Shifting attitude to women

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Shifting attitude to women

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Farida Bali wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 09:25
Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 16:42 McDowell is the an abuser of women. Wherever he was, he is making victim to the different ladies. At home, he ignores his wife and at the place of his professional activities he plays with women like a game. He thinks women are only the source of entertainment for him and nothing more.
But his attitude towards women changed significantly after meeting Maud, her daughter and Hulga.
Okay, Thanks for the compliment.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I don't think we have enough information to say that there even was a change in attitude. When he's on the run, he has to rely on anyone he can to get by. He's smart enough to know how to endear himself to women to get the kind of sympathy he wants. He probably would have had less success with men. The author simply chose to place more women in his path.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

The shift reflected a growth in his character as a human being.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Sometimes it takes a person being pushed to a corner to realize the error of his/her ways. For me that doesnt matter as much as the end result. If it changes a person for the better, then its worth going through the process
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html

Post by Lynsyn »

In my opinion, it did start from loneliness before he met Maud. But as Hiram met Hulga and Winona, I do think that it is more of growth rather than loneliness.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think it was a definite shift in his development as a character. He treated women with such disdain thinking that they had nothing else to offer besides their bodies. He learned powerful lessons from these women, however. He learned humility and understanding. Basically what it means to be a human with feelings.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

His change in how he viewed women definitely showed his growth as a character.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

It was part loneliness and part his shift in attitude. He did had a very profound impact on him by women, especially Maud changed him for good. It was a big turn in his character.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html

Post by Shalu1707 »

He did became considerate n the second half of the book, I think it was because of no human contact that he eventually started valuing others. He actually listened to those women's and was considerate and caring towards them as he tried understood mistakes of his past.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree - his relationships with Maude hulga and Winona showed how his opinion of women went through a transformation - he seemed to value their opinions and showed genuine respect for them in a way he did not express in the beginning of the book
StelKel1592
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stelkel1592.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by StelKel1592 »

I think it's a bit of both, really: it's a response to his overwhelming loneliness (and ironically, despite his low opinion of women, they are the ones who are able to answer that loneliness) and that facilitates his development as a character/human being. Great question!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I believe the shift in Hiram’s improved character comes from both growth as a human being and overwhelming loneliness. I wish he had more time to experience his new self before his story ended.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Hannahberry »

kdstrack wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 16:10 I think it was loneliness. When he was on the run, he didn't have all his internet of connections and activities to fall back on to fill up the emptiness. Being alone made him realize that he needed other people.
Completely agree with this comment, I think a big part of him opening up to women was about loneliness and a need for human contact
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am not so sure I would call the shift subtle in his perception of women. But the man was in no way done shifting at the end of the novel either. He still treated plenty of women as throwaway pieces...just treated them a tad better in the meantime.

I also think that this stance has quite a bit to say about the author's perception of women as well. The way he describes new female characters in comparison to male characters as well as what drives both genders appear quite sexist.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Zora C Penter wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 18:31 I am not so sure I would call the shift subtle in his perception of women. But the man was in no way done shifting at the end of the novel either. He still treated plenty of women as throwaway pieces...just treated them a tad better in the meantime.

I also think that this stance has quite a bit to say about the author's perception of women as well. The way he describes new female characters in comparison to male characters as well as what drives both genders appear quite sexist.
I guess I’m just gonna follow you around this board quoting you, Zora. Hope you don’t mind.

I agree. To me, it seemed like Coles *wanted* there to be a shift but could not pull it off because:

1. He could not let Hiram stay in one place and therefore be committed to a woman. This means functionally, Hiram’s behavior isn’t different even if his inner experience is. This is a major flaw in the book to me. Coles seems to focus on attitude more than action in many places and I think that’s a misguided way to value character.

2. Coles himself doesn’t know how to treat his female characters like fully fleshed-out regular humans and so his portraits of the women and how Hiram interacts with them therefore don’t come off as less sexist to me in Part Two.

I will say, Maud is a little bit different in terms of Hiram’s willingness to risk his freedom to stay close by as Kitsy recovers. So I get those who might tell me Maud is something of a real change. I am just not sure it is enough. And of all the women Hiram is with, Maud and Roma were probably my favorites. I suppose actually liked Kitsy pretty well and her relationship with Maud, even if I don’t agree with Kitsy’s decision.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”