McDowell had time to run. Why didn't he?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Re: McDowell had time to run. Why didn't he?

Post by Hannahberry »

fernsmom wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 09:02 I agree that he was more than likely tired of running. But, I don't think he was ready to die. He struggled for food, and basically everything he used to have in abundance in that last half of the book, but he seemed to actually enjoy life more. He made friends, and seemed to appreciate the small things in life. If he was ready to die I don't think he would have tried so hard to hide, including his new identity.
This is a really interesting point. I agree that he was probably tired from running & hiding. But I doubt very much he was expecting to be shot.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I think he didn't want to run anymore. He knew the risk and he was unarmed. I think he was done with his life and it was a kind of suicide.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

:eusa-think: That's a very good point. I mean, he's a smart guy. Like you said, he knew he had time... But maybe he was tired of running. The McDowell we knew at that point seemed to want to connect with people more than take care of himself.

For instance, the arc with Gatemouth Willie Brown is phenomenal. McDowell didn't have to play on the streets every day. He also didn't have to help/have sex with with Winona. He was spending time with these people, and a wanted man at the same time. Seems he made a final choice.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I don't think he'd have given up so easily after everything he did to survive. Maybe he was fedup with the constant running. But I don't think he'd just give himself up because of this.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Bavithra M wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 03:33 May be he got tired of hiding and running.
I agree with this! I think there was just an acceptance of not wanting to live his life on the run and hiding
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think there could have been many reasons. It is most likely to me that he didn't want to run anymore and was finished with his memoir. I felt it was good timing for him to finish his life for the story and it may have just been a convenient way to do it.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I do think he was tired of running. And probably he did not want to go back to prison.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”