McDowell had time to run. Why didn't he?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Hamza Rana
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: McDowell had time to run. Why didn't he?

Post by Hamza Rana »

I don't think that McDowell knew the full risks of staying where he was. His completion of his memoir might have been one of the reasons he was reluctant to run but I think it was his love for winona and concern for Kitsy's well being that made him hang around.He also might have been tired of running.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading: Love Is
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Radiant3 »

I think he was tired of running. He may also have felt a sense of responsibility towards Kitsy and he cared for Winona.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

McDowell probably tired of running, but I also don't think he realized the full risk he was taking by staying.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I don't know if he had time to run. I think he was doing what he normally did at all the other locations he left; he was collecting his belongings and tying up loose ends before moving on. He would have needed to return to gather his memoir. He also had a habit of letting people know he left before he took off. I think it was to make sure he did not seem suspicious. There was no way he could have know Kitsy would have seen a picture of him in the hospital, it was just bad luck. Hiram was just following his normal patterns of his new nomadic life.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

True. Hiram had enough time to run away from his place. But, he didn't run too far. He wanted to live in disguise. Even while he ran from one place to another, he chose only such places where he could hide fast. He disguised himself by wearing a mustache, cap, and soiled clothes. He started earning money in public places through his musical talent. I think he believed police won't recognize him due to his new appearance. The other thing that must have restricted Hiram's running could be his love for his children. He wanted to contact his children often when he was in disguise. He was worried about the phone connectivity too. Hence, he didn't flee to a remote place.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

First I think the author went to the only logical ending of the story.
Second, it was somewhat implied that McDowell was in love so perhaps he chooses to risk it. alternatively, it might semi-make sense if the old lady recovered and ratted him out so the police was waiting for him when he went back for his notes (the only thing he probably would have cared enough to go back for) Though to be honest, I thought it a bit of a week point of the story as well.
somersas13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somersas13.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by somersas13 »

I think this is a juxtaposition of the prologue. In the prologue, he leaves Woolf on the mountain because he's low on oxygen and he would've been putting his life at risk by staying to help his friend. At this point in his life, his own survival and his own self always comes first, which is why he always survives these hikes and is successful in his career, has wealth, etc, but his relationships suffer. In the second half of the book he changes and begins to value the people in his life, above himself. He learns to give without thinking about himself. He is fulfilled in a way that he couldn't attain when he was wealthy, but ultimately sacrifices himself to do so.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I think he just didn't knew the extend and dangers of staying where he was, he truly believe that he had covered his tracks and maybe in a way he just didn't want to run anymore and convinced himself that he was safe.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Loveli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveli.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Loveli »

I agree he might have been tired of running. I don't think he wanted to live on the run forever. Perhaps he did not expect to be killed, but he knew he could not hide forever.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm guessing it's because he was tired of a life of running and he really liked where he was at that point.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think it just didn't occur to him (as it didn't occur to me) that Kitsy would report him to the authorities considering he had saved her life.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
jibby9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibby9.html

Post by jibby9 »

I think his character had an epiphany, realized or not, that he liked to be needed and of use. I felt like McDowell enjoyed the simplicity of his new friendships with the strangers he met along the way and came to deeply appreciate the bond of trust. I believe he miscalculated how safe he would be but also the level of faith Kitsy had in him.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

If I recall correctly, Kitsy was unconscious until much later when she was already out of danger. She didn't know McDowell saved her. So she had no qualms in reporting him.

I think saving Kitsy is a counterpoint to Jeremy's death. Hiram's saving her is his symbolic atonement for killing his grandson. Now, Hiram is truly free. The sheriff's lust for blood further emphasizes Hiram's cleansing and redemption. Well, at least that's my romantic view of the tragic ending.
cecaji06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cecaji06 »

I think McDowell had decided to surrender. He had no strength left,and so he felt he had already used his last breathe. phew!
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html

Post by ochiengjr01 »

Maybe just because of his arrogance and ignorance he saw escaping couldn't rhyme with his title as fur as he had reached.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”