Which female characters helped transform his character positively or negatively?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Which female characters helped transform his character positively or negatively?

Post by Shalu1707 »

The women in his life before he went to jail were not very impactful on him but I think the women he met on the run did helped his character in posistive transformation. Maud was the first woman to make him realise that something was wrong in his ways of earlier life and really made him think about his mistakes.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Ctcntry4 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:52 I think Maud for sure helped him to correct his attitude towards others. I also think that Sophie helped but not as much. I’m quite sad that Ann didn’t really seem to influence his change much.
I agree - I thought Ann was a very interesting character in the book and I would have liked to have seen more about her
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I believe most of the women Hiram met while living the fugitive lifestyle directly influenced him in his positive transformation near the end of his life. I am not sure I would place the negative issues of Hiram prior to fleeing prison on any of the women in his life in part one of the book. I believe his behaviors were self-inflicted during those times. The only exception I may make would come from more information in the beginning of the book about his mother and his upbringing throughout childhood.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Hannahberry »

Radiant3 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 17:01 Maud, Selena, Hulga and Winona helped to positively transform Hiram's personality. They gradually helped the kinder side of Hiram unfold and become a greater part of his personality. I don't think the women in the earlier part of his life influenced him negatively. It was more about who he was at that time, before his life took a turn for the worse.
I completely agree but the only other woman I'd add is Sophie because I think she also contributed to him becoming a better person.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

Hannahberry wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 13:06
Radiant3 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 17:01 Maud, Selena, Hulga and Winona helped to positively transform Hiram's personality. They gradually helped the kinder side of Hiram unfold and become a greater part of his personality. I don't think the women in the earlier part of his life influenced him negatively. It was more about who he was at that time, before his life took a turn for the worse.
I completely agree but the only other woman I'd add is Sophie because I think she also contributed to him becoming a better person.
Yes, you're right, she did play an important role in him becoming a better person.
dwightyb7
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwightyb7.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dwightyb7 »

I believe his daughter Sophie, loved him unconditionally, even when Hiram commits the crime that lands him in prison. She supports him and continues her secret communication with him throughout the story. I also believe that Maud, the smalltown librarian helped Hiram by not asking questions and being supportive of his research, writing and his life in hiding. The last woman I believe positively affected Hiram was Wynonna, the owner of a rundown trailer park, where Hiram lived. He took an instant liking and trust for Wynonna. She allowed him to come and go without asking only a few questions, yet Hiram opened up to her as much as he had with any other woman in his life. She attempts to warn him of his upcoming fate, but arrives too late and only in time to see that Hiram's journey had ended.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Meeting Maud was the best thing that happened to Hiram. Even though several other female characters who are introduced after her had a positive effect on him, she was the initiative to his changes. But I don't think you can blame anyone else for ones faults. But to be good or bad, the person himself gas to take actions.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Maude changed him the most, but to a lesser extent, even Salena had an impact on him while he was there. I don't know if she had an effect on him or he had one on her for Hulga. I do not think Paige helped change him much or even Sophie or Anne. Definitely, Maude changed him the most, then he started to self reflect and become a better person. I think :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Maud the most definitely. It was only when she was introduced that he seemed to recognise that he wasn't the perfect person he seemed to think he was. I also think that when he reflected on his relationship with his daughter he gradually became to value it more and become a (very slightly) better father
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I would say Carole was probably the most consistent negative female character for him. As his wife, she could have helped him grow, but was too worried about status and money. I would say she accentuated his bad behavior because she was just as selfish. I think Maud was the biggest positive influence on Hiram. She didn't shy away from hurting his feelings or fight him directly. She allowed him to discover things about himself by presenting him with hard truths. Then she just showed him a friendship kind of love that he had never known before. Others such as Hulga and Winona were big positive influences on him as well. They showed him kindness, love and trust.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think Maud played a huge role in transforming Hiram to a better person.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”