Which female characters helped transform his character positively or negatively?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Which female characters helped transform his character positively or negatively?

Post by Shalu1707 » 10 Dec 2018, 11:07

The women in his life before he went to jail were not very impactful on him but I think the women he met on the run did helped his character in posistive transformation. Maud was the first woman to make him realise that something was wrong in his ways of earlier life and really made him think about his mistakes.

Theresam
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theresam » 17 Dec 2018, 12:44

Ctcntry4 wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 21:52
I think Maud for sure helped him to correct his attitude towards others. I also think that Sophie helped but not as much. I’m quite sad that Ann didn’t really seem to influence his change much.
I agree - I thought Ann was a very interesting character in the book and I would have liked to have seen more about her

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html

Post by Jessacardinal » 07 Jan 2019, 18:48

I believe most of the women Hiram met while living the fugitive lifestyle directly influenced him in his positive transformation near the end of his life. I am not sure I would place the negative issues of Hiram prior to fleeing prison on any of the women in his life in part one of the book. I believe his behaviors were self-inflicted during those times. The only exception I may make would come from more information in the beginning of the book about his mother and his upbringing throughout childhood.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Hannahberry
Currently Reading: A Harmless Little Game (Harmless #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html

Post by Hannahberry » 09 Jan 2019, 13:06

Radiant3 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 17:01
Maud, Selena, Hulga and Winona helped to positively transform Hiram's personality. They gradually helped the kinder side of Hiram unfold and become a greater part of his personality. I don't think the women in the earlier part of his life influenced him negatively. It was more about who he was at that time, before his life took a turn for the worse.
I completely agree but the only other woman I'd add is Sophie because I think she also contributed to him becoming a better person.

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The sword swallower and the chico kid
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Radiant3 » 13 Jan 2019, 17:15

Hannahberry wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 13:06
Radiant3 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 17:01
Maud, Selena, Hulga and Winona helped to positively transform Hiram's personality. They gradually helped the kinder side of Hiram unfold and become a greater part of his personality. I don't think the women in the earlier part of his life influenced him negatively. It was more about who he was at that time, before his life took a turn for the worse.
I completely agree but the only other woman I'd add is Sophie because I think she also contributed to him becoming a better person.
Yes, you're right, she did play an important role in him becoming a better person.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”