Part 1 or Part 2 was the real development?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Mdindo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdindo.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Re: Part 1 or Part 2 was the real development?

Post by Mdindo »

I agree- his relationship with Maud and her family show this transition especially in chapter 45 when he describes Selena's musical serenade. While in the moment of her performance, he actually took the time to listen, admire, and be moved by her which is something he would not have done in part 1. He wouldn't even let his son Billie jam with the guys in the bar for fear of having the spotlight on someone other than himself.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I think there should have been a third part between 'Part 1' and 'Part 2.' The transformation of the main character is the main driving point of the book...and it happens mostly "off page" during a time skip.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

There was more development in part two. I felt like part one was more about setting the sense and showing how awful he was at the beginning
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think it depends on how you look at it. If you look at it like he was developing in his career and life goals and he fell from his status in the second half, the author is right. However, I agree that looking at it from a moral standpoint, he was a bit on the declining side of a human and then developed in part two.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I could connect deeply to Hiram's character in part two of this book. Hence to me, that was the section of this book were his character was developed.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”