Did you have trouble following the timeline?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Did you have trouble following the timeline?

Post by a9436 »

I think McDowell is the first book for which I have managed to completely lose track of its timeframe. Take Billy and Tasha - their pregnancy is discovered, and then we hear that the child is born and Billy has become estranged, yet from the other plot points I had no idea that so much time had passed between these two events. I also have no concept of how long Hiram spent with Maud and her family, although I admit I may have missed this.

Did you also lose track of the progression of time? If so, did it have have much influence of your opinion of the writing or plot? I felt surprised at times by how many months had passed, but I would not say that it spoiled my enjoyment of the book.
SienaStein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sienastein.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by SienaStein »

Oh my gosh... Yes! Even on page 1 it says Hiram's 2nd wife died in summer of 1999 and he married Carole 2 years later. The next heading is 1999 but he is already married to Carole for some time. I had to read it a few times and came to the conclusion it's an error.
I also find throughout the book that gaps in time aren't indicated. For example, Carole is waiting for him to get off a plane so she can talk to him about Tasha and Billie. We're reading about that, then in the next line they're at dinner and eating. There wasn't even a line break to let us know time will be skipped. I think this is my least favourite thing about the book to be honest.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

This was an issue. Although it really doesn't distort the the plot, it did make me lose a bit interest. One minute was lonely and was saved by a new best friend. The next minute we find she had a lover who seemed to have existed without our prior notice. It's just tiring
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Yes, the author failed to mention the timeframe im the book. It was difficult to find out how much time has passed between the scenarios.
---
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I did not have any trouble following the timeline. The flow of the story was smooth enough to make it an interesting and easy-to-read novel.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

While I agree completely with all these comments about the unclear timeline, I think the reason why the Author gets away with it, is that he drives the story forward at such a pace, the timings suddenly become secondary. Perhaps inserting dates or months at the start of each sub-heading could avoid much confusion. Certain obvious discrepancies like the 1999 date should be cleared up because that is an obvious error. I must say, none of this affected my enjoyment of this novel in any way.
Ctcntry4
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctcntry4.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Ctcntry4 »

I had an incredibly hard time following the time frame and that is one of the biggest negatives of this book in my opinion. I wish the author would have kept going with the year at the beginning of each chapter and maybe even just a month or season.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

While the book sounds interesting and thrilling, the confusing time lines might make it hard to read. They might also slow the book down.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Very true. Although the inconsistency in the timeline doesn't detract from the flow of the book
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I would lose track of time but found the story would then mention a detail and bring it back. I think there were a few errors from time to time but they were quickly bulldozed over. The book does require close reading if one is to keep up.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

SienaStein wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 14:31 Oh my gosh... Yes! Even on page 1 it says Hiram's 2nd wife died in summer of 1999 and he married Carole 2 years later. The next heading is 1999 but he is already married to Carole for some time. I had to read it a few times and came to the conclusion it's an error.
I also find throughout the book that gaps in time aren't indicated. For example, Carole is waiting for him to get off a plane so she can talk to him about Tasha and Billie. We're reading about that, then in the next line they're at dinner and eating. There wasn't even a line break to let us know time will be skipped. I think this is my least favourite thing about the book to be honest.
I thought I was the only one who started off confused, lol. Rereading things a couple of times helped me have a better understanding. :D
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

Yes, it was difficult
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

This was one of the biggest problems that I had with this book, as the various plot lines were not linked together very well. For me, this was a huge distraction, because the various plots are somewhat crucial to being able to understand the progression of McDowell's change.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Very true. The timeline was all over the place. However, the tone and pace of the book kept my interest alive right till the end.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Yes, catching up with the timeline was a bit difficult. But whenever I read the story from different perspectives of different characters, I understood whether it was linear or a considerable time had passed.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”