Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Post by Zora C Penter »

I think certain shows, *cough* Game of Thrones *cough*, have almost normalized on screen or in book portrayals of incestuous relationships. I am not saying that I condone this, but a book that has what is by definition a pseudo-incestuous relationship instead of an incestuous relationship is tame in comparison. I didn't like the relationship because I felt it was unhealthy for both partners in a number of ways.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Zora C Penter wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 16:47 I think certain shows, *cough* Game of Thrones *cough*, have almost normalized on screen or in book portrayals of incestuous relationships. I am not saying that I condone this, but a book that has what is by definition a pseudo-incestuous relationship instead of an incestuous relationship is tame in comparison. I didn't like the relationship because I felt it was unhealthy for both partners in a number of ways.
I told you I was going to follow you around this forum agreeing with you, so here I am again. I think you've sadly hit the nail on the head with GoT normalizing stuff like this; I'm surprised how many people find it palatable. (I don't really.)

One thing that's been driving me CRAZY about this relationship though- that isn't related to the incest- is that it seems like we are ultimately led to believe that Tasha got pregnant on purpose to stay with Billie? (As McDowell had insinuated to her mom, although this is "confirmed" to us via Sophie's perspective at the funeral later in the book.) AND it seems like it was portrayed as... kind of a nice thing? A thing that meant she really loved Billie?

Did anyone else get sent this vibe? Did I misunderstand what I was supposed to take away? I don't get it!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 19:20
Zora C Penter wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 16:47 I think certain shows, *cough* Game of Thrones *cough*, have almost normalized on screen or in book portrayals of incestuous relationships. I am not saying that I condone this, but a book that has what is by definition a pseudo-incestuous relationship instead of an incestuous relationship is tame in comparison. I didn't like the relationship because I felt it was unhealthy for both partners in a number of ways.
I told you I was going to follow you around this forum agreeing with you, so here I am again. I think you've sadly hit the nail on the head with GoT normalizing stuff like this; I'm surprised how many people find it palatable. (I don't really.)

One thing that's been driving me CRAZY about this relationship though- that isn't related to the incest- is that it seems like we are ultimately led to believe that Tasha got pregnant on purpose to stay with Billie? (As McDowell had insinuated to her mom, although this is "confirmed" to us via Sophie's perspective at the funeral later in the book.) AND it seems like it was portrayed as... kind of a nice thing? A thing that meant she really loved Billie?

Did anyone else get sent this vibe? Did I misunderstand what I was supposed to take away? I don't get it!
You did warn me! I got that vibe as well. There were quite a few things that were presented as "normal" in the novel that really shouldn't have been. Billie himself was a very flawed character. Subservience is what seemed to attract him to Shristi the most.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I feel even though they are not blood siblings the relationship between tash and Billy was inappropriate. But it did not offend me. They lacked appropriate supervision and discipline from both carol and hiram, added in the relationship happening.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Yeah i was offended but the reality is such people exist and the author tried to portray them.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html

Post by Aniza Butt »

Yeah i was offended but the reality is such people exist and the author tried to portray them.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I'm not offended by their relationship. But it's still inappropriate since they are step siblings living in the same house. Also, the approach Tasha took for that was really inappropriate.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

This situation seemed a bit out of place to me. I wasn't expecting it and it made me a bit uncomfortable.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I don't think offended would be the right word to describe how I felt about Billy and Tasha's relationship. Grossed out might be better. I know they weren't raised as brother and sister, but it was still weird to me. Also, I feel like they were both equally responsible for the baby. When Hiram tried to blame everything on Tasha I was horrified. I wish Billy and Tasha had been able to work things out sooner.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Honestly, it grossed me out a bit. I thought that topic went a bit too far, but it also highlighted the temptations teenagers can face. It was certainly a taboo situation that a lot of us don't spend a lot of time talking about.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I don't think it's technically incestuous, but it is kind of weird!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I don't think I'd use the word 'offended' but I did think it made me uncomfortable, especially when it seemed quite one-sided at times
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

Although the parents shouldn't have allowed it or brushed it off, they weren't related by blood or even grew up together as siblings. I wouldn't call it incestuous but there should have been boundaries set up to become a family. The whole situation was a bit messed up. Tasha threw herself at Billie and he relented quickly. Then he wasn't allowed to see his son. It felt like there were a lot of control issues here.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

The relationship between Billy and Tasha is not actually incestuous, so to speak. They are not related to each other- other than step siblings. There is no blood relation. Further, I wasn’t offended by it. It was a bit unexpected, but perhaps because of today’s society, it didn’t really phase me.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

But it did not come across that offensive to me as they were not biological related.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”