Portrayals of Femininity

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Theresam
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Portrayals of Femininity

Post by Theresam » 17 Dec 2018, 12:42

Kendra M Parker wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 15:14
Life In Books wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 01:31
William H. Coles has portrayed feminity in a very positive manner. It didn't seem that he contained any of the female characters as per the limits about females thought traditionally. He described different female characters quite appropriately.
I agree with both opinions. I think the author created non traditional roles for women in the book and I found those characters to be interesting but then toward the end they did just fade away

I think these women were very strong and interesting, but I felt they had a lackluster finish. Sophie follows the guy, Paige fades away in disappointment, Anne gets injured and only becomes a check-in point instead of a living character.

ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ShailaSheshadri » 23 Dec 2018, 04:21

I don't think Cole has restricted any of his female characters to follow gender roles. Sophie, Paige, Tasha, and Carole took decisions which were suitable for them and moved forward in life. Until the end, all these characters didn't show any features that were like the ones which the traditional women followed.

Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One » 25 Dec 2018, 17:18

Gender roles is always a thorny issue, not just for the female characters of the book but also in life. What is the definition of a successful woman? Different people have different views, and if a woman fails to realize her intrinsic value and know her limits, she may try to please everyone and end up frustrating herself and wearing herself out.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”