayas. Plus, he climbed many mountains in the United States. It was his favorite hobby.

He was a philanthropist. He built a hospital in Nepal for the poor people. He was interested to become the president of The College of Surgeons. He wanted to serve society as a doctor.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Interesting question! My idea is that all the roles he performs in the novel are actually subordinate to his main characteristic, his egocentrism. He can never be truly a father or a surgeon or a musician if he lacks humanity and empathy.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

The dominant side of him was that of being a father. It was a major factor in his prison conviction and afterwards.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

MCDowell is a surgeon who is also involved in philanthropy. He is fond of trekking. These are few of the aspects that help to develop the character. But most importantly it is about his journey of life where he is involved in several other things also on the way and is able to understand life more closely.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Beate Levai
Favorite Book: Final Notice
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beate-levai.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beate Levai »

cristinaro wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 10:27 Interesting question! My idea is that all the roles he performs in the novel are actually subordinate to his main characteristic, his egocentrism. He can never be truly a father or a surgeon or a musician if he lacks humanity and empathy.
I think he could not be a true father or a professional as long as he lacked empathy and kindness. He became a true philanthropist by the end of his run. At the moment when he saved Kitsy's life, he could not care less about who he was or should be. His egocentrism vanished.
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lara_haelterman »

For me, his dominant side is definitely his role as a father. Throughout the story, one thing that never fades is his relationship with his kids. He keeps in touch with them and finds it important to make sure that they live a good life. He helps them with the financial side of things but also supports them emotionally.

His music side was also quite important. When he was living on the streets, it was his only talent with which he could try and make some money. He met a lot of people with his music.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I felt like his role as father was one of the most important to him. He helped his children as much as he could personally and in their careers. He may not have been the best father but it seemed like it was important to him
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

He did loved his children very much, so I would say his role as a father was very dominant, but he ramained too naive to fully realise it. His blind ambition was what drove his life to where it reached.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

The two things he considered important ( after his own self, his success and power) were his children and hiking.
as only these two things were with him till the very end.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”