Moral Lesson

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: Moral Lesson

Post by Sweetp120 »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 13:26 It seems like the book isn't trying to teach a lesson so much as it is trying to cause the reader to really think critically about their own morality. In my opinion, that's a more valuable goal for the book to have.
I think depending on the book I agree with this statement when it comes to the question of morality.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I feel disillusioned about a life of accomplishments after reading about the surgeon McDowell.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

One lesson we can learn here is to not judge people no matter how bad their behavior seems to be. There is always room for change and for redemption.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

lesler wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 10:05 I feel like the author touched hard on ethics, specifically euthanasia. What Hiram did was kind, but not necessarily right.
I agree with your response - ethics was always an underlying theme and when what he did was unethical it was touched upon even when it wasn’t directly pointed out by the author
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

For me, the moral I took from it is the work we need to do to maintain our personal bonds and appreciate what we have while we have it. Making an effort to bring a change in other's lives is the greatest joy a person can get irrespective of the materialistic reality of our society, which is weakening our personal bonds and making us go after money all our lives until it's time to regret.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

It made me considering things from others point of views also before enforcing my own point. It makes you value things the way they are as someone else out there is struglling to hold life together every single day.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Readers can get a lot of moral lesson from this story. It just depends on how you interpret it. For me, the moral of the story is that all are actions have their corresponding consequences and so we should always think about that before we do or even say something.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I definitely thought there were moral lessons in the book. I think Hiram didn’t have a lot of morals in the beginning of the book. But in the second half of the book he changes and is more reflective. I think then he has more morals and values and appreciates people more
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I learned that people evolve with time. Our actions are always perceived differently by others and no one is good or bad. If we take time to understand why people do what they do, things would make more sense.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Whereas there may be moral lessons to be gleaned from the book, this is not the ideal way of passing across moral lessons. Neither do I think that it was the author's motive to pass along any moral lessons. There are too many controversies, and a naive mind genuinely seeking for morals may get lost or misled in the midst of them.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The book has made me appreciate my own father. I am thankful he is nothing like Hiram.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Charlyt wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 01:28 For me, the moral lesson of the book is that every action you do, and/or everything you say has a consequence, whether you are aware of it or not. And this consequence may be directed to you, to the people around you, or both.

This is the exact lesson I got from the book. McDowell caused a basic reverberation of all the times I've heard this from my mother, or the not-so-fond memories of the times in school our class was collectively punished for the actions of an individual, despite the fact we were almost always never responsible.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

You have to think before you do something. Just because it's advantageous for you, you shouldn't engage in all sorts illegal and unethical deeds. You shouldn't aid in bad things because they always backfire on you. Like that there are many things you can learn from various characters.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

The moral lesson here is that no one is perfect but we will reap what we sow.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

For me, the lesson has to do with karma. One day, just as he did, people will have to face the consequences of their actions (or lack of actions).

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”